Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Marvel's Trinity

Over at DC the 'Trinity' is used to refer to Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman.

Although Captain America, Iron Man and Thor are commonly regarded as the equivalent of this withing the Avengers, are they really the equivalents within the Marvel Universe as a whole?

Imo Spider-Man, Wolverine ad Iron Man are probably the trinity in terms of sheer sales/popularity. But what does everyone else think?

Astonishing Member

I do think they're the closest to having a Trinity esque view by its citizens.

Marvel has a "6".... Spidey, Hulk, IM, Cap, Wolv, Thor really
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Niffleheim

There is no Trinity per se in Marvel Comics. It's either Spider-Man, Wolverine or the Avengers.
    Last edited by Tofali; 06-02-2016 at 11:37 AM.

Stilt Man, Toad and NFL Superpro

But seriously, it differs per era

40s would be Namor, Torch and Cap

Today it would be Wolverine, Spidey and Iron Man

In 50 years it could be Squirrel Girl, Spider-Gwen and Ms Marvel.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

Incredible Member

Since DC's trinity isn't actually based on sales, I don't see why we'd base Marvel's on it. And no, Marvel does not actually have one. Steve and Tony would be guaranteed inclusion, but there isn't a clear third member. You could argue for Xavier, Reed, Fury, etc, but there is no easy third member like with DC. No contest, it's Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman. Part of that, I think, comes from how the general public doesn't actually seem to be aware of a LOT that happens. The big, big events, sure. But, like, half of New York thinks Spider-Man is a villain. Spider-Man.

Marvel doesn't have to be one. I don't think it's a bad thing not to. DC Trinity sometimes feels like all DC is about, and the rest are just... the rest. I never felt that way with Marvel.

In terms of The Avengers, Cap, Iron Man, and Thor are usually portrayed as the central Trinity of the team and their biggest members, which is probably fairly equivalent to what the Trinity are for DC even if it's not as recognized.

Popularity wise it would probably be Spidey, Wolverine, and Cap/Iron Man.

I dunno, but the new Amazing Friends are Spider-Man, Nova, and Ms. Marvel.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by Spear of Bashenga View Post
    Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends. The original Marvel Trinity .

Incredible Member

Marvel's Trinity was always Teams, I thought. Avengers, Fantastic Four & X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Spear of Bashenga View Post
    Hahaha, this made me laugh. lol

BANNED

Marvel doesn't have a true trinity.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TickTock View Post
    Since DC's trinity isn't actually based on sales, I don't see why we'd base Marvel's on it. And no, Marvel does not actually have one. Steve and Tony would be guaranteed inclusion, but there isn't a clear third member. You could argue for Xavier, Reed, Fury, etc, but there is no easy third member like with DC. No contest, it's Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman. Part of that, I think, comes from how the general public doesn't actually seem to be aware of a LOT that happens. The big, big events, sure. But, like, half of New York thinks Spider-Man is a villain. Spider-Man.
    Surely Spider-Man would be the obvious third member given his role as the everyman of the universe.

All-New Member

While I understood, I never quite liked the idea of DC's trinity. Mostly because GL and Flash are equally as important icons ...they just didn't break into popular culture like the other three did or at least not as early as they did. The fairer way to measure this is by the JLA Grant Morrison era terms: there are always six heavy hitters ...and then one other who is close to popularity. For DC, it is typically Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, a Flash, a Green Latern, Aqua Man, and Martian Manhunter (or Cyborg). Thus if we were to compare it to that. Marvel's top seven is currently Iron Man, Cap, Spidey, Thor, Wolverine, and Hulk. The seventh is unclear as cases can probably be made for Black Widow, Ant Man, Black Panther, and now Deadpool at this point. I am going to say, popularity in media and comics combined, that Deadpool is probably the guy at this point.

But yeah, no Trinity, just a top seven.