Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

I've become a fan of the Batman Telltale series, so I'm going to use that an example, because there is a pretty big parallel: SPOILERS: turns out in that version, Thomas Wayne was corrupt. He got his money through the mob, he destroyed the lives of hundreds of his innocent victims, it got so bad, that even his mob allies couldn't handle working with such a monster, and had him and his wife murdered in crime alley, just to end his reign of terror. This was devastating, to Bruce, who idolized Thomas and dedicated his life to honoring his memory. But even with that new info, he didn't stop his mission to save Gotham. I liked that twist, I liked seeing Batman getting tested but staying true to his principals, and I consider Thomas Wayne's influence on Bruce Wayne to be more important than Jor-El's influence on Kal/Clark. So I'm not entirely against this Jor-El development, not conceptually anyway. My problem is actually that I think his motivation here is kinda cliche and redundant. I mean how many "humans suck, kryptonians ftw!" villains do we need?
    But yeah, as far as who Superman's true dad is Jonathan Kent or Jor-El.... I mean, it's gotta be Jonathan. Jor-El is the reason he's alive, but the Kents were the ones who raised him. I think Superman absolutely should care about his kryptonian heritage and appreciate his birth parents for their sacrifice, but come on, end of the day, he doesn't even remember those people.

Last Son of Shaolin GreatKungLao's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FishyZombie View Post
    I've become a fan of the Batman Telltale series, so I'm going to use that an example, because there is a pretty big parallel: SPOILERS: turns out in that version, Thomas Wayne was corrupt. He got his money through the mob, he destroyed the lives of hundreds of his innocent victims, it got so bad, that even his mob allies couldn't handle working with such a monster, and had him and his wife murdered in crime alley, just to end his reign of terror. This was devastating, to Bruce, who idolized Thomas and dedicated his life to honoring his memory. But even with that new info, he didn't stop his mission to save Gotham. I liked that twist, I liked seeing Batman getting tested but staying true to his principals, and I consider Thomas Wayne's influence on Bruce Wayne to be more important than Jor-El's influence on Kal/Clark. So I'm not entirely against this Jor-El development, not conceptually anyway. My problem is actually that I think his motivation here is kinda cliche and redundant. I mean how many "humans suck, kryptonians ftw!" villains do we need?
    But yeah, as far as who Superman's true dad is Jonathan Kent or Jor-El.... I mean, it's gotta be Jonathan. Jor-El is the reason he's alive, but the Kents were the ones who raised him. I think Superman absolutely should care about his kryptonian heritage and appreciate his birth parents for their sacrifice, but come on, end of the day, he doesn't even remember those people.
    He had a deeper insight of what happened on Krypton in AC#977, you should re-read it. Witnessing those events first person should have left something now. I'm more than sure now that the issue after Reborn they used to revisit that part of Kal's origin was meant for Superman as a character to have a much stronger shock value during the reveal.

Also, he doesn't seem to hate humans AND praise kryptonians over them. We will see what happens when he visits Lois, then it should be clear if he is biased towards humanity as a whole or he still sees potential for good, but noe considers it insignificant in a grand scheme.

Superman's actually "visited" Krypton and "spoken" to his parents in various forms throughout all incarnations, and indeed in this one, and not just in Action #977. So he definitely knows Jor-El in a stronger sense than him just being his biological seed and that's that. Science, time travel, alternate dimensions, these things have allowed him to actually know his biological father. So yes he remembers him and Lara. Just in a different way.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-14-2017 at 11:03 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by FishyZombie View Post
    Really? You don't have any problem with that?
    Because that made me want to puke.

TellTale Series destroying the image of Thomas Wayne and pretty much ALL the Batman mythos is based on is something unacceptable.
    Dc Comics should sue them instead of getting money from them

Spectacular Member

That cover showing Jor-El with Jonathan is so lame... I'm so sick of "let's try to corrupt the son of Superman" plot.
    They're gonna make me hate little Jonathan. Really.

In the end, as Dan Jurgens practically said, Jor-El will be a little redeemed. But, as far as I'm concerned, the damage is done.

This pretty much confirms that splash page showing Clark's fears... Jon really will join his bad-granpa.
    And about Lois getting cancer (which is going to happen really soon and will span throughout the continuity year during Doomsday Clock)... please... stop using Lois as a tool.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jason white reborn View Post
    jor-el is a nothing character with little personality...for it to be a character assasination jor-el needs to be a character to begin with
    I wouldn't quite put it like that but Jor El is rather limited in the mythos. It's basically that he's limited to a few significant moments in a life cut short before the story begins. Many of the scenes put together for him outside of the origin just echo an experience in his son's life, only with less punching.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Jor-El is Clark's actual Dad. As is Jonathan. Neither are any less his father, even if Jor-El wasn't there in the flesh. A proper Superman lore has Jor-El teach his son many lessons in his own right from beyond the grave. What Jor-El is like very much matters. Its the only reason that right now as it stands the reveal holds any weight, because what Jor-El is very much matters to Superman.

Perhaps there was an era once upon a time where such a thing might make Superman barely bat an eye because he couldn't be bothered to give a crap about much of anything in regards to his Kryptonian heritage, but thankfully those days are dead and gone.
    There was never a time where Jor El coming back as a prune faced serial killer keeping a bunch of random people he knows in a basement against their will wouldn't do a number on Clark's head.

