Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I liked it for a first issue was not bad.

I felt sorry for Niko the photos with her friends and A-Force she has gone through many disappointments lately. What leads me to ask where is Singularity?

Well we know that time travel almost never has a happy ending there are always consequences.

I liked it. I had at first my doubts when the ongoing was announced, but I feel like the writer has done a good job.

Art was amazing as always, Anka is one of my fave. Can't wait for issue 2

I really enjoyed that. Glad to see that they are going to address Nico's arm, or at least it was referenced, so I assume it will be addressed. I just hope when they eventually get the gang back together, they don't forget Klara. I always thought she had potential.

I wonder if the Gert that Chase saw in the last series, when he got hit by the car, will be addressed. Or is that just something we're supposed to forget?

BANNED

I thought this was pretty OK, if I'm being honest this probably would've worked better as an issue 0 introductory, but it is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevets View Post
    Victor was killed in that terrible Vision series.
    Clearly there's an absence of taste here..
    Last edited by TitanMax; 09-13-2017 at 03:42 PM.

Victor was killed in that terrible Vision series.
    I found that Vision series to be one of the best things I've read lately. It was like reading an episode of the Twilight Zone.

As for this issue, I quite liked it! The purposeful aging of the characters was a little jarring at first, but I think aging them feels real in a way that maybe they wouldn't have for me if their status quo was still "kids running from adults". The opening with Nico was a telling snippet of her life at that moment, and I agree with those who would've been happy to stay with that for the whole issue! I guess there's a lot to get to in this first arc!

Any thoughts on who the villain is? It's gotta be an old face, right?

-Pav, who can wait for Victor's eventual return...

EDIT: If this series lasts long enough, we've gotta have a substantial Runaways / Young Avengers thing.
    Last edited by Pav; 09-13-2017 at 04:21 PM.
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

BANNED

I purposely held off on reading this because I had a strong suspicion it was going to suck. Over the Summer, I binge read all the Runaways books for the first time and Vaughan's run is probably my all time favorite Marvel book. And based on everything we knew going into this, I was worried.

And...I was kinda right. It wasn't awful, but it wasn't very good either. Very rushed, though I think that's less evidence of it being a mini (which as someone said, we know it isn't one) and more so that Rowell hasn't written comics before and considers Gert their favorite character and wanted them right back from the start. I'm willing to see where it goes, but this really should have been two issues. Also, if it had been two issues, we may have actually gotten to see Molly and Karolina. What kind of team book with a confirmed roster doesn't show the entire cast in the first issue? (Maybe just a little bitter since Karolina's my favorite)

I still don't like Chase's new design at all, but, considering the time jump, I can accept Nico's. Gert looked...odd at times.

Definitely gonna keep supporting this book but I do hope my initial fears about the book's quality don't come to pass. Other things I hope: The book lasts long enough to get a different writer (Sorry Rainbow, but this issue didn't win my faith), Victor comes back to life (Much as I loved Vision, the retcons involving him and his death were BS), Klara isn't forgotten about, the characters all stay true to themselves, and, of course, GET XAVIN BACK FROM F**KING SPACE, and undo Whedon's change in the character.

Issue #1.

I really enjoyed this.

Diving right in, I felt that Rainbow GETS it and GETS Nico. I absolutely loved the tension and desperation of Nico's efforts and the expository narrative of the staff of one. I felt it. And those feelings of urgency and pressure were only made stronger by the multiple failures to cast, as Nico's panic overpowers her sensibilities, faced with the emotional grenade lain before her.

This is GERT.
    GERTRUDE. YORKES. [uh.... excuse me while I get a friggin tissue]
    And despite the fact that what Chase did was irresponsible and condemnable, I cannot imagine the mind numbing chatter of "should-I-shouldn't-I" that must be going on in poor Nico's head in that moment. And then Rainbow captions it perfectly: "Nico would have saved all those spells for Gert -- if she ever thought she'd have this chance."
    And on that note, speaking of the staff of one's limitations and an earlier criticism in the thread specifically calling out a panel in the pages of A-Force where Nico explains having to broaden her vocabulary for purposes precisely like this -- even foreign languages -- I can whole heartedly accept AND believe, that perhaps since that time our young sorceress has, once again, hit a wall. Its not an outlandish stretch of the imagination and I definitely don't feel that its nerfing the character. Limitations have always been one of the more charming aspects of Nico's inherited powers, imho, and I welcome a return to creative thinking (demonstrated by each subsequent procedural spell executed in this issue -- well done, Rainbow!) and a purity of the word selection process more akin to the earliest (and best) Runaways material (I found a LOT of the spell casting throughout A-Force to be less impressive and a bit too straight forward zappy, for my taste).

