Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
    BANNED

the avengers scarlet witch should have had a chton dark witch saga and should have elder magicks and reality altering power levels long ago.then it would not be necessary for avengers to add another reality altering goddess to their ranks. Phoenix should stick with the x men as her moonlighting as a avenger might led to her getting the wolverine treatment when avsx 2 happens.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Yea I remember the story.

Again I ask what cyclops and avx has to do with jean becoming an avenger though (the topic at hand). Cyclops being rigjt or wrong is a separate discussion.
    Wrong! Now would be the time.The Avengers tried to destroy the Phoenix, remember? They attacked the X-Men home, they made Cyclops a killer and a fugitive. Making the Phoenix an Avenger? Seriously? It would be a total hypocrisy.

Jean Grey in the Avengers can/should it work? No! It just wouldn't work out, not after AvX.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CuteClops View Post
    Wrong! Now would be the time.The Avengers tried to destroy the Phoenix, remember? They attacked the X-Men home, they made Cyclops a killer and a fugitive. Making the Phoenix an Avenger? Seriously? It would be a total hypocrisy.

Jean Grey in the Avengers can/should it work? No! It just wouldn't work out, not after AvX.
    Well if you read to the end of the story, the Phoenix manifests in Hope and she ends up joining with the Avengers to defeat Cyclops and heal the damage he caused, so the prospect is not that outlandish. Besides, that story happened more than five years ago which means that Marvel is not writing new stories with the expectations that the average reader will be familiar with AvX, so it is really irrelevant.

Astonishing Member Ianbarreilles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    the avengers scarlet witch should have had a chton dark witch saga and should have elder magicks and reality altering power levels long ago.then it would not be necessary for avengers to add another reality altering goddess to their ranks. Phoenix should stick with the x men as her moonlighting as a avenger might led to her getting the wolverine treatment when avsx 2 happens.
    No please marvel's done enough damage to Wanda's character with avengers disassambled and the house of m and then Rick remenders uncanny avengers run, and most recently secret empire all being prime examples of what I would like to refer to as character assassinations, Wanda being possessed again and being forced to commit murder against her will is the last thing that needs to happen.

Also having Wanda being written as unstable and dangerous to everyone around her and her getting easily possessed by otherworldly forces needs to stop as well it's honestly getting played out and annoying at this point.
    Last edited by Ianbarreilles; 09-21-2017 at 11:48 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    Well if you read to the end of the story, the Phoenix manifests in Hope...
    Yes, it's yet more proof that Cyclops was right, despite the Avengers.

...and she ends up joining with the Avengers to defeat Cyclops and heal the damage he caused...

Wrong, damage caused by the Avengers. They attacked Utopia, they made up the PF, they were WRONG. Just like Emma in IvX, Cyclops was right, but the ungrateful X-Men fought alongside the Avengers and Inhumans.

...Besides, that story happened more than five years ago which means that Marvel is not writing new stories with the expectations that the average reader will be familiar with AvX...
    Five years ago he was treated like a villain... for ALWAYS being RIGHT.

Now, 5 years later he's still being accused of murder, called names, hated by his own "friends", even though he was right.

...so it is really irrelevant.
    Wrong! I repeat, the Avengers tried to destroy the Phoenix. They attacked the X-Men home, they made Cyclops a killer and a fugitive. Making the Phoenix an Avenger? It would be a total hypocrisy.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CuteClops View Post
    Yes, it's yet more proof that Cyclops was right, despite the Avengers.

Wrong, damage caused by the Avengers. They attacked Utopia, they made up the PF, they were WRONG. Just like Emma in IvX, Cyclops was right, but the ungrateful X-Men fought alongside the Avengers and Inhumans.

Five years ago he was treated like a villain... for ALWAYS being RIGHT.

Now, 5 years later he's still being accused of murder, called names, hated by his own "friends", even though he was right.

Wrong! I repeat, the Avengers tried to destroy the Phoenix. They attacked the X-Men home, they made Cyclops a killer and a fugitive. Making the Phoenix an Avenger? It would be a total hypocrisy.
    If you really want to dwell on that story, that's your prerogative I suppose, but that really has nothing to do with Jean. Besides, if she had been around during AvX it's fairly certain that she could have united both teams to work toward a common goal rather than pointlessly fighting, if Cyclops was unfairly hated upon it's really all due to his own rotten attitude and ego.

BANNED

If you really want to dwell on that story, that's your prerogative I suppose, but that really has nothing to do with Jean. Besides, if she had been around during AvX it's fairly certain that she could have united both teams to work toward a common goal rather than pointlessly fighting, if Cyclops was unfairly hated upon it's really all due to his own rotten attitude and ego.
    Wrong, Cyclops was right. Captain America was wrong. He said that the Phoenix should be destroyed.
    And Cyclops was unfairly hated because of the Marvel policy (Hail the f*** Avengers, hate Scott Summers). Even though Cyclops was right. "Worse than Hitler", remember?

Well, Jean IS the Phoenix. The Avengers tried to destroy the Phoenix. So I repeat again, making her an Avenger? It would be a total hypocrisy.

...if Cyclops was unfairly hated upon it's really all due to his own rotten attitude and ego.
    You just described the Captain America.

But what to expect from the Avengers besides hypocrisy?

I'm done here.

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    This issue keeps popping up in other threads. It has since the Bleeding Cool rumor broke about Jean Grey's possible return this December. That rumor hasn't been confirmed yet, but the early leaks from the December solicits make it a strong possibility. Granted, Marvel has teased this many times before, but let's assume for a moment that it's the real deal and Jean returns, Phoenix in tow.

There's an ongoing concern that once she comes back, Marvel will try to turn her into an Avenger. They've already had the Phoenix Force show up in other non-X-men books like Mighty Thor. It's still an ongoing plot in Thanos. It's already scheduled to show up again in Marvel Legacy with the 1,000,000 BC team. This could be just another step in that process. When Jean Grey returns, Marvel may want to use her star power to boost the Avengers more than the X-men. They've done this sort of thing in the past, already. They retconned the Maximoff twins so that they're not mutants anymore and have no ties to Magneto. They changed Squirrel Girl's mutant status as well. Why wouldn't they do that to the Phoenix Force? With X-men Dark Phoenix coming out next year, it's going to raise the profile of Jean Grey and the Phoenix. Marvel, being more inclined to help its Avengers line, may try to take advantage of Fox's efforts and get Jean involved with the Avengers.

Now, I get why a lot of X-men fans don't want to see that. Personally, I'd rather Marvel not try to force Jean into the Avengers the same way they did with the Maximoff twins. She is, and always will be, an X-men character at heart. She is very much the heart of the X-men. They've even stated as such in comics like Extraordinary X-men. Removing Jean Grey from the X-men is like removing Thor's Asgardian heritage. It's just too intertwined.

That said, I think there are some scenarios where it can work. In fact, some current books even set a precedent. At the moment, O5 Cyclops is in both an X-men book and a non-X-men book. He has an ongoing and meaningful role in Champions, but he still functions as the same X-man we know and love in X-men Blue. If he can do it, why can't Jean? Even before O5 Cyclops, Logan functioned as both an Avenger and X-man for years. He split time between the teams and managed to make it work. I think Jean might be able to do the same, especially if she had Phoenix powers. If Marvel really wants to raise her profile, then this would be the best way to do it. They would help both the Avengers and the X-men. One side doesn't have to suffer for the sake of another. Having Jean in X-men Blue (or a relaunched Uncanny X-men) and and Avengers title could function. I'm sure some X-men and Avengers fans won't accept it, but so long as it doesn't undermine her core character, I think it could work.
    If Jean effectively comes back, I hope she'll stay the hell away from any group of heroes, regardless if it's the Avengers, the X-Men, the Ultimates or whatnot - though, it'd be cool to see her interact with the Ultimates, I won't lie.
    I'd rather she goes solo, hijack that teen Jean book that has been meandering around for a few months now. She needs to figure herself out of the X-Men, sync up with the new MU, establish herself as an individual.
    That I would root for, totally.
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"No justice, no peace."

Quote Originally Posted by People Of The Earth View Post
    If Jean effectively comes back, I hope she'll stay the hell away from any group of heroes, regardless if it's the Avengers, the X-Men, the Ultimates or whatnot - though, it'd be cool to see her interact with the Ultimates, I won't lie.
    I'd rather she goes solo, hijack that teen Jean book that has been meandering around for a few months now. She needs to figure herself out of the X-Men, sync up with the new MU, establish herself as an individual.
    That I would root for, totally.
    Jean? Not with the X-Men? Ahahaha!

