Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default Which tv character did you love at first that you can no longer stand?

With television, there are bound to those types of characters that you feel sick about. You know, the ones that you used to like and now despise with all of your being. A lot of the time, it could be due to horrible/downhill writing. Other times, it is overexposure. And sometimes, you just change as a person and realize that you just don't like those types of characters anymore.

One example: Felicity on Arrow. She was the fun, comedic character that lightened up the show. That was necessary in the first two seasons, and we all loved her for it. Unfortunately, the writers made the mistake of listening to fans and decided to make her Oliver's love interest, and everything went straight to hell after that. That writing love stories is a major weakness for the Arrowverse writers didn't help matters. As a result, Felicity is now one of the shows biggest problems (or she was until last season, when the newbies took over that role and made her look good by comparison.)

In a reverse of this thread, I just introduced a friend to Community last night. She hated Jeff Winger from the start (he is, after all, a massive tool), but then by the end he was partially redeemed and the strength of the other characters convinced her to stay.

Now, of course, that's by design, but now with the episode fresh in my head, it's a great example of how to turn a character 180 in a somewhat plausible way.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I still hated Felicity over the newbies. Nothing short of being removed from the show will redeem the character for me at this point.

The ending of season 2 of The Flash has soured Barry to me as a character. The ending invalidated the development he went through in the season and the following seasons didn't seem interested in fixing his dangerous idiot tendencies.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Daisy/Quake on Agents of SHIELD. She is just so annoying now compared to how she was in the earlier seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Daisy/Quake on Agents of SHIELD. She is just so annoying now compared to how she was in the earlier seasons.
    I share that, too, partly because everything has to revolve around her somehow. In the span of five or six years, not only is she one of the world's premier hackers, she's now one of the world's premier martial artists in no time flat. Not only is she one of the world's premier martial artists, she's a powerful Inhuman. Not only is she a powerful Inhuman, but she outranks several SHIELD agents, including Fitz and Simmons (who went to SHIELD school) and May (who has a decades-long career and was second only to Phil). And that's on top of juggling romance and being in the center of global conspiracies and even being the prophesied destroyer of worlds.

The second half of last season toyed with audience expectations about it and subverted some of the usual tropes there (turns out she's not a great director), but that wouldn't have been necessary had she not had all these traits pushed on her that, not just make her good, but amazing and one of the best in whatever given field they felt like that week.

Astonishing Member

My first thought was Daisy from Agents of Shield as well! Writer's pet character that went too far being shoved down our throats.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    ...but she outranks several SHIELD agents, including Fitz and Simmons (who went to SHIELD school) and May (who has a decades-long career and was second only to Phil)...
    That's comic-book accuracy for you.

What? Nobody remembers when (at the time a very new character) 616 Daisy was the actual Director of 616 S.H.I.E.L.D.?

Skye/Daisy/Quake/The Destroyer of Worlds was the one that jumped out at me, too. It's an ensemble show where one character is talked up way, way too much, and the actress has become limited to acting "badass", which doesn't do her any favours. Too much hard-sell can be a real turn-off, especially as it is, as I said before, an ensemble show.

Arya Stark. She used to be one of my favourites in Game of Thrones. But since season 6, I'm liking her less and less for some reason. Can't really put my finger on it why.

Extraordinary Member

Sheldon from Big Bang Theory.

I can't stand Quake anymore on AoS but I honestly can't decide if it was the show or the actress that turned me on her. CB's complaining about the films ignoring the TV shows annoyed me it's like of course they do most film goers don't watch your show. I like how the Netflix guys handle it with comments like yeah it'd be nice but we're doing our own thing anyway.

Alan from Two and a Half Men. He used to be someone I felt bad for, and rooted for him to have some good in his life. But as the series went on, he just became a pathetic guy through and through. It wasn't even funny how pathetic he was.

Barry Allen in Flash. (the tv show)

So mopey. I don't know, the way he's written in that show really rubs me off the wrong way.

After season 1, loved the dude back then.

One example: Felicity on Arrow. She was the fun, comedic character that lightened up the show. That was necessary in the first two seasons, and we all loved her for it. Unfortunately, the writers made the mistake of listening to fans and decided to make her Oliver's love interest, and everything went straight to hell after that. That writing love stories is a major weakness for the Arrowverse writers didn't help matters. As a result, Felicity is now one of the shows biggest problems (or she was until last season, when the newbies took over that role and made her look good by comparison.)
    Found it more strange she was in one show and her son firestom was in another and she didn't even know him. DC shows are strange.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Everybody complained about AoS being a superhero show with no superheroes, and then complain about Daisy becoming a superhero and taking over the show. Can't have it both ways. I like the character a lot more now than in the first couple of seasons, when I couldn't figure out why she was even there.