Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Taking the 1st step - How to get into X-Men?

I've been sitting on the first 2 MMW Xmen Claremont volumes for over a year. I've never read an Xmen comic. The vastness of the Xmen universe is daunting... I think it's time I jump in

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

Easy answer start reading. While the shan lee toy Thomas stuff started it the x-men essentials yup mentioned are the best point to start. That's when the concept took off. Uncanny X-men 94-280 is the first essential materiel for any X-reader.
    X-Men Forever

Quote Originally Posted by berserkerclaw View Post
    Easy answer start reading. While the shan lee toy Thomas stuff started it the x-men essentials yup mentioned are the best point to start. That's when the concept took off. Uncanny X-men 94-280 is the first essential materiel for any X-reader.
    Thanks for the suggestion. What's the best way to collect this? MMW, Epic collections??

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd line g View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion. What's the best way to collect this? MMW, Epic collections??
    For Claremont's Run (UXM 94-280) and beyond, here's a good link that shows collected editions.
    http://notahoaxnotadream.blogspot.co...ons-chart.html

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

I've been sitting on the first 2 MMW Xmen Claremont volumes for over a year. I've never read an Xmen comic. The vastness of the Xmen universe is daunting... I think it's time I jump in
    I would start with the Claremont/Cockrum run, then continue on with the Claremont/Byrne run and just keep going from there.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Get Marvel Unlimited (I know, I know, physical editions, collecting, yada yada. It's a lot to go through if you decide to stick with it). Start with Giant-Sized X-Men #1 and continue into Claremont's run. Go back to the Lee and Thomas era later on if you like Claremont.

Quote Originally Posted by bigstupidjellyfish View Post
    Get Marvel Unlimited (I know, I know, physical editions, collecting, yada yada. It's a lot to go through if you decide to stick with it). Start with Giant-Sized X-Men #1 and continue into Claremont's run. Go back to the Lee and Thomas era later on if you like Claremont.
    Seconded. Even though I own a lot of the single issues, Unlimited is just so easy to work with. The events collection let's you also read events in the proper order without having to hunt down the reading order and shuffle through different books. Yes, the collections do this as well but cost wise Unlimited is going to be way cheaper. Giant Size thru the end of New Mutants\X-Factor (Around Uncanny 280 or so) (With Wolverine and Magik's Solo's included) covers a lot of continuity that is still very much intact today. Once you've read that you can start getting selective as the line just explodes into multiple ongoing team books, solos, and events. Once you've covered this though, you'll probably have a much better sense of what you want to read next. Frankly I find you need to pick particular characters to follow through the 90's to avoid getting lost.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Not sure on Unlimited though... Can't get the hang of reading comic on a tablet. I'm old and old school I guess.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Not sure on Unlimited though... Can't get the hang of reading comic on a tablet. I'm old and old school I guess.
    I found a decent tablet for about $150 that displays comics in almost the exact dimensions of an actual comic book. I had started on an iPad and I just found the panels too small. I'm not a fan of panel by panel reading as I prefer to see the entire page. Anyway the bigger tablet did wonders for me and I've gotten my money's worth out of the tablet and Unlimited about 20 times over already.

Essential X-Men vol 1-11 collects the entire Claremont run of UnCanny #94-280. If you don't mind black and white. I, myself have all 11 volumes...

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfhammer View Post
    I found a decent tablet for about $150 that displays comics in almost the exact dimensions of an actual comic book. I had started on an iPad and I just found the panels too small. I'm not a fan of panel by panel reading as I prefer to see the entire page. Anyway the bigger tablet did wonders for me and I've gotten my money's worth out of the tablet and Unlimited about 20 times over already.
    So how do you get Marvel Unlimited, thru Comixology?

BANNED

So how do you get Marvel Unlimited, thru Comixology?
    No, Marvel Unlimited and Comixology Unlimited are separate. You can sign up for Marvel Unlimited on Marvel's main site: http://marvel.com/comics/unlimited?S...SAAEgIw-fD_BwE

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post
    No, Marvel Unlimited and Comixology Unlimited are separate. You can sign up for Marvel Unlimited on Marvel's main site: http://marvel.com/comics/unlimited?S...SAAEgIw-fD_BwE
    Wow, I checked it out. Very tempting. Very. I don't know though. I like holding an actual book in my hand though....

BANNED

Wow, I checked it out. Very tempting. Very. I don't know though. I like holding an actual book in my hand though....
    I feel the same, but digital is cheap and convenient. Give the Marvel Unlimited free trial a shot and see if it grows on you. Otherwise the Essential X-Men trades are relatively cheap and easy to find.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post
    I feel the same, but digital is cheap and convenient. Give the Marvel Unlimited free trial a shot and see if it grows on you. Otherwise the Essential X-Men trades are relatively cheap and easy to find.
    I'll try the free trial, thanks for the suggestions!