Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Spectacular Member Embryonic Superman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    That was not so obvious. But i agree. Lara asked whether he will rule them? Shape them to proper Kryptonian ways? Jor-El said 'Perhaps'.
    Yes he hoped so. A few panels later Jor-El said that their child would save the legacy of Krypton.
    Byrne's Jor-El also specified he wanted to send Kal-El to Earth because of their capacity to love one another, something Kryptonians had lost generations ago. "I speak of a fullness of life we have denied for ourselves... but which I shall give back to our son!" Lara was more the Kryptonian absolutist in that take.

Yes that was obvious that Lara was more absolutist than Kor-El. One of the most poignant scenes was this last time he says that he loves his wife. The World of Krypton was so sterile and cold that such a thing might never have been said by anyone for thousands of years. In a way Krypton was already dead before ots destruction.

This is not directly mentioned that he sent him to let him find love. Two are direct: he would be most powerful and second to save Krypton's legacy. But this can be easily inferenced that he admired love between humans. His saying that he loves his wife was someone saying this after centuries. He attributed this to Earth. So, yes he wanted Kal-El to experience love in Earth. Thank You for giving more insight into this.

Honestly, I expected Mr. Oz to be Alexander Luthor from Earth-3, but the idea of him being an alternate Jor-El seems puzzling.

We'll see how this goes.
    Last edited by Rod G; 09-16-2017 at 06:58 PM.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

Disappointed by the reveal. Star Wars called, they want their twist back.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatKungLao View Post
    [A]re humans even worth fighting for in the first place? Why exactly then if yes? Is there hope at all for human race in the first place? Is there a point in trying to do good if in the end humanity still choses to do evil despite all your efforts?
    You know, it's not like the Kryptonians were so perfect. They had wars. They have a ton of evil villains in the Phantom Zone. They arrogantly stuck to their erroneous beliefs - even when their best scientist was telling them otherwise - and let their planet get destroyed.

Kryptonians aren't monolithically good - or evil - and neither are humans. Superman is a person, regardless of his planet of origin. Kryptonians were people. Earthlings are people. If Jor-El asks, "Are humans worth saving?", it seems to me that his son's response should be, "Well, was Krypton worth trying to save?"

Kal-El was brought up on Earth, has a human wife and a half-human son. It's his home now. It's got good people and bad people on it. I think it's a little late in the game to be provoking an existential crisis by pointing out that some of them do bad things. he knows that, and it seems to be true of most planets we see.

Superman's helping people who need help, protecting people threatened by dangers bigger than they can handle. Any doctor or fire fighter or Coast Guard officer does the same; Superman just has greater powers to do it with. I never got the impression that he thinks of himself as a god, come to judge humanity for their sins before deciding whether they're "worth saving," or to "save humanity" by making them all Good. I hope he rejects the whole premise of Jor-El's question outright, rather than try to prove "but there's good in them!"

I also hope that's not Jor-El. But that's just me.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Last Son of Shaolin GreatKungLao's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bifrost View Post
    You know, it's not like the Kryptonians were so perfect. They had wars. They have a ton of evil villains in the Phantom Zone. They arrogantly stuck to their erroneous beliefs - even when their best scientist was telling them otherwise - and let their planet get destroyed.

Kryptonians aren't monolithically good - or evil - and neither are humans. Superman is a person, regardless of his planet of origin. Kryptonians were people. Earthlings are people. If Jor-El asks, "Are humans worth saving?", it seems to me that his son's response should be, "Well, was Krypton worth trying to save?"

Kal-El was brought up on Earth, has a human wife and a half-human son. It's his home now. It's got good people and bad people on it. I think it's a little late in the game to be provoking an existential crisis by pointing out that some of them do bad things. he knows that, and it seems to be true of most planets we see.

Superman's helping people who need help, protecting people threatened by dangers bigger than they can handle. Any doctor or fire fighter or Coast Guard officer does the same; Superman just has greater powers to do it with. I never got the impression that he thinks of himself as a god, come to judge humanity for their sins before deciding whether they're "worth saving," or to "save humanity" by making them all Good. I hope he rejects the whole premise of Jor-El's question outright, rather than try to prove "but there's good in them!"

I also hope that's not Jor-El. But that's just me.
    Again, we still haven't seen Mr Oz praising kryptonians over humans. His motivations are still unclear. Maybe he wants to point out that humanity eventually will end up as Krypton because as a crowd humanity or living beings with conscious in general are animals and only individuals are worth saving or something like that. We will see.

Maybe he came to Agent Smith's conclusion

I saw the AC 988/989 covers..

He is destroying all the important things in Superman life, of course, he is not his father..

BANNED

if he isn't jor el could he be the Russian zod or Jonathan playing a twisted joke on him to reclaim his family?

Spectacular Member

Hey Guys... accept that: IT'S THE REBIRTH JOR-EL.
    Unfortunately, and sadly, he's THIS timeline Jor-El.

Last Son of Shaolin GreatKungLao's Avatar

But how can he be Reborn Jor-El if he was around since New 52?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by GreatKungLao View Post
    But how can he be Reborn Jor-El if he was around since New 52?
    Due to the Reborn Reboot this is a new timeline and Oz is the Jor-El of this new timeline. Not another timeline Jor-El.
    Of course, if you want my opinion... I'm with you... this is all a big hell of a mess.

With this Oz-Jor-El story-arc they're making a huge leap in the dark... they could screw it all. In my mind they already did that.
    Last edited by AntoKent17; 09-18-2017 at 04:01 AM.

Retired

I'm not adverse to Krypton having problems of its own making. But it seems to me that we're supposed to think of Krypton as highly advanced over Earth. So the problems it would have would be problems of a highly advanced culture. To make this work, the science fiction writer has to anticipate what might happen in the future and how all the efforts to make a better society could go wrong in some way that undermines them. Whereas, we don't see that kind of invention with Krypton and they fail for reasons of our own time--you would think they should have fought and resolved those wars centuries ago. It's just not that interesting to me, it's not good science fiction.

He could be the Jor-El of an alternate universe.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

It doesn't really matter which Jor-El this is, since it's painfully obvious this Jor-El, along with the entire history of the DCU, has been altered by outside forces.

It's Nazi Cap all over again. Half the internet had a gigantic hissy fit over that and, guess what, he's not a Nazi anymore and never really was a Nazi because, of course he isn't. Has no one read a superhero comic before? Does anyone seriously think DC is actually going to permanently make Joe-El a bad guy?

Wait a year, and I guarantee all the toys will be put back in their toy box exactly the way they were, because that's the way superhero comic work, have always worked and will always work.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Has Jor-El's characterization in comics, movies, TV, etc., been consistent over the years? Golden/Silver Age comics Jor-El was different from later depictions, as were the various movie and TV Jor-Els. Overall, has he been benign, malevolent, or indifferent?

"Mr. Oz" is definitely the most malevolent that I've ever seen him portrayed, but are there precedents for this in earlier appearances?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014