Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Default Jean Grey In The Avengers: Can/Should It Work?

This issue keeps popping up in other threads. It has since the Bleeding Cool rumor broke about Jean Grey's possible return this December. That rumor hasn't been confirmed yet, but the early leaks from the December solicits make it a strong possibility. Granted, Marvel has teased this many times before, but let's assume for a moment that it's the real deal and Jean returns, Phoenix in tow.

There's an ongoing concern that once she comes back, Marvel will try to turn her into an Avenger. They've already had the Phoenix Force show up in other non-X-men books like Mighty Thor. It's still an ongoing plot in Thanos. It's already scheduled to show up again in Marvel Legacy with the 1,000,000 BC team. This could be just another step in that process. When Jean Grey returns, Marvel may want to use her star power to boost the Avengers more than the X-men. They've done this sort of thing in the past, already. They retconned the Maximoff twins so that they're not mutants anymore and have no ties to Magneto. They changed Squirrel Girl's mutant status as well. Why wouldn't they do that to the Phoenix Force? With X-men Dark Phoenix coming out next year, it's going to raise the profile of Jean Grey and the Phoenix. Marvel, being more inclined to help its Avengers line, may try to take advantage of Fox's efforts and get Jean involved with the Avengers.

Now, I get why a lot of X-men fans don't want to see that. Personally, I'd rather Marvel not try to force Jean into the Avengers the same way they did with the Maximoff twins. She is, and always will be, an X-men character at heart. She is very much the heart of the X-men. They've even stated as such in comics like Extraordinary X-men. Removing Jean Grey from the X-men is like removing Thor's Asgardian heritage. It's just too intertwined.

That said, I think there are some scenarios where it can work. In fact, some current books even set a precedent. At the moment, O5 Cyclops is in both an X-men book and a non-X-men book. He has an ongoing and meaningful role in Champions, but he still functions as the same X-man we know and love in X-men Blue. If he can do it, why can't Jean? Even before O5 Cyclops, Logan functioned as both an Avenger and X-man for years. He split time between the teams and managed to make it work. I think Jean might be able to do the same, especially if she had Phoenix powers. If Marvel really wants to raise her profile, then this would be the best way to do it. They would help both the Avengers and the X-men. One side doesn't have to suffer for the sake of another. Having Jean in X-men Blue (or a relaunched Uncanny X-men) and and Avengers title could function. I'm sure some X-men and Avengers fans won't accept it, but so long as it doesn't undermine her core character, I think it could work.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Astonishing Member Ianbarreilles's Avatar

I think so but that's because I want more x-men characters to join the avengers like for example I wouldn't mind if Laura Kinney as wolverine joined an avengers team matter of fact I kinda want it more than Logan.
    Last edited by Ianbarreilles; 09-14-2017 at 03:55 AM.

Working with Phoenix so the Avengers are finally going to admit Cyclops was Right? Good on them time to own up their mistakes.

Ugh, no. I wouldn't mind her being on an Avengers team (a la Rogue, Wolverine, etc.), but if Jean Grey proper comes back, she should be leading the X-Men as her main gig.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    This issue keeps popping up in other threads. It has since the Bleeding Cool rumor broke about Jean Grey's possible return this December. That rumor hasn't been confirmed yet, but the early leaks from the December solicits make it a strong possibility. Granted, Marvel has teased this many times before, but let's assume for a moment that it's the real deal and Jean returns, Phoenix in tow.

There's an ongoing concern that once she comes back, Marvel will try to turn her into an Avenger. They've already had the Phoenix Force show up in other non-X-men books like Mighty Thor. It's still an ongoing plot in Thanos. It's already scheduled to show up again in Marvel Legacy with the 1,000,000 BC team. This could be just another step in that process. When Jean Grey returns, Marvel may want to use her star power to boost the Avengers more than the X-men. They've done this sort of thing in the past, already. They retconned the Maximoff twins so that they're not mutants anymore and have no ties to Magneto. They changed Squirrel Girl's mutant status as well. Why wouldn't they do that to the Phoenix Force? With X-men Dark Phoenix coming out next year, it's going to raise the profile of Jean Grey and the Phoenix. Marvel, being more inclined to help its Avengers line, may try to take advantage of Fox's efforts and get Jean involved with the Avengers.

