Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member PhoenixStudies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    And my point is that is not why she was given the codename Prestige. She was already Marvel Girl or just plain Rachel depending on what book she was in. Prestige has nothing to do with keeping the name Phoenix from her bc of Jean
    Well, I don't buy that at all. You really believe that creating a new code name for Rachel had nothing to do with Teen Jean having Marvel Girl and adult Jean having Phoenix?

The canon explanation was because she wants her own identity separate from Jean. Well they had to do that anyways because Jean has claim to those identities currently.

Quote Originally Posted by Knives View Post
    Ultimates would have been a better team for her than the Avengers.

I have nothing against and would even support. UA also has X-mens and Avengers on the team.

However some care is needed the Phoenix can not become and will never be part of the mythology of the Avengers. If this is the intention of the marvel then they will fail.
    Phoenix within of itself shouldn't be just an X-Concept though. Phoenix is and has always been more of a cosmic entity therefore it should be a part of the greater MU.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Honestly I think from a storyline point right now Jean joining the Avengers would be dumb. She comes back from the dead and her Husband is Dead, Her somewhat sidepiece with delusions of romantic grandeur (Logan) is Dead, her father figure is dead?, and her real father and entire family is dead. Yet she joins a team of strangers instead of being with Storm, Rachel, Nathan, and other X-Men? I know some may say she might want distance or a new start. But it still feels false to me.
    She has close friends outside of the X-Men though. She could room again with Misty Knight or even Colleen Wing would take her in if need be.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 09-14-2017 at 08:40 AM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Fantastic Member

Sure why not? If Wolverine (the most unlikely x-man to join an avengers' team) can, then Jean surely can/should be an Avenger. Maybe writers will stop killing her and put her in love triangles there.

Quote Originally Posted by Knives View Post
    However some care is needed the Phoenix can not become and will never be part of the mythology of the Avengers. If this is the intention of the marvel then they will fail.
    It already part of the Avengers mythos, sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    This issue keeps popping up in other threads. It has since the Bleeding Cool rumor broke about Jean Grey's possible return this December. That rumor hasn't been confirmed yet, but the early leaks from the December solicits make it a strong possibility. Granted, Marvel has teased this many times before, but let's assume for a moment that it's the real deal and Jean returns, Phoenix in tow.

There's an ongoing concern that once she comes back, Marvel will try to turn her into an Avenger. They've already had the Phoenix Force show up in other non-X-men books like Mighty Thor. It's still an ongoing plot in Thanos. It's already scheduled to show up again in Marvel Legacy with the 1,000,000 BC team. This could be just another step in that process. When Jean Grey returns, Marvel may want to use her star power to boost the Avengers more than the X-men. They've done this sort of thing in the past, already. They retconned the Maximoff twins so that they're not mutants anymore and have no ties to Magneto. They changed Squirrel Girl's mutant status as well. Why wouldn't they do that to the Phoenix Force? With X-men Dark Phoenix coming out next year, it's going to raise the profile of Jean Grey and the Phoenix. Marvel, being more inclined to help its Avengers line, may try to take advantage of Fox's efforts and get Jean involved with the Avengers.

Now, I get why a lot of X-men fans don't want to see that. Personally, I'd rather Marvel not try to force Jean into the Avengers the same way they did with the Maximoff twins. She is, and always will be, an X-men character at heart. She is very much the heart of the X-men. They've even stated as such in comics like Extraordinary X-men. Removing Jean Grey from the X-men is like removing Thor's Asgardian heritage. It's just too intertwined.

That said, I think there are some scenarios where it can work. In fact, some current books even set a precedent. At the moment, O5 Cyclops is in both an X-men book and a non-X-men book. He has an ongoing and meaningful role in Champions, but he still functions as the same X-man we know and love in X-men Blue. If he can do it, why can't Jean? Even before O5 Cyclops, Logan functioned as both an Avenger and X-man for years. He split time between the teams and managed to make it work. I think Jean might be able to do the same, especially if she had Phoenix powers. If Marvel really wants to raise her profile, then this would be the best way to do it. They would help both the Avengers and the X-men. One side doesn't have to suffer for the sake of another. Having Jean in X-men Blue (or a relaunched Uncanny X-men) and and Avengers title could function. I'm sure some X-men and Avengers fans won't accept it, but so long as it doesn't undermine her core character, I think it could work.
    On the question of should it or can it work, the bigger questions is how this would effect the health of the x-line. With Rogue and Wolverine both on Avengers teams in the past and maybe Jean in the future too, how far could this go? Maybe Storm will be next, or Psylocke. If we're interested in the x-men becoming the farm team for the Avenger than sure let's support this. I'd prefer the X-men keep their A listers under the x-banner otherwise readership for x-books will drop even further and before you know it, it's the FF all over again.

