Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Myetche View Post
    When's the one with Kamala working at Carol's sexist magazine job coming out?
    Next week.

It makes me really sad that after all these years of trying to push Carol as Captain Marvel, they still have yet to land a writer/artist team that makes Carol's book likeable, fun, exciting and a must-read for casual fans outside of the "Carol Corps". I follow her book since I'm a huge fan, but it's almost always at the bottom of my read pile, because I oftentimes find it boring. It's gotten worse lately, because they keep pushing her as a leader but they do it in such a way that makes her seem stiff and unrelatable.

I may be misremembering, but I thought I read a rumor awhile back that G. Willow Wilson will be the new writer in 2018. I hope that's true since she made Ms. Marvel a break-out hit.

Quote Originally Posted by nightw1ng View Post
    It makes me really sad that after all these years of trying to push Carol as Captain Marvel, they still have yet to land a writer/artist team that makes Carol's book likeable, fun, exciting and a must-read for casual fans outside of the "Carol Corps". I follow her book since I'm a huge fan, but it's almost always at the bottom of my read pile, because I oftentimes find it boring. It's gotten worse lately, because they keep pushing her as a leader but they do it in such a way that makes her seem stiff and unrelatable.

I may be misremembering, but I thought I read a rumor awhile back that G. Willow Wilson will be the new writer in 2018. I hope that's true since she made Ms. Marvel a break-out hit.
    In a way I agree. I mean, I adore what KSD did with the character, but ever since she left the book Carol has been felling rather hallow. It did not help that they basically put her through the grinder by making her the 'villain' of CWII. Its sad, because Carol is my third favorite comic book character. She deserves better.

I agree, G. Willow Wilson would be a brilliant writer for the book. I think she really gets Carol, so I have my fingers crossed that happens soon!

I thought it was alright. Yes it was the weakest one yet but since I actually liked all the others that came out having the worst one so far being "okay" is actually a good thing.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Magmaster12 View Post
    Well, I liked it, then again I'm the first one to post here who doesn't hate Carol or Mar-Vell.
    Yeah, I'm a big fan of both characters and have read most of the original Mar-Vell stuff (at least through Englehart) and have read Carol's stuff from Brian Reed through Fazekas and Butters (haven't gotten to Stohl's run yet). I had a lot of fun.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    It doesn't sound like Carl at all. It's Car-Ell, pronounced Carel in the same way that Mar-Vell is pronounced Marvel.

Anyway ctrl+v from Car-Ell's thread:

I really liked the issue! Best thing of this run really. Tbh I have red pratically nothing with Mar-Vell, but I like how he was here, contrasting Car-Ell's impulsive personality. And the supporting characters were lesbians, so I liked them too. The ending though felt a bit anti-climatic. I kind of thought they were gonna kiss("I guess I should be straight with you, Mar-Vell" ).
    You aren't going to get something that sounds like Carol by saying Car and Ell. You will get something that sounds like Carl if you say it.

BANNED

I thought Mar-vell was very endearing, but Car-ell (Carl? Lol) came off as a try hard. She got very annoying very quickly. One question, why did Car-ell have to carry Mar-vell when he could fly on his own?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Za Waldo View Post
    You aren't going to get something that sounds like Carol by saying Car and Ell. You will get something that sounds like Carl if you say it.
    We should be reading Mar and Car as rhyming words, if we simply read what's written.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    We should be reading Mar and Car as rhyming words, if we simply read what's written.
    Why would you simply read what's written without context? The context makes it clear and it's an easy way to write it so it's clear what's going on. No one in the story indicates that Mar-Vell and Car-Ell rhyme. It's not like it would have been clearer to 90% of the audience if they wrote |mʌɹ| and |kɛɹ|.

I suck at the IPA so I might be wrong with those vowels, but I did the best I could. Maybe it should have a |j| sound for Carol, dunno.

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Why would you simply read what's written without context? The context makes it clear and it's an easy way to write it so it's clear what's going on. No one in the story indicates that Mar-Vell and Car-Ell rhyme. It's not like it would have been clearer to 90% of the audience if they wrote |mʌɹ| and |kɛɹ|.

I suck at the IPA so I might be wrong with those vowels, but I did the best I could.
    I did say "IF we simply read what's written." Meaning there's no suggestion made by me that we should only read what is written. Mar and Car rhyme, if we leave out our prior knowledge of Carol being the full name.

How would you not have prior knowledge of her name? She literally says it right before.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    I thought Mar-vell was very endearing, but Car-ell (Carl? Lol) came off as a try hard. She got very annoying very quickly. One question, why did Car-ell have to carry Mar-vell when he could fly on his own?
    Let's say that certain relationships are unconventional.

I am astonished that anyone would knock the colouring of this issue (colour by Jordan Boyd). I really like the overall look, and the shading choices he makes. There is a touch of Laura Allred's nostalgic style.

Boyd is one of the most respected colourists working today. He is very versatile, at home with the futuristic grainy noir of Invisible Republic, the high colour world of Astonishing Ant-Man, the sepia-toned Operation S.I.N., the old school cosmic of Infinity Entity or the flat but always interesting Deadly Class.

As to Schoonover, I am less familiar with his work, but he is clearly very accomplished at posture and intent. Every pose and facial expression leaves you in no doubt what is going on and the attitude of the characters, in action or when static. Frankly I thought the book looked pretty great.

The writing was fine, I am not a fan of this kind of cultural reference characterisation either, but overall the story was told well, the message was clear and the characters felt rounded. I really liked the character of Mar-vell here. He was written with an old fashioned heroic voice and that polite charm of many Silver Age comics. The story was a little forced but done-in-one issues are a challenging form. The story could maybe have done with another pass to make some of the contrivances more natural, but it really wasn't bad.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 09-16-2017 at 01:13 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    How would you not have prior knowledge of her name? She literally says it right before.
    I'm not saying you wouldn't or shouldn't have context/prion knowledge. I'm saying that Car-ell and Mar-vell would read similarly if the names were simply read as they are. Car-ell doesn't read like Care-ell unless you apply context. That is all I'm saying.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

I haven't read it yet. It was the one I was excited about the most, but from everything I've seen people saying, it looks like Mar-Vell was just a prop to Carol's story. Shocker. Does anyone think Alonso's claim that ''these stories do matter'' can apply to this in any way? Any clue or hint if Vanishing Point Mar-Vell might still be significant in the future? Because otherwise I won't even bother purchasing this.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 09-16-2017 at 05:38 PM.