Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Jean Grey In The Avengers: Can/Should It Work?

This issue keeps popping up in other threads. It has since the Bleeding Cool rumor broke about Jean Grey's possible return this December. That rumor hasn't been confirmed yet, but the early leaks from the December solicits make it a strong possibility. Granted, Marvel has teased this many times before, but let's assume for a moment that it's the real deal and Jean returns, Phoenix in tow.

There's an ongoing concern that once she comes back, Marvel will try to turn her into an Avenger. They've already had the Phoenix Force show up in other non-X-men books like Mighty Thor. It's still an ongoing plot in Thanos. It's already scheduled to show up again in Marvel Legacy with the 1,000,000 BC team. This could be just another step in that process. When Jean Grey returns, Marvel may want to use her star power to boost the Avengers more than the X-men. They've done this sort of thing in the past, already. They retconned the Maximoff twins so that they're not mutants anymore and have no ties to Magneto. They changed Squirrel Girl's mutant status as well. Why wouldn't they do that to the Phoenix Force? With X-men Dark Phoenix coming out next year, it's going to raise the profile of Jean Grey and the Phoenix. Marvel, being more inclined to help its Avengers line, may try to take advantage of Fox's efforts and get Jean involved with the Avengers.

Now, I get why a lot of X-men fans don't want to see that. Personally, I'd rather Marvel not try to force Jean into the Avengers the same way they did with the Maximoff twins. She is, and always will be, an X-men character at heart. She is very much the heart of the X-men. They've even stated as such in comics like Extraordinary X-men. Removing Jean Grey from the X-men is like removing Thor's Asgardian heritage. It's just too intertwined.

That said, I think there are some scenarios where it can work. In fact, some current books even set a precedent. At the moment, O5 Cyclops is in both an X-men book and a non-X-men book. He has an ongoing and meaningful role in Champions, but he still functions as the same X-man we know and love in X-men Blue. If he can do it, why can't Jean? Even before O5 Cyclops, Logan functioned as both an Avenger and X-man for years. He split time between the teams and managed to make it work. I think Jean might be able to do the same, especially if she had Phoenix powers. If Marvel really wants to raise her profile, then this would be the best way to do it. They would help both the Avengers and the X-men. One side doesn't have to suffer for the sake of another. Having Jean in X-men Blue (or a relaunched Uncanny X-men) and and Avengers title could function. I'm sure some X-men and Avengers fans won't accept it, but so long as it doesn't undermine her core character, I think it could work.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Astonishing Member Ianbarreilles's Avatar

I think so but that's because I want more x-men characters to join the avengers like for example I wouldn't mind if Laura Kinney as wolverine joined an avengers team matter of fact I kinda want it more than Logan.
    Last edited by Ianbarreilles; 09-14-2017 at 03:55 AM.

Working with Phoenix so the Avengers are finally going to admit Cyclops was Right? Good on them time to own up their mistakes.

Ugh, no. I wouldn't mind her being on an Avengers team (a la Rogue, Wolverine, etc.), but if Jean Grey proper comes back, she should be leading the X-Men as her main gig.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Ugh, no. I wouldn't mind her being on an Avengers team (a la Rogue, Wolverine, etc.), but if Jean Grey proper comes back, she should be leading the X-Men as her main gig.
    You know, I think the timing is pretty bad here. She should've come back at the beginning of Ressurxion, to lead them to a new path after IvX. No way they're gonna ditch the perfect leader Kitty for her, it really should've been Jean on that role...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Working with Phoenix so the Avengers are finally going to admit Cyclops was Right? Good on them time to own up their mistakes.
    Not according to the cbr.

Although we do not yet know under which circumstances these seven heroes will unite, it’s a safe bet that it will be against a common foe, but the inclusion of the Phoenix on the roster is particularly noteworthy. Once again, this points to the fact that the Phoenix can be a force for good. Whatever threat these Avengers will face, it is one that even she will fight. If she so chooses to side with these superheroes, it must be because she fights on the side of good, of life.
    http://www.cbr.com/marvel-legacy-res...e-jean-grey/3/

BANNED

The Avengers attacked the X-Men, and also, they tried to kill the Phoenix Force. They are the enemy.

Since AvX I simply hate Captain America. I don't want the X-Men playing along with them.

I fully expect this to happen. And it makes no sense - considering everything that's happened with the Avengers vs the Phoenix or Jean returning then turning her back on the X-Men. But I can absolutely see an executive meeting where it's decided that Phoenix joins the Avengers right in time for the Dark Phoenix movie.

It also seems like editors aren't going to greenlight bringing back characters if it's not for a major story and a writer that says I want Jean/Scott/Logan/Prof X and this is the plan for them.

I think the Avengers have already taken enough X-Men at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Ok I must ask, what's with certain forum goers who respond to topics that have nothing to do with cyclops about "cyclops being right"? I've seen multiple people do it and I'm wondering where it's coming from or what it has to do with unrelated topics. (Sorry if this sounds rude, I don't know how else to word it).
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Ok I must ask, what's with certain forum goers who respond to topics that have nothing to do with cyclops about "cyclops being right"? I've seen multiple people do it and I'm wondering where it's coming from or what it has to do with unrelated topics. (Sorry if this sounds rude, I don't know how else to word it).
    It's a confidence thing. Scotty tends to appeal to a particular personality. Was never a fan, myself.

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    It's only one-way folks and anyone who can't perceive this as part of the destruction of the X brand is fooling themselves

Let me know how many iconic Avengers members become part of X teams
    No one wants them to.

Avengers need the X-Men in order to sell, not vice versa. Homo superior indeed!

That said, this very well could be another Rogue situation, in which Jean Grey is stolen from the X-Men.
    Last edited by Disciple of Redd; 09-14-2017 at 10:56 PM.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

You're correct that the X-Men are (still) more important in comics than Avengers. But for how much longer? Every thing that can be done to weaken X and strengthen A has been done and is being done. Eventually mutants and X will lose their luster then Disney can "justifiably" cancel the line like w/ F4.

Again, if this was in good faith it would be inter mixing but the fact it's always only mutants and X characters being taken away and plopped into the middle of alien squads tells you what's really going on
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Did you read AvX, right? I mean, when the Avengers tried to kill the Phoenix Force, because it was a **cough, cough** destructive force **cough, cough**. And what Cyclops said about the same Phoenix Force? Oh, yeah, you got it!

Then, again: working with Phoenix so the Avengers are finally going to admit Cyclops was Right? Good on them time to own up their mistakes.

Jean coming back to life and then joining the Avengers instead of staying with her best friends in the X-Men makes about as much sense as the X-Men ignoring the fact that the Red Skull had Xavier's brain and then leaving it up to the Avengers to stop their old mentor's brain from being used by a villain. Because Phoenix and Xavier are most certainly more important to the Avengers than the X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by CuteClops View Post
    Did you read AvX, right? I mean, when the Avengers tried to kill the Phoenix Force, because it was a **cough, cough** destructive force **cough, cough**. And what Cyclops said about the same Phoenix Force? Oh, yeah, you got it!

Then, again: working with Phoenix so the Avengers are finally going to admit Cyclops was Right? Good on them time to own up their mistakes.
    Yea I remember the story.

Again I ask what cyclops and avx has to do with jean becoming an avenger though (the topic at hand). Cyclops being rigjt or wrong is a separate discussion.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?