And they still didn't raise him, I'm sorry but that alone gives the Kents the edge, in my book. A couple of time travel visits aren't really going to change that. (As for #977, that was basically him watching stock footage of them before they died. That doesn't mean Superman shouldn't value or even love who they were and what they did for him. They were still family. But take this for example, I have a grandfather who died before I was born, I could watch a bunch of old videos of my gramps, or read his diary or whatever, get a sense of the kind man he was, but that's never going to compare to having a real relationship built on shared experiences.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    While I think have him be Oz is dumb, I don't think it's a big deal. Whether he's evil, an anti-villain, or a reverse Superboy Prime strawman for DC writers and editors who want to keep things the way they were in the Silver Age (As GodisAwesome suggested), what Jor-El is like really doesn't matter. If it was Clark's ACTUAL dad, I'd have a problem.
    Jor-El is his actual dad. It isn't his fault that he died, along with his entire world. I think it's very dismissive to people with good parents who have simply passed on, to say otherwise. Who Jor-El is/was very much matters to who Superman is/will become. It is the sacrifice of Superman's parents that bring him to Earth and set in motion his life.

There's a way to honor your family, your entire family, without being dismissive to loved ones who are deceased and further more just because a man is dead doesn't mean his reach has ended. Superman had a great man for a father, and a kind and true man to raise him. Both are immensely important in his life.

Revealing this as Jor-El is spotty as hell, but it makes sense coming from the current Superman books and the total lack of good storytelling there.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Jor-El is his actual dad. It isn't his fault that he died, along with his entire world. I think it's very dismissive to people with good parents who have simply passed on, to say otherwise. Who Jor-El is/was very much matters to who Superman is/will become. It is the sacrifice of Superman's parents that bring him to Earth and set in motion his life.
    Not a matter of "good" or bad. Because that can be subjective. For example, my dad is dead, and while I don't think highly of who he was, my older brother does. And yet neither of us would deny that he was absolutely our father.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Both are immensely important in his life.
    I don't disagree that Jor-El is important to Clark's life: he's the reason he has one at all twice over. But that alone isn't enough to qualify as someone's father in my book. Yes, they've also had some brief interactions, but that doesn't compare AT ALL to raising someone their entire life. (And yes, being really damn good at it)

Quote Originally Posted by AntoKent17 View Post
    They're gonna make me hate little Jonathan. Really.
    Already did that to me a month ago.

Did Jor-El become Ultimate Reed Richards?

Spectacular Member Embryonic Superman's Avatar

Honestly, this is the biggest story they could do in the run-up to Action #1000. And, in my opinion, any mythos-shattering story can be done so long as it's done well. Jor-El has always loomed large over Superman, but as background texture rather than a real character. This doesn't fundamentally change anything about him from the little time we've spent with him, either when he decided to launch Kal-El from Krypton to Earth or recorded all of those holograms for him. This isn't the equivalent of Thomas Wayne revealing he faked his death to become a supervillain (as the fakeout in Batman R.I.P. suggested). This is that Jor-El plucked from the timestream by a greater force and corrupted into something ugly and vicious. I'm eager to see where it's going, and I'm virtually certain it will all be reset by the end of Action #1000 anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    You have every right to be upset. But don't worry. I don't think we are going to have an outright villain. There has to be a redemption. Either he changes by the influence of Superman and his family or he dies saving the world regretting his misdeeds. There are many ways to salvage the situation. If Darth Vader can be redeemed why can't Jor-El?

And we don't know if he is a villain or not.
    But hasn't he kidnapped guys like Tim Drake and held him prisoner? Yes, removing Tim when he was removed may have prevented Tim's death, but holding him wherever/whenever he is doesn't exactly qualify as not being a villain.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But hasn't he kidnapped guys like Tim Drake and held him prisoner? Yes, removing Tim when he was removed may have prevented Tim's death, but holding him wherever/whenever he is doesn't exactly qualify as not being a villain.
    We don't know for sure why he is capturing people. We know he took Doomsday, Mr. Mxypzptlk, and Tim. But why these three? Is there any reason which is apparent. At this time i am giving him a benefit of doubt because i am not sure why he is doing what he is doing.

He might be having good intentions but doing things in the wrong way. I can't jump at this conclusion right away.

And he saved Tim. If he died it would be better for Jor-El. If Tim is dead he is out of the picture. Why imprison him unnecessarily?

There is more to this then what meets the eye.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 09-15-2017 at 07:54 AM.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AntoKent17 View Post
    In the end, as Dan Jurgens practically said, Jor-El will be a little redeemed. But, as far as I'm concerned, the damage is done.
    He better being talking some about multiversal shift where Jor-El no longer did any of these things and oh I don't know: died on Krypton!
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Last Son of Shaolin GreatKungLao's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    We don't know for sure why he is capturing people. We know he took Doomsday, Mr. Mxypzptlk, and Tim. But why these three? Is there any reason which is apparent. At this time i am giving him a benefit of doubt because i am not sure why he is doing what he is doing.

He might be having good intentions but doing things in the wrong way. I can't jump at this conclusion right away.

And he saved Tim. If he died it would be better for Jor-El. If Tim is dead he is out of the picture. Why imprison him unnecessarily?
    You forgot about Prophecy from Multiplicity arc.