Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member Krypto's Fleas's Avatar

Default Pretty upset with the Mr. Oz reveal

I'm hoping that the identity of Mr. Oz isn't what it currently appears to be (don't want to include spoilers). The greatest part of Superman's backstory is the altruistic nature of his birth parents. I don't like what this means for that character. Hoping it's not him.

Further, the killing of Metallo removes yet another classic villain from the Superman universe---a trend that befuddled Superman's story arcs since New 52. Metallo never really got a good arc, and he's a character who a writer should be able to build around.

I wish Mr. Oz was Superbly Prime or Ozymandias like most suspected. I'm not liking this.

I kinda tend to agree there.

I was also disappointed with how things worked out, oh well....
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

jor-el is a nothing character with little personality...for it to be a character assasination jor-el needs to be a character to begin with

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

I'm conflicted on it. On one hand it's balsy and somewhat unexpected but If it is handled poorly it could be a major problem.

As for Metallo, he'll be back. After all, this isn't​ the first time someone ripped out his Kryptonite heart.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

BANNED

I don't like it either, but depending on how the story progresses maybe this will be salvageable.

I foresee Lara's death also having something to do with Jor-El becoming a bad guy, which is another mess.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I really don't like it. Sadly, I expected something like this. DC will stoop to whatever to get the reaction it seeks.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Incredible Member

Ripping out Metallo's heart is old hat, he always comes back from that.

**** son, Metallo somehow managed to survive being detonated in a huge explosion of kryptonite bombs. Granted, Brainilois then made a mind-copy of him, but somehow sorta-Flesh and Blood Metallo came back.

Incredible Member

I'm not thrilled about it being Jor-El, but I'll see where they go with it. Plus, I mean, it's comic books. Eventually-- maybe within a year or two-- he'll be returned to normal Jor-El who dies on Krypton. So... We'll see.

As for Metallo, as others have said, he "dies" all the time. Nothing to it.

DC seems to hate almost all Kryptonians.
    Just the possibility of this actually being a twisted version of a Jor-El who somehow survived the destruction of Krypton seems like a dumb move, especially after what was done to his brother Zor-El in the New52.
    But I'm going to try and wait to see how this all plays out before I bail (AGAIN!) on the Super-books.

You have every right to be upset. But don't worry. I don't think we are going to have an outright villain. There has to be a redemption. Either he changes by the influence of Superman and his family or he dies saving the world regretting his misdeeds. There are many ways to salvage the situation. If Darth Vader can be redeemed why can't Jor-El?

And we don't know if he is a villain or not. He said he gave the way to others to do the misdeeds. How he did that is important. Say he controlled the minds of his followers then there is no way. But say he inspired them to go ahead and tell others to do the bad things. Oz's followers were not just evil doers. They impressed upon others to do bad. Say he made a cult of brainwashed members. He is culpable but he can be redeemed. I don't think he controlled their minds since there was need of Luthor's mind control devices in previous arc.

His idea appears to be that Superman and his family shall leave humanity. Superman should stop helping the people who can't be helped according to him. They don't deserve you or your family was the vibe.

And killing Metallo is forgivable. As many have pointed out he can be brought back to life. And second he was doing this to protect his son. A more ruthless version of saving someone. Superman can't kill because a corrupted powerful hero is dangerous. It is not his MO. But Jor-El killed to protect his son. A more ruthless version of saving. He is supposed to be a corrupted father.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 09-14-2017 at 06:58 PM.

BANNED

While I think have him be Oz is dumb, I don't think it's a big deal. Whether he's evil, an anti-villain, or a reverse Superboy Prime strawman for DC writers and editors who want to keep things the way they were in the Silver Age (As GodisAwesome suggested), what Jor-El is like really doesn't matter. If it was Clark's ACTUAL dad, I'd have a problem.

Jor-El is Clark's actual Dad. As is Jonathan. Neither are any less his father, even if Jor-El wasn't there in the flesh. A proper Superman lore has Jor-El teach his son many lessons in his own right from beyond the grave. What Jor-El is like very much matters. Its the only reason that right now as it stands the reveal holds any weight, because what Jor-El is very much matters to Superman.

Perhaps there was an era once upon a time where such a thing might make Superman barely bat an eye because he couldn't be bothered to give a crap about much of anything in regards to his Kryptonian heritage, but thankfully those days are dead and gone.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-14-2017 at 08:11 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Incredible Member

Jor-El may have been Clark's Father.... But he sure as hell ain't his Daddy...

Quote Originally Posted by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    I foresee Lara's death also having something to do with Jor-El becoming a bad guy, which is another mess.
    Oh, yeah, Superman has a biological mom! They mention her sometimes.

I wonder if at any point, when they were plotting out the Oz storyline, anybody even considered, "Hey, we could use Lara!" They could have used a costume that obscured her gender, and people would have still thought it was Veidt.
    Last edited by Doctor Bifrost; 09-14-2017 at 10:02 PM.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/