Fantastic Member Red Robe Jaldari's Avatar

Default Red Hood and the Outlaws question

Does it still have the same trashy fun feel that it had during the first 10 issues?

Quote Originally Posted by Red Robe Jaldari View Post
    Does it still have the same trashy fun feel that it had during the first 10 issues?
    Well, from what I've read, it's a genuinely good book with great character interactions, probably the greatest among the team books of Rebirth at least, so idk about it being "trashy," lol.

The only issue I've read this year was the Annual, tho, which was a Nightwing guest issue that was primarily comedic and cute, so there's that.

BANNED

Bizarro's smart now

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson - The Dark Heir View Post
    Well, from what I've read, it's a genuinely good book with great character interactions, probably the greatest among the team books of Rebirth at least, so idk about it being "trashy," lol.

The only issue I've read this year was the Annual, tho, which was a Nightwing guest issue that was primarily comedic and cute, so there's that.
    Minus the the space stuff and mystic stuff it always felt very PM Entertainment to me. Fast pace with lots of action, big boobs, lots of chaotic situations and colorful bad guys sometimes to the point of parody...

I like it by the way.
    Last edited by Red Robe Jaldari; 09-07-2017 at 12:01 AM.

Mighty Member

Minus the the space stuff and mystic stuff it always felt very PM Entertainment to me. Fast pace with lots of action, big boobs, lots of chaotic situations and colorful bad guys sometimes to the point of parody...

I like it by the way.
    Ahhh you were a fan of N52 Outlaws? Alot of people like Rebirth way better because its went away from that stuff. I hated N52 Outlaws but love Rebirth, because no its not trashy imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Alycat View Post
    Ahhh you were a fan of N52 Outlaws? Alot of people like Rebirth way better because its went away from that stuff. I hated N52 Outlaws but love Rebirth, because no its not trashy imo.
    I read some oddball DC and Marvel books and don't read Big 2 for the most part.

Well, it has been consistently good since rebirth. It is fun, has action and entertaining stories.

Quote Originally Posted by The Learner View Post
    Well, it has been consistently good since rebirth. It is fun, has action and entertaining stories.
    https://comicvine.gamespot.com/red-h...e/4000-482622/

Wait, this is not the last issue?
    They restarted it?

Yeah. There was an inbetween volume, Red Hood/Arsenal, and now a new series starring Hood, Bizarro and Artemis as a Dark Trinity. It's been getting pretty good reviews, as mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    Yeah. There was an inbetween volume, Red Hood/Arsenal, and now a new series starring Hood, Bizarro and Artemis as a Dark Trinity. It's been getting pretty good reviews, as mentioned.
    Is it very similar to pre Rebirth Outlaws?

BANNED

Thankfully, no, it isn't. I HATED the Nu52 Outlaws, partially for the bad art and awful overall writing, and partially because of how badly it screwed up Roy and Kory's characters. RebirthOutlaws though? The characters all really work and especially work well together, the art is a couple steps up, the jokes are actually funny, and the storytelling isn't crap.

Not sure if you only liked it NuOutlaws because it was bad, but if you thought it was good, you'll LOVE Rebirth Outlaws.

Astonishing Member

In a sense yes. It still features Jason Todd as Red Hood leading a small group of himself and 2 others, including one other male and one female. They do still get into stuff and shenanigans, sometimes intentionally and sometimes not so much (there's not as many overtly "colorful" bad guys as before, though the run is still respectively young at this juncture). It's also still reflective of the goings-on through the narrative boxes -- mainly from Jason's perspective, but also from his companions as well when appropriate -- which gives us loads of insight on how the characters are feeling about what they're dealing with as they deal with it. The two males on the team also become very close over the course of the issues, to the point of being like surrogate brothers (though the brotherly dynamics are quite different).

On the other hand, due to the overall tone this book carries itself with, along with just how different these new companions are to Roy and Kori, the new Red Hood and the Outlaws series is quite bit dissimilar to the original. While Jason is still Red Hood leading a team of 3 including a male and female, Artemis is on completely a different wavelength from Kori. She is more serious-minded more of the time (so not just when something serious is going on), and to that end, she's more gruff. Jason and Artemis eventually bond over this aspect they share, along with the positive traits they both hold-fast to as they get to learn about each other. Not quite like Jason and Kori's relationship at all. And then there's Bizarro. For starters, he not like any Bizarro you may know. On top of that, his and Jason's brotherly friendship is different than Jason's with Roy: the latter was more "straight brother and frat brother playing it loose together" respectively, where the two bonded and become close over their similarities in background and underlying dispositions, while the former is more a "big brother/little brother" dynamic between Jason and Bizarro respectively that has generous amounts of "father figure" on Jason's end.

Whereas I would say that the first volume's Outlaws became friends and then family because of their overall similarities, I'd then say that the current volume's Outlaws became friends and then family in spite of their overall differences.

As mentioned, the tone is more down to earth, in a sense, then the previous volume, and the plots aren't as overtly colorful, to borrow your phrase-age again, in comparison (though, once again, stuff still happens and shenanigans are still had). However, the same level of character introspection that was prevalent in the first volume is just as so in the current one, and coupled with the tone, it's provided some seriously poignant moments in spite of the volume not being nearly as extensive yet. The new group eventually becomes just as tight-knit a family as the original group did, in that same "how did they ever survive before they met each other?" feel as before.

I, too, enjoyed the first volume of the Outlaws, both for its zaniness and for its own poignant moments. Since you do, I recommend getting the sequel series to the first volume, which as mentioned is called "Red Hood/Arsenal". It picks up not long after its predecessor left off, and features the same vibes as the original Outlaws, while also providing a close to that era of their story at its conclusion. Also, don't pay much mind to those who have a hate-on for it or the first volume, and don't let it sour you on trying the current one whenever you can.

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/red-h...al/4050-82470/

With that said, I do recommend the current volume, just as much as I do the first and the interlude. You might find more similarities to the first volume than you might think, or than I pointed out, and you might also find something new to enjoy about what's different about it.