Its very much a set up issue -- but the raw, emotional beats more than make up for (also explain that rushed feeling for me) how quickly it read.
    Officially, this is my new IT book. I'm dodging spoiler threads. I'm avoiding reviews. And I'm thrilled I did, because reading it yesterday while on that stupid elliptical machine was EVERYTHING, and there is so much to look forward to -- so many questions to be answered.

1) WTF Chase? (But for real, thank you omg Chase you great big dumb ass)
    2) WHAT has Nico done to herself? And how? (Restored arm. Restored staff)
    3) Who dat CAT? (also, yaaaaaaaaaaaas kitty kitty!)
    4) Evil CAT?
    5) Wait, TWO maybe evil CATS???
    6) Who dat Inspector-Gadget-villain-looking-mutha-fella-(lady??) -- blast from the PAST???? Is that Mama Yorkes? Alterna-Gert? WHUT?
    7) How long till Anka starts adding shirtless Chase and/or other dudes?

I mean that's just a few things -- because there are OBVIOUSLY loads more less specific to this issue -- Karolina, Molly, Klara, Victor, Xavin, Julie, Kitties, my blood pressure-- all of it.
    So happy this wasn't garbage. So happy to have that nostalgic peppering without overpowering. This sh!t needs a letter's column, because SOMEONE's got printable JOY to express.

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    EDIT: If this series lasts long enough, we've gotta have a substantial Runaways / Young Avengers thing.
    Last edited by Fokken; 09-14-2017 at 04:57 AM.

I agree with Fokken.

-Pav, who found Nico's spelling casting on point for the first time in a long time...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Quote Originally Posted by TitanMax View Post
    I thought this was pretty OK, if I'm being honest this probably would've worked better as an issue 0 introductory, but it is what it is.

Clearly there's an absence of taste here..
    Or perhaps...and stay with me here...a difference of opinion? Shocker, I know.

Or perhaps...and stay with me here...a difference of opinion? Shocker, I know.
    Yes, lets not go and badger people for their respective tastes, y'all. Don't be tacky.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Yes, lets not go and badger people for their respective tastes, y'all. Don't be tacky.
    Yes well, he called Vision terrible for no reason. It didn't need to have an adjective, we only have one recent Viison series afterall they could have said "in that Vision series"

The taste response was called for

Rise above.

Quote Originally Posted by Knives View Post
    I liked it for a first issue was not bad.

I felt sorry for Niko the photos with her friends and A-Force she has gone through many disappointments lately. What leads me to ask where is Singularity?

Well we know that time travel almost never has a happy ending there are always consequences.
    With Dazzler, presumably. Let's hope Blue shows up in Alison's one-shot (which wasn't in the leaked solicits - postponed to January?).

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelman View Post
    I wonder where Victor and Klara are?
    Victor is dead. I would imagine Klara was either adopted, or has joined the Xavier School, and therefore won't be showing up.

Thought it was a great first issue. The art is beautiful, the writing is pretty good and I'm loving the reintroduction of 3 characters. It doesn't feel like its trying to cram in a lot of stuff in 22 pages. Count me in for the rest of the series!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    Pretty sure it was confirmed to be mini thanks to the TPB scheduled.
    That's not a solid confirmation for anything. They usually don't put on the text for that stuff till it's about to go out.

I liked the issue, even if I was a little disappointed by how fast it read. It felt like a ten page book because all we got to see was Gert's return, no matter how well written it was.
    It sucks that it looks like Molly will only appear in the third or fourth issue. The first arc may work better as a graphic novel, by the looks of it.