Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Default THIS JOURNEY IS A GIFT... GENERATIONS Captain MarvelŪ Captain Mar-VellŪ...Why?

Didn't see a thread on this comics, and I kind of wanted to talk about it given it's maybe one of the worst looking comics I've ever seen a major publisher put out, so I'm starting a thread. It's also pretty badly written too. I will say about the art that looking at two of Brent Schoovoer's uncolored pages on his twitter it looks, at least those two pages, a lot better there. Seems the colorist Jordan Boyd didn't get the memo on how you color art that's like a flat throwback style, because the shading and the use of colors may this one of the ugliest comics I've ever seen.

NOW ON TO THE WRITING

There's this cartoon on the Adult Swim website that I love called Apollo Gauntlet. You see, Apollo Gauntlet is this He-Man parody/homage, it's about this Canadian police officer that gets sent to this weird sc-fi medieval fantasy land and with the sentient talking power gauntlets and magic suit he happens upon he fights evil. He's also this nerd that makes goofy pop-culture references that nobody understands because they're not from Earth, they're from a weird futuristic medieval fantasy world, so mostly he's just doing it to amuse himself. Now this horrible terrible terrible comic feels like some bad weird version of Apollo Gauntlet where the writer didn't understand why Apollo Gauntlet was funny, but nonetheless they think maybe they've worked it out somehow. Because really that's the only thing that makes sense for why Danvers won't stop talking about The Wizards of Oz. First she's thinking about the Wizard of Oz, a lot; this is maybe an attempt at what the writer believes humans call "humor"...I don't know. Then she punches some alien who doesn't know what the Wizard of Oz is while making a Wizard of Oz references that's a continuation of something she never said out loud. I wonder if the alien was saying "What?" as she punched him. These bad unfunny "jokes", references, could actually be funny if this lead to some kind of weird stupid misunderstanding where she's taken to a wizard, you know, because they don't know what the Wizard of Oz is and even if they did they wouldn't understand that's what she was referencing because the first part of the reference was only in her head. Like Jandek, High Councilor of Myron could have been Jandak High Wizard of Myron, and he demands to know why she wishes to see him. But instead they're just a references, they serve no point other than to showcase how not to be funny.

So Danvers thinks unfunny thoughts about The Wizard of Oz some more as she's about to jump into the fight. It's really at this point that I just wished this was like Apollo Gauntlet, some character says "Run, Danae, Run" and Danvers pops up and starts talking about shrimp while doing a "Bubba" impression to the confusion of all around her; the confusion could have even been how that alien turned the tables on the other alien...but instead I guess she was never in danger to begin with or something. She hears someone else say "Beat It" and starts talking about the Thriller album to the confused of the two alien women. She makes another Wizard of Oz reference about winged monkeys and for whatever reason instead of saying "Huh, what are you talking about, what are monkeys, are they winged and unwinged?" the alien knows what monkeys area. This all gets even weirder later when Captain Mar-Vell shows up and doesn't understand what he's saying. Yeah, that's nice, but the time to start that joke was a while back now.

There is one funny bit in this comic though, and it's that everyone calls this most mannish looking version of Danvers "Carl", well it's Car-Eel, but Car-Eel would sound more like Carl than Carol. Mar-Vell also not being able to recognize her feels like a joke playing into how he looks.

Anyways around the midway point I just kind of gave up on trying to read this comic. It's trying so hard to be funny but it was too unfunny to bear. Danvers comes off as this character you're meant to hate. Mar-Vell give her a complement on her costume, which is meant to be somewhat like his and she replies flippantly. He says she'll be save with him and she replies like a small child and makes a bad joke "LADY-JOKING", mind you this is right after he saved her from the things he's saying he's keep her save from.

So what did everyone else think? Did you hate it? Did you hate it more than I hated it? Did you enjoy it somehow? I'd be kind of interested to hear why anyone that liked this thought it was good.

Amazing Member

I thought it was the worst generations issue so far, I'm not particularly interested in captain marvel and don't generally like space based stuff.

saying that it fits in with the general theme and carols journey seems to be about learning to accept help and not rush in taking all the responsibility.

BANNED

............... it was even worst than the bendis one which was written much more well than this.

BANNED

This was by far the weakest Generations issue to date.

I just found it to be a somewhat flat story. But then again I also don't have any special affection for either Carol or Mar-vell.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty 360 View Post
    I thought it was the worst generations issue so far, I'm not particularly interested in captain marvel and don't generally like space based stuff.

saying that it fits in with the general theme and carols journey seems to be about learning to accept help and not rush in taking all the responsibility.
    Sounds like the second half of the Generations batch are coming in at lower than the first half. First Riri's and now Carol's. Let's hope the rest are good.

Amazing Member

Wow it was painfully obvious this book was fast-tracked. The art is atrocious with horrible Anatomy And even worse facial expressions. Pair that with a script that try so hard to be funny it falls flat and you have one of the worst books I've read in recent memory. Margaret stohl is better than this.

Incredible Member

Well, I liked it, then again I'm the first one to post here who doesn't hate Carol or Mar-Vell.

It doesn't sound like Carl at all. It's Car-Ell, pronounced Carel in the same way that Mar-Vell is pronounced Marvel.

Anyway ctrl+v from Car-Ell's thread:

I really liked the issue! Best thing of this run really. Tbh I have red pratically nothing with Mar-Vell, but I like how he was here, contrasting Car-Ell's impulsive personality. And the supporting characters were lesbians, so I liked them too. The ending though felt a bit anti-climatic. I kind of thought they were gonna kiss("I guess I should be straight with you, Mar-Vell" ).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Sounds like the second half of the Generations batch are coming in at lower than the first half. First Riri's and now Carol's. Let's hope the rest are good.
    I thought the Iron Man issue was one of the best. This one didn't do it for me but as I said, I'm not a big fan of either character in the first place.

But I'm glad to see that others did like it.

I really liked Mar-Vell here. I've never read his stories since he was gone before I started reading comics, but he looked like a cool character. If the point of generations was to get us to read older issues, they succeeded here.

Carol on the other hand... Sweet God, why does she look like she does? She literally looked like a man for most of this issue. Her dialogue was mostly trash and she had that insufferable arrogance when talking to her predecessor. I remember her being different in 2013-2014, I thought she was so cool back then. Wish they'd go back.

The story itself was alright though. The lesson she needed to learn was understandable.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    The remaining ones are Ms. Marvel, Spider-Man, and Captain America. The Cap one is the end of Spencer's run on the franchise, and brings the rest together. It's also the last time we'll see Sam Cap since he reverts to Falcon in Marvel Legacy #1 out on the same day.

I didn't think Generations: Captain Marvel & Captain Mar-Vell was as awful as Generations: Iron Man & Ironheart, because there's at least a semblance of plot with a beginning, middle, and end. But good gravy, everything else is mediocre. Not to mention it pretty much beat into a pulp The Wizard of Oz as a pop culture reference.

Stillanerd Reviews: Generations: The Bravest (Captain Marvel & Captain Mar-Vell) #1 review
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow! and Viral Hare
    Previous Articles for Whatever A Spider Can.
    Previous Articles for Spider-Man Crawlspace.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

BANNED

Given Carol's memory problems in the past..that would explain why she acted the way she did in this issue.

BANNED

Is there a purpose or underlying theme to these Generations books?

When's the one with Kamala working at Carol's sexist magazine job coming out?
    She is Kamala Khan... The Magnificent Ms. Marvel!