As for your example of Tyke being on Champions, I don't find that to be a valid comparision. Baby Cyclops and Adult Jean as characters do not have the same history, following or impact. The same is true of the Champions and the Avengers. Because Tyke is not important as a character at this point shipping him wherever doesn't really matter. Moving Jean to the Avengers would be like putting Cap on an X-Team. It's just not who those characters are. From a story point of view I'm not sure how Marvel would sell this as anything other than Jean running away from her past by leaving all her friends and comrades behind. She really cares about her fellow mutants. If new Jean is like the old one I just can't see what would motivate her to leave, especially given that Scott, Logan & Charles are still dead, and OMG Kitty is leading the entire x-line. It would depend on how it's handled but either way I think this is a mistake. Marvel knows this will piss off x-readers. Isn't the point to stop the bleeding, not make deeper cuts?

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    Phoenix within of itself shouldn't be just an X-Concept though. Phoenix is and has always been more of a cosmic entity therefore it should be a part of the greater MU.
    My problem is more that Marvel has screwed with Jean's special connection with the PF. Now everyone is a host. It's clear Marvel struggles to make good decisions when it comes to what should remain sacred and what is open season.

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

Please keep Jean out of xmen. It was bad enough rogue joined.
    X-Men Forever

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfhammer View Post
    On the question of should it or can it work, the bigger questions is how this would effect the health of the x-line. With Rogue and Wolverine both on Avengers teams in the past and maybe Jean in the future too, how far could this go? Maybe Storm will be next, or Psylocke. If we're interested in the x-men becoming the farm team for the Avenger than sure let's support this. I'd prefer the X-men keep their A listers under the x-banner otherwise readership for x-books will drop even further and before you know it, it's the FF all over again.
    Storm technically was an Avenger for a short time.

I'd live to see Jean on a team with Wanda, Carol, and Jessica Drew. Especially considering how much in common Jean and Carol have, to the point that most of the Dark Phoenix Saga plotline was taken from Carol and given to Jean.

What? DPS was supposed to be about BINARY!?!

BANNED

It could work and be a new, fresh direction for her. But with how greatly the x-landscape has changed and no Scott/Logan/Xavier to bog her down she can also do great things there. So ideally I'd like to see both. If other characters can do double duty, so can Jean.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

No. Certain characters just belong on certain teams and Jean is an X-Men. She is the true heir to Xaviers dream and honestly the X-books would have been much better the last 10 years if the editors had just told Morrison no when he brought up killing her again to begin with. It would be like making Captain America a member of the X-Men.

Nope and nope. The "heart" of the xmen belongs with them. Xmen shouldn't be Avengers picking grounds, they ruined Wolverine like that...

Jean can join the Avengers when Thor joins the X-Men.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Working with Phoenix so the Avengers are finally going to admit Cyclops was Right? Good on them time to own up their mistakes.
    Not according to the cbr.

Although we do not yet know under which circumstances these seven heroes will unite, it’s a safe bet that it will be against a common foe, but the inclusion of the Phoenix on the roster is particularly noteworthy. Once again, this points to the fact that the Phoenix can be a force for good. Whatever threat these Avengers will face, it is one that even she will fight. If she so chooses to side with these superheroes, it must be because she fights on the side of good, of life.
    http://www.cbr.com/marvel-legacy-res...e-jean-grey/3/

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Jean can join the Avengers when Thor joins the X-Men.
    OH DEAR, I am laughing out of my mind right now. you nailed it , it is way too funny.

its what i have been saying, seriously why cant mcu just focus on their own, no jean should not join the avengers. it will be like rogue 2.0. xmen has little chemistry with avengers, inhumans or whatever. even the twins are more interesting when they are in xmen stories and interact with magneto.

This idea of grab an xman and put them in other ips has gotten sickening and worse makes other ips look awful.
    Last edited by Jaddor; 09-14-2017 at 01:25 PM.

BANNED

The Avengers attacked the X-Men, and also, they tried to kill the Phoenix Force. They are the enemy.

Since AvX I simply hate Captain America. I don't want the X-Men playing along with them.