Now, I get why a lot of X-men fans don't want to see that. Personally, I'd rather Marvel not try to force Jean into the Avengers the same way they did with the Maximoff twins. She is, and always will be, an X-men character at heart. She is very much the heart of the X-men. They've even stated as such in comics like Extraordinary X-men. Removing Jean Grey from the X-men is like removing Thor's Asgardian heritage. It's just too intertwined.

That said, I think there are some scenarios where it can work. In fact, some current books even set a precedent. At the moment, O5 Cyclops is in both an X-men book and a non-X-men book. He has an ongoing and meaningful role in Champions, but he still functions as the same X-man we know and love in X-men Blue. If he can do it, why can't Jean? Even before O5 Cyclops, Logan functioned as both an Avenger and X-man for years. He split time between the teams and managed to make it work. I think Jean might be able to do the same, especially if she had Phoenix powers. If Marvel really wants to raise her profile, then this would be the best way to do it. They would help both the Avengers and the X-men. One side doesn't have to suffer for the sake of another. Having Jean in X-men Blue (or a relaunched Uncanny X-men) and and Avengers title could function. I'm sure some X-men and Avengers fans won't accept it, but so long as it doesn't undermine her core character, I think it could work.
    I don't see why Jean Grey couldn't be a perfectly capable Avenger.

This might also work well if we have two Jean Greys, the returned adult one and the time-lost teenage one. Already, it's been established that the two have different power sets and different perspectives on their common history. At what point do they start becoming separate characters?

I would like to see her in the Avengers or anywhere eles thats not an X-Title. Jean needs some space from the X-Men so she can grow as a character and not get stuck in the same loop of things. I love the team but it can be a toxic environment for some of its characters, and I think Jean is one of them. Give here a couple of years out of X-Books then have her return renewed and rejuvenated.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Jean is an X-men. AvX really soured my opinion of the Avengers. She is much more needed in the X-line

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

If Jean grey comes back, she should be at the helm of the school and the X-teams. Jean was, and is still considered, the heart of the X-Men. Sending the heart to another team seems foolish. She could work as an Avenger, but not with the Phoenix Force. I think that just needs to go away because it ruins characters (i.e. Jean gets jobbed by a no one so the writer can prove what a threat they are). Send Rachel to Avengers instead. You know she'll have to disappear with two Jean's running around anyways lol.

More likely we'll get the return of Jean Grey (adult), and the Phoenix Force gets dumped into another Inhuman or non-mutant who joins the Avengers, since they know best how to train hosts.

Only if she's on Uncanny Avengers with other X-characters. The Duggan run with Rogue, Cable and Deadpool was the best run on that book since it began IMO. If they could do something like that I'd be okay with it.

I think Jean could work well with the Avengers.

Will Jean gave the power of Phoenix? With or without it, Jean could work well with them and would certainly be an asset.

A very powerful Jean would certainly be in-place among Earth's Mightiest Heroes!

I think that being a avenger could be really good for Jean Grey, X-men secluded her too much

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I've long wanted to see Jean moved to the Avengers. It seems all anyone can do with her in the X line is to keep bringing in Scott and then killing her. She has no purpose beyond that.

Just as long as she still appears in the x-world I wouldn't mind her being on an Avengers team.
    First X-Lady

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

It definitely could work, however Jean needs to be pulling double duty. I don't she should become strictly an Avenger, but based on her history, potential for new interactions, and the need for the character to expand her horizon she shouldn't just be stuck in the X-world of things. I think the best role for Jean would be similar to NXM, when she and Xavier were traveling the world I think she could benefit from that kind of exposure or something similar through working with the Avengers.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    I've long wanted to see Jean moved to the Avengers. It seems all anyone can do with her in the X line is to keep bringing in Scott and then killing her. She has no purpose beyond that.
    Yep. *scarlet witch voice* No more Scott, No more deads.

she should date a cute avenger