Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

The telepaths. Nowadays, they all seem able to do any psychic feat. It was better when they were more specialized.

Quote Originally Posted by Arachne View Post
    The telepaths. Nowadays, they all seem able to do any psychic feat. It was better when they were more specialized.
    You read my mind. I came here to say the exact same thing.

I love Jean Grey and Emma Frost. I like Rachel and Prof. X. I have nothing against Psylocke and the Cuckoos. But god, their telepathy have gotten to ridiculous levels. The problem isn't that it's so overpowered, rather how overly convenient it is.

Creating illusions should be ridiculously advanced feat. But nowadays writers treat it like some basic skill. That's just one of many examples of how much ridiculous telepathy has gotten.

Astonishing Member Ianbarreilles's Avatar

I think Monica Rambeau should be depowered not entirely but by just a bit I think al ewing tried to make her very overpowered in his ultimates run.

I didn't like how the writer made Monica way too overpowered while Carol Danvers the character marvel has been claiming to be their most powerful superhero and the one character they've been pushing relentlessly gets weaker and weaker by each and every comic she appears in.
    Last edited by Ianbarreilles; 09-13-2017 at 10:07 PM.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ianbarreilles View Post
    I didn't like how the writer made Monica way too overpowered while Carol Danvers the character marvel has been claiming to be their most powerful superhero and the one character they've been pushing relentlessly gets weaker and weaker by each and every comic she appears in.
    I think Marvel has been pushing Carol as the mightiest hero, but in the Marvel vernacular, that tagline doesn't necessarily equate to the most powerful. Consider that the Avengers as a whole are referred to as the World's Mightiest Heroes, but there have been several members and entire versions of the team that weren't necessarily the most powerful characters on the planet. Carol is plenty powerful, and plenty mighty. They've handicapped her by making it next to impossible for Carol to power up to Binary levels on her own and on demand. I agree that they should get rid of it. I would get rid of the Binary powers altogether and let Carol's current cosmic abilities scale up normally over time to those same levels.

I also agree with you that Carol wasn't the most powerful person on the Ultimates. But I don't think that she needed to be. She was there to fill the role of the government liaison and the embodiment of geopolitical concerns necessary to keep a team this powerful grounded in reality. That said, Carol had her moments. Some can argue that she had more feats in Ultimates than characters who are clearly more powerful than she. (She's the only woman that I know of that has ever delivered the coup de grace to Thanos and knocked him out, with or without help.)

I disagree with you that Monica should be depowered just because Carol is stricken with idiotic limitations. What you posit is a rather disturbing argument. I don't think it's necessary to deploy a crab barrel mentality to the wonderful women of Marvel. Let Carol rise or fall based on her own merits.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

The Richards family without a doubt. Reed should not be able to figure out every universe shaking problem in 5 minutes. He used to spend all his time in his labs working on things. Valeria is the same as her dad. She is just so smart that it makes her a walking plot device. Sure keep her very smart, but not some super genius.

And then there is Franklin. I have been saying since Heroes Reborn it is time to once and for all strip him of most of his godlike powers. Jut have him do something really big and in the process burn out a good 90% of his power level. Leave him some of his mutant powers sure but not anywhere near like his has been used before where he can tame beings like Galactus.

BANNED

Scarlet witch
    Doom.

Steve Rogers
    The guy is supposed to be "peak human", he should not be able to knock down Iron Man or to match Spider Man's speed.
    Keep him peak human, don't make him lowkey meta human.

Black Cat
    If she has no super human stats, her agility should be a joke to characters like Silk, not something that allows here to fight them.
    Otherwise give here proper cat powers.
    Last edited by mugiwara; 09-14-2017 at 10:40 AM.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

While I have Enjoyed Scarlet Witch being Powerful in Games like Marvel Heroes Online and now what she might be in Future Fight, overall in the Comics I NEVER Liked OP Wanda cause of Bendis.

To Me Bendis Started OP Wanda and Made her able to do pretty much ANYTHING Cause ~~~ Bendis Plot Device Character. SMH. =/

I feel she has been greatly downed in power since AvX and Uncanny Avengers Vol. 1, Her Power Limiters in Robinson's Scarlet Witch Solo where a GREAT Welcome over the OP she can do anything she thinks just a few years ago.

So while I like a Strong Wanda, it is a Strong Wanda that comes from Wisdom and Focusing her Teachings and Skills rather then Raw Un-Canon Power.
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    Black Cat
    If she has no super human stats, her agility should be a joke to characters like Silk, not something that allows here to fight them.
    Otherwise give here proper cat powers.
    As a matter of fact, she DOES have super human stats granted to her by some of the paraphernalia she wears. She was also mutated to manipulate probability fields in order to cause bad luck on other people, which certainly can come in handy in a fight.

Just remembered something after seeing talk about Scarlet Witch.

Magic in general needs to be nerfed. Magic users should not be able to do anything and everything, there needs to be magical laws in place like the laws of physics. Like there needs to be severe consequences and be almost impossible to resurrect, change reality and time. Magic needs to stop being used as a way to solve all problems or an escape when a writer writes themselves into a corner.
    Last edited by Crimz; 09-14-2017 at 11:08 AM.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Just remembered something after seeing talk about Scarlet Witch.

Magic in general needs to be nerfed. Magic users should not be able to do anything and everything, there needs to be magical laws in place like the laws of physics. Like there needs to be severe consequences and be almost impossible to resurrect, change reality and time. Magic needs to stop being used as a way to solve all problems or an escape when a writer writes themselves into a corner.
    If You Read Robinson's EXCELLENT Scarlet Witch Solo, he does Just That Crimz! He shows the Cost and Limits of Using Magic and Mystic Spells in a unique way. I don't want to give away more, but read it and you find that in the story. ;-)
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Jason Aaron also decided to show that magic is not a bed of roses and has some pretty bad consequences during his time on Doctor Strange. But then again, some fans dragged him precisely because he decided to nerf Strange... you can't please everyone with those kind of decisions.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

To me there is one way to tell whether a character is to powerful. Do you have to forget that they have certain powers in order to make conflicts interesting? If so then they are probably to powerful for their roll. Cosmic beings like the Silver Surfer are suppose to be incalculably strong because they play in that interplanetary interdimensional arena. It's strange when they give more earth based heroes that kind of power though, because it pretty much makes all their classic villains and supporting cast kind of useless over night.

Quote Originally Posted by CJStriker View Post
    If You Read Robinson's EXCELLENT Scarlet Witch Solo, he does Just That Crimz! He shows the Cost and Limits of Using Magic and Mystic Spells in a unique way. I don't want to give away more, but read it and you find that in the story. ;-)
    I'll try it out when I can.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Ianbarreilles View Post
    I think Monica Rambeau should be depowered not entirely but by just a bit I think al ewing tried to make her very overpowered in his ultimates run.

I only recall Marvel ever describing Carol to be their most powerful superhero in regards to the MCU, not MU.

Seems inevitable that multiple writers writing one character causes inconsistencies with their power sets and personalities.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher