Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by People Of The Earth View Post
    Jean having her own journey in her own book doesn't negate her history with the X-Men, let alone how pitiful their recent leadership has been and how much they need someone like her.
    Still. Been there, done that.
    Let Kitty ruin the X-folks into the ground whilst Jean is catching up with her life and the rest of the MU, I don't care about her having to nurture the X-Men AGAIN.
    She'll make due for the inevitable event or cameo, don't mind her appearing as a regular in one of the team book if people are so desperate for that, but she needs her own book.
    And I don't see why characters like Nightcrawler, Storm, or teenage Cyclope, Iceman, Jean could have a run at the solo odyssey, but not Jean Grey herself.
    What life? Jean has no life outside of the X-Men honestly. Her family are all dead. Most of the friends she had at one time have all moved on and she has not seen or talked to them in years. She never really had any kind of career. She is probably still listed as dead anyway so even if she wants a life outside the X-Men it would take her months if not years to get all that straightened out to even get a driver liscense or new SS card. She has nothing which is why most of the solo x-books fail to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by People Of The Earth View Post
    Jean having her own journey in her own book doesn't negate her history with the X-Men, let alone how pitiful their recent leadership has been and how much they need someone like her.
    Still. Been there, done that.
    Let Kitty ruin the X-folks into the ground whilst Jean is catching up with her life and the rest of the MU, I don't care about her having to nurture the X-Men AGAIN.
    She'll make due for the inevitable event or cameo, don't mind her appearing as a regular in one of the team book if people are so desperate for that, but she needs her own book.
    And I don't see why characters like Nightcrawler, Storm, or teenage Cyclope, Iceman, Jean could have a run at the solo odyssey, but not Jean Grey herself.
    Great idea. 10 issues max and then they can kill her off again in the next "big Phoenix event".

Astonishing Member darewithpeace's Avatar

it could work, but we need jean to become the spiderman of the marvel universe, a REALLY important character, out and on of teams. she should have her own stories, her own villains, her own movies, her own toys, HER OWN MOTHER MOTHER franchise , lol im dreaming she is my favorite character
    we can be heroes, just for one day

While adult Jean Grey will always be the heart of the X-Men, that doesn't mean that she can't have a life outside the X-Men. I've always felt that Jean Grey was destined for greater things and belonged in a group like the Justice League. I would be happy to see her in a book like Uncanny Avengers or Ultimates, where she teams up with the most powerful beings in the Marvel Universe. In fact I think characters like Jean and Storm have outgrown the X-men. If they are off doing their own thing, the X-books could be handed over to the next generation of mutants to lead and shine.

I'm just glad she's coming back and you can guarantee I will be purchasing any book she's featured in.

I actually think it could work, but she would need to be on the main avengers team. I wouldn't want her on Uncanny Avengers. Her and rogue never really had too much of a relationship and I don't see her adding too much to that cast. It would be better for her to be on a team with Thor or someone else "God" like.

Seeing as blue is filled with the terrible 05 + other alt universe people and gold is Kitty and friends, I wouldn't want Jean on an x-book until that has changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelboy1974 View Post
    While adult Jean Grey will always be the heart of the X-Men, that doesn't mean that she can't have a life outside the X-Men. I've always felt that Jean Grey was destined for greater things and belonged in a group like the Justice League. I would be happy to see her in a book like Uncanny Avengers or Ultimates, where she teams up with the most powerful beings in the Marvel Universe. In fact I think characters like Jean and Storm have outgrown the X-men. If they are off doing their own thing, the X-books could be handed over to the next generation of mutants to lead and shine.

I'm just glad she's coming back and you can guarantee I will be purchasing any book she's featured in.
    Unfortunately the next generation of mutants haven't shown that they can carry a book, let alone a whole line. Soap opera's and serial fiction tend to use the same characters over and over. There's a reason for that. Fans of the franchise generally are looking for the characters they know and love. A talented writer can move the franchise forward like Claremont did with the Giant Size Team and to a lesser extent with the NM but there have been precious few characters that didn't come out of that period that can carry a book. I don't think we're there yet and despite Marvel trying to force us to be there, Legacy proves that they are walking back that strategy. If you can't draw the talented writers, which Marvel rarely seems capable of these days, then you tend to have to fall back on known characters.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfhammer View Post
    Unfortunately the next generation of mutants haven't shown that they can carry a book, let alone a whole line. Soap opera's and serial fiction tend to use the same characters over and over. There's a reason for that. Fans of the franchise generally are looking for the characters they know and love. A talented writer can move the franchise forward like Claremont did with the Giant Size Team and to a lesser extent with the NM but there have been precious few characters that didn't come out of that period that can carry a book. I don't think we're there yet and despite Marvel trying to force us to be there, Legacy proves that they are walking back that strategy. If you can't draw the talented writers, which Marvel rarely seems capable of these days, then you tend to have to fall back on known characters.
    Some characters like Magik have actually grown a lot in recent years, and with the movies and tv shows actually prominently using characters that were once considered D-List, you can't say later generations of X-Men can't carry a book. Look at how Deadpool popularized Teenage Negasonic Warhead and made Deadpool big enough to be an Avenger.

Stan Lee has said Marvel and Fox will have a film rights deal in the next few years. The instant that happens we'll definitely see Storm in Black Panther films. Storm had been in both the FF and briefly the Avengers, and it was only AvX that temporarily halted Storm's rise in the rest of Marvel Universe. With relations better between Marvel and Fox she's already back with the Black Panther.

Ultimate Member

I'm not so sure about Storm and Black Panther films, by the time that the X-movies would get to the point of having Storm in them, if Marvel reboots the series the actor that's playing BP now would be done with the movies, and if they don't reboot things then which Storm would show up and most movie viewers wouldn't know that there ever was anything between Storm and BP...

BANNED

Marvel has a company kept wanting to use the X-Men as an allegory for oppression/minority rights. But you can't oppress Jean Grey/Phoenix or Storm. Jean's a celestial avatar and Storm's a high priestess/queen/goddess. These two women are mutants, but so much more. Unless the X-Men can evolve more into being general heroes both Jean and Storm will just ultimately spend more time in the rest of Marvel Universe. If you look at the Jean Grey book, the people Jeen has been meeting are gods and A list sorcerers (Dr. Strange and the Scarlet Witch). In the context of the X-Men, the only people who really know about high level power she could talk to would be Rachel or Magik.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    I'm not so sure about Storm and Black Panther films, by the time that the X-movies would get to the point of having Storm in them, if Marvel reboots the series the actor that's playing BP now would be done with the movies, and if they don't reboot things then which Storm would show up and most movie viewers wouldn't know that there ever was anything between Storm and BP...
    Movie viewers don't know anything except what Marvel decides to put in the films, and quite frankly giving the Black Panther a high profile Black girlfriend/wife was always in the calculus to put them together and yes Marvel and Fox would do that in the films as well.

Everything is done in the comics in response to the films or to provide potential to be in the films these days, especially a romantic pairing like that.

Ultimate Member

But then again which Storm would that be, and until Hudlin put them together Storm and BP were over and had been for decades in the comics so no plans to put them together until that...

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    Some characters like Magik have actually grown a lot in recent years, and with the movies and tv shows actually prominently using characters that were once considered D-List, you can't say later generations of X-Men can't carry a book. Look at how Deadpool popularized Teenage Negasonic Warhead and made Deadpool big enough to be an Avenger.

Stan Lee has said Marvel and Fox will have a film rights deal in the next few years. The instant that happens we'll definitely see Storm in Black Panther films. Storm had been in both the FF and briefly the Avengers, and it was only AvX that temporarily halted Storm's rise in the rest of Marvel Universe. With relations better between Marvel and Fox she's already back with the Black Panther.
    Deadpool essentially came out of the Claremont era. IIRC Nicieza & Liefeld created him back in 90 or 91 in NM. So basically this is a Claremont era character. The rest of your post is bullocks. Storm is also a Claremont era character, the movies are irrelevant to comic sales and Magik can't carry jack on her own unless you count her solo from 1983, which Storm also happened to be in. I'm not sure Illyana's even in a book at the moment.

BANNED

Deadpool essentially came out of the Claremont era. IIRC Nicieza & Liefeld created him back in 90 or 91 in NM. So basically this is a Claremont era character. The rest of your post is bullocks. Storm is also a Claremont era character, the movies are irrelevant to comic sales and Magik can't carry jack on her own unless you count her solo from 1983, which Storm also happened to be in. I'm not sure Illyana's even in a book at the moment.
    The movies are very relevant to comics sales, and Marvel just so happens to fashion the comics after the films. Deadpool became huge because of the film, and it's why he became an Avenger. Jean Grey aka Phoenix is returning from the dead because of X-Men: Dark Phoenix. Teenage Negasonic Warhead was brought back because of the films.

Polaris came back in the comics after she got a part in an X-Men tv series. Oh the Shadow King returned after appearing in the Legion series. Characters can be made a lot bigger in the comics due to films or tv, and live action certainly affects the comics down the road.

As for Magik, she's got a major role in the upcoming New Mutants film. She was a big part of the New Mutants in the 80s and she did help carry the book.

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    The movies are very relevant to comics sales, and Marvel just so happens to fashion the comics after the films. Deadpool became huge because of the film, and it's why he became an Avenger. Jean Grey aka Phoenix is returning from the dead because of X-Men: Dark Phoenix. Teenage Negasonic Warhead was brought back because of the films.

Polaris came back in the comics after she got a part in an X-Men tv series. Oh the Shadow King returned after appearing in the Legion series. Characters can be made a lot bigger in the comics due to films or tv, and live action certainly affects the comics down the road.

As for Magik, she's got a major role in the upcoming New Mutants film. She was a big part of the New Mutants in the 80s and she did help carry the book.
    All the comic sales numbers are a matter of public record now. Go have a look in the lead up to an Avengers movie if the sales are significantly impacted. Or have a look at say... GotG sales. Clearly the answer will surprise you.

Fantastic Member

I just tend to think I'd enjoy Jean on the Avengers because I tend to enjoy stories where she interacts with characters outside of her usual sphere. The GREATEST Jean Grey love interest and whom I consider her soulmate is neither Cyclops or Wolverine. It's Cole Cash aka Grifter. They interacted in a one-shot a million years ago but the chemistry was amazing.

It doesn't have to be romantic, I could see her developing an exasperated but close friendship with Tony Stark, a poignant and deep friendship with Steve Rogers. Hawkeye, Mockingbird, Thor. I'd love to see Jean deal with enemies like Loki, Maliketh, Doctor Doom, Enchantress.

The fact is, the X-Men have been massively watered down over the past decade and it's for the sole reason, that they chose not to focus on ANYONE other then Cyclops, Logan and Emma Frost. Everyone else was either written out or tailored to 2nd class character status and as a result, the X-Universe come across much more limp then it used too.

Jean moving to the Avengers is one of the best things that could happen to the character.