Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by GreatKungLao View Post
    You forgot about Prophecy from Multiplicity arc.
    Prophecy the villain. Yes i remember now. Thank you. The kidnappings appear very random.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 09-15-2017 at 08:11 AM.

Incredible Member Krypto's Fleas's Avatar

I'm wondering if this is a Jor-El from a different Krypton, aka multiverse.

Nope, he's the defacto Jor-El. Jurgens confirms it in his latest interview on the front page.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Nope, he's the defacto Jor-El. Jurgens confirms it in his latest interview on the front page.
    NOT A HOAX, NOT A DREAM...

...Until another writer says so

They just gone done doing something similar to Maxima in the same week after all

Well in this case of course Jurgens is rather the writer right now. He's leading the ship so I'm feeling comfortable taking his word for it for the time being now.

Its one of those things one can easily see being thrown out years into the future when its new teams and new directions. In that regard, its wholly likely if not a flat out guarantee gets wiped out eventually. But for now, for the story being told and the direction going forward as long as the hierarchy generally remains the same, I think its likely he's telling the truth and this is simply Jor-El.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Personality wise, he sort of harkens back to the Smallville take On Jor-El, but I suspect this is an alternate dimension version of him or something. Showing him handle kryptonite with no ill effect was no accident on the part of the writer, and points to this not being the Jor-El we all know (sort of)

yeah yeah yeah, until fans erupt and Dan walks it back. If theres one thing that Secret Empire has taught us, creators and editors love to make big bold claims...until it hits their pocket books and they issue a retraction or altered ending.

BANNED

Tropes like this exist for a reason

Quote Originally Posted by jyamen View Post
    yeah yeah yeah, until fans erupt and Dan walks it back. If theres one thing that Secret Empire has taught us, creators and editors love to make big bold claims...until it hits their pocket books and they issue a retraction or altered ending.
    Thing is though they haven't erupted, and if they were going to this would have been the issue that did it. This issue pretty much spelled out his mustache twirling villainy. And the reaction has actually been rather even-keeled. This can either be a good sign or a bad sign depending (ex. if fans just don't care and that's why there's little outrage, that's a problem in its own right), but this is not getting major blowback.

BTW I love that avatar.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-15-2017 at 01:35 PM.

BANNED

Except fans aren't erupting. The reaction has been rather even-keeled. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but this is not getting major blowback.
    Depending on who you ask, their reaction is probably "Jor-El's an ass? What's new? I've seen Smallville"

Spectacular Member

It's not only Smallville in Superman the movie, Jor-El spent several years indoctrinating Kal-El instead of letting him live his life. I wouldn't exactly call this positiv either.

It may be a lie. But i hope not. There is a potential to tell a wonderful story.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ArchnemesisDad

This is another trope. Not a challenge but an option. This can be a great story.

They could not do so with Captain America. This is because there are a lot of fans of him. They had to backtrack. He has his series. Jor-El is not Captain America.
    I say tell this story. In the end he can be redeemed in a satisfactory manner. Not by a shortcut.

Quote Originally Posted by Stardust View Post
    It's not only Smallville in Superman the movie, Jor-El spent several years indoctrinating Kal-El instead of letting him live his life. I wouldn't exactly call this positiv either.

Nah, that was fully intended, and came across as, positive. He wasn't denying Clark live his life, he was a teacher teaching his student. Clark needed to know these things going forward. He was getting the answers and the lessons he himself sought out so he could plot his future. That the teachings took 12 years, well, that was a consequence that Clark himself not once is ever portrayed as regretting.

Astonishing Member

Honestly reading this real dad vs fake dad stuff about Jor-El vs Jonathan is pretty embarrassing to see associated with Supes. Reads like teenage soap opera stuff and frankly I thought it was bad when they did that with the Conner baby daddy drama. This Superman for pete's sake not some stupid teenager on Maury.

I know that Superman as a concept engenders a lot of insecurity, what with this alien from another planet coming to "fix" our problems which we ourselves can't seem to solve I've seen a similar sentiment with Wonder Woman. But I think we need to get over it, desperately trying to put our stamp on Superman just makes him look weak and sort of pathetic. Frankly I'm not sure why John Byrne had to stir the pot and create this Earth vs Krypton thing that's been going on since 1986 in the first place, before that it seemed pretty simple to Clark that he had two sets of parents. Now were stuck with "MUH REAL DAD".

Beyond that there's something inherently unmanly about watching a guy grovel at another races feet. You can lift the universe but a man with that mentality will always be weak of mind.

As for the reveal I don't really care one way or another. Pretty irrelevant in the larger mythos because in the end Jor-El always dies on Krypton.
    Last edited by The World; 09-15-2017 at 04:55 PM.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

John Byrne hasn't so much as touched Superman in like 12 years...

Anyway, to the idea of walking back radical developments: writing a story less people want to the loss of your own career gain sounds like a terrible position to be in. Fan support runs the industry, and unfortunately people are just as likely to complain about the "same old stuff " as they are to complain about things being too radical.

I imagine you have to wing it pretty furiously and aim for the demographic's sweet spot, like anything they do with Batman or Spider-Man. One More Day sold more than any other comic in those months, that's the power of when fandom is willing to give the benefit of a doubt. Jurgens has been at this for like 30 years, the benefit of a doubt would be sweet to see.