Fantastic Member Red Robe Jaldari's Avatar

Default Is Dawn of the Jedi wrapped up proper?

Does the series have a proper ending? There was a book in that era. Should i read that before i read the comics series or after?

Quote Originally Posted by Red Robe Jaldari View Post
    Does the series have a proper ending? There was a book in that era. Should i read that before i read the comics series or after?
    As I understand it, the comics never got a proper ending and the novel is kind of a spinoff that takes place within the scope of the comic.

Yeah, the original EU had a few loose ends here and there. There were plans to further the novel continuity, with stuff such as Sword of the Jedi and possibly new Dawn books, but when they did the continuity overhaul that was pretty much jettisoned.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Yeah, the original EU had a few loose ends here and there.
    I think that it was always an opened-ended project. If left alone, in theory, there could always be one more story, one more generation era to create and build on, one more corner of the Galaxy to bring into the light, etc. So, I think the EU/Legends would always have had some loose ends hanging, just like the Disney canon stuff will (up until a third reboot, if that happens). While not the last chronological story in Legends or the last one published, I think the Crucible novel was supposed to the the grand finale, of sorts to the Legends imprint. I didn't like it very much, but there it is.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    There were plans to further the novel continuity, with stuff such as Sword of the Jedi and possibly new Dawn books, but when they did the continuity overhaul that was pretty much jettisoned.
    As I understood it, Sword of the Jedi was canceled before the reboot, so we probably would not've gotten it even without the overhaul (never really understood why a novel that was never even written in the first place became such a holy grail to the fanbase). Also, the decision that the franchise would be rebooted wasn't made until quite a few things in the new canon were underway. For example, A New Dawn (the Rebel's prequel novel) was being drafted before it was know how exactly the old materials were going to be handled, meaning that the Rebels show was being created at a time where there was a possibility that it would coexist with at least some Legends material (now, I don't know how quickly it took the Story Group to deicide on a hard reboot, but it did sound like it wasn't a snap decision).

As far as the comics were concerned, Dawn of the Jedi did have an ending in its final issue, and while it wasn't a cliffhanger, it wasn't the full story either. Kinda like what would have happened if Star Wars simply ended with Episode VII...
    "Ignore them. They're nothing but a bunch of basement dwellers who spend all day whining on the 'net. Not a single open-minded one in the bunch."
    --Andre Briggs, Justice League International #1

Fantastic Member Red Robe Jaldari's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cel View Post
    As far as the comics were concerned, Dawn of the Jedi did have an ending in its final issue, and while it wasn't a cliffhanger, it wasn't the full story either. Kinda like what would have happened if Star Wars simply ended with Episode VII...
    Thanks. I will finnish it now that i am over the shock of the EU being dead.