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoBandz View Post
    Jean? Not with the X-Men? Ahahaha!
    Yep, they can baby-sit themselves I believe. I'd rather read her journey in a solo book for now.
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"No justice, no peace."

Yep, they can baby-sit themselves I believe. I'd rather read her journey in a solo book for now.
    X-Men don't tend to do very well on their own. These books are team books and Jean is part of the X-Men family. She has a fantastic future back in the X-Family as matriarch and mentor to a group of X-Men who desperately need her strength, leadership and compassion. Its not just them needing her though. This is where Jean wants to be. Despite all the misery Jean has never given up on the X-Men and if Marvel is true to who Jean is, she never will.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfhammer View Post
    X-Men don't tend to do very well on their own. These books are team books and Jean is part of the X-Men family. She has a fantastic future back in the X-Family as matriarch and mentor to a group of X-Men who desperately need her strength, leadership and compassion. Its not just them needing her though. This is where Jean wants to be. Despite all the misery Jean has never given up on the X-Men and if Marvel is true to who Jean is, she never will.
    Jean having her own journey in her own book doesn't negate her history with the X-Men, let alone how pitiful their recent leadership has been and how much they need someone like her.
    Still. Been there, done that.
    Let Kitty ruin the X-folks into the ground whilst Jean is catching up with her life and the rest of the MU, I don't care about her having to nurture the X-Men AGAIN.
    She'll make due for the inevitable event or cameo, don't mind her appearing as a regular in one of the team book if people are so desperate for that, but she needs her own book.
    And I don't see why characters like Nightcrawler, Storm, or teenage Cyclope, Iceman, Jean could have a run at the solo odyssey, but not Jean Grey herself.

"No justice, no peace."

Jean having her own journey in her own book doesn't negate her history with the X-Men, let alone how pitiful their recent leadership has been and how much they need someone like her.
    Still. Been there, done that.
    Let Kitty ruin the X-folks into the ground whilst Jean is catching up with her life and the rest of the MU, I don't care about her having to nurture the X-Men AGAIN.
    She'll make due for the inevitable event or cameo, don't mind her appearing as a regular in one of the team book if people are so desperate for that, but she needs her own book.
    And I don't see why characters like Nightcrawler, Storm, or teenage Cyclope, Iceman, Jean could have a run at the solo odyssey, but not Jean Grey herself.
    No one’s saying she can't or shouldn't have a solo. For me though Jean is at her best when she's on a team. She an emotional and passionate character and generally speaking what she's most passionate about is the x-family. That's why she has the makings of a great leader. Also this situation is unique. She actually hasn't been there done that. There is a leadership crisis within the x-men that never existed while Jean was alive. She has the opportunity to make the x-men her own. Although I'm sure she would prefer to have Scott, Charles and Logan around to help out she doesn't. There has not been another time in modern continuity where Jean could make such a large impact on the x-line. Of course I want her to take that opportunity because the possibilities are friggin awesome!

Would Jean be the resistance leader (ala Cyclops) or the idealogue (ala Xavier) or some hybrid of both. I tend to lean towards her being a great mix of both philosophies but I looking forward to finding out. Better not be teasing Marvel.

Why the freak would we want Jean Grey on the Avengers. Has it been the Avengers fans who have been waiting all these years for her return? Are the Avengers lacking in powerful characters? Are X-Men fans suddenly gonna read Avengers over X-Men if Jean is there? Should Jean be on both teams?

The answer to all of that is NO. Jean on both teams would get very old real quick. We would go from no Jean to having too much Jean. If she is too powerful, then let her remain a cosmic character in addition to sometimes helping the X-Men when they need it.

If they insist on making Jean an Avenger, then give us Thor. See how absurd that sounds?

I've settled it. Close thread.

Incredible Member Victorian_Soul's Avatar

I'd rather let Jean hold a solo series on her own. This series would allow Jean to develop and evolve even more and generally be about her life and how she feels. She would be able to venture out into the larger Marvel Universe and possible even date someone else down the line (human, superhero, or whatever else). It would be a very nice and simple story with a complex character headlining it letting fans and non-fans alike enjoy a nice story.