Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Personally speaking, I've never enjoyed anything written by Tomasi ever since he moved away from Green Lantern Corps, a title that at times was better than Johns's Green Lantern, but Super Sons, while far from being perfect, at least works as a concept for a young superhero book. Much more than every iteration of the Teen Titans book that has been churned out in the last 12 years just because there needed to be a monthly Teen Titans book. It's also the only place in the Superman line where Jon seems to be realizing, little by little, its potential as the new designated Superboy, proving one issue at a time that his presence in Big Blue's re-reboot can be an added value for that angle of the DCU rather than the catalyst for a neverending sequence of uninspired vignettes of (Super-)family life.

Overall, I personally find the amount of praise that is poured on this title every month rather disproportionate, but I can see the reasoning behind it, although I don't partake of it. That said...

Quote Originally Posted by AntoKent17 View Post
    The New-Superman is for manga and chinese-japanese comics followers. If you like that style, ok, if you don't... well...
    THIS was an impressive display of self-confidence, for somebody who probably didn't even read the actual comic book (or at best only the one he had in his head) and has no issues showing off that he has no idea what he's talking about. Spoiler alert: there's no "Chinese-Japanese" style since foreign cultures are not monolithic entities. Even bigger spoiler alert: the American comic book industry definitely needs more titles like New Super-man, the undisputed diamond head of the Superman line right now when it comes to characterizations, world-building, relationships between characters, plot development and so on and so forth.
    Last edited by Powertool; 09-24-2017 at 02:27 PM.

Incredible Member

I can't believe that DC would let Tom King set up the whole Batman proposal to Catwoman if she didn't say yes. Now the marriage might not last, as both realise that neither of them will change their ways, for instance, but to my way of thinking, there are too many stories to mine, likeDamian and the rest of th Bat family's reaction, the JL's reaction and the reaction of the friends of Cat. Please, Mr. King, let her say yes!

I think this might have been my favorite issue of the series to date.

You know, Tomasi's Superman started out so well, but has sort of stumbled lately (granted Im a few issues behind so maybe its turning around?) and Super-Sons just keeps getting better. I wonder if this is the book where Tomasi's heart and head are at, and the Superman title is losing his interest?

Same thing happened with Lobdell; his Titans started off decently enough (you know, for Lobdell) but once he got on Superman, the quality of Titans dropped drastically and you could tell he started phoning it in and putting his best ideas in Clark's title (and he did have some really cool ideas). I wonder if Tomasi isn't doing the same here?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

I think this pair may end up having the fame of the bromance of their dads but having said that this arc seems to start to drag a little.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    You know, Tomasi's Superman started out so well, but has sort of stumbled lately (granted Im a few issues behind so maybe its turning around?) and Super-Sons just keeps getting better. I wonder if this is the book where Tomasi's heart and head are at, and the Superman title is losing his interest?
    When you think about it, the Superman book really revolved around Jon from the start till the conclusion of Black Dawn. There were a few issues that didn't focus on him, like Multiplicity and the Frankenstein two-parter but the rest focused heavily on him. Son of Superman, Dinosaur Island, World's Smallest, and even Reborn was about Lois & Clark trying to get Jon back.

It seems to be that Tomasi's more interested in Jon than he is Superman, and that's why Super Sons is the better book. That, and he has more time to write Super Sons since it isn't bimonthly like Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by brucekent12 View Post
    I can't believe that DC would let Tom King set up the whole Batman proposal to Catwoman if she didn't say yes. Now the marriage might not last, as both realise that neither of them will change their ways, for instance, but to my way of thinking, there are too many stories to mine, likeDamian and the rest of th Bat family's reaction, the JL's reaction and the reaction of the friends of Cat. Please, Mr. King, let her say yes!
    I will start going to church if it means Tom king stays away from Damian. Also reactions to the couple is a poor poor reason for this. Great stories require more imagination. The biggest selling comic should not be dealing with reaction shots. Look at what Synder is doing. Reactions are not a good enough idea for a story.

I don't know why people are that bothered about this marriage thing. I believe she will say yes because King is a romantic and it's something different however Bruce will never stay married. Catwoman isn't a hero or a house wife she is a thief that's what she was created to be. Turning her into wife erases the brand of one of Bats well known enemies.

Losing patience with Tomasi and this title. I know it fun to dog pile but I'm so close to dropping this if all if does is make fun of my favourite character to prop the new guy.

How does asking if there are more monsters = being bossy and warrant an insult? Because it's Damian.
    And silly Jon superpowers aren't everything and you'll find that out once Damian's standing on your neck

Solid issue though I'm starting to dislike Jon Kent. I know he's 10 but the childishness is starting to grate.
    Glad this issue had less bickering and it was great to see Damian act mature despite the jibs. Jon using his brains is a welcome change though I don't like the fact that he has to be reminded that he has powers and that he should use them.
    The relationship is developing and it's about time.

How does asking if there are more monsters = being bossy and warrant an insult? Because it's Damian.
    And silly Jon superpowers aren't everything and you'll find that out once Damian's standing on your neck
    They are kids and when the heard something that sound like an order, they usually like to mock that, specially when it comes from somebody that is smaller than then.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    They are kids and when the heard something that sound like an order, they usually like to mock that, specially when it comes from somebody that is smaller than then.
    Doesn't have to be kids alone. Damian usually acts like an ass. He's a brat, but he's still a child, so he might get some leeway with some people, with others the fact that he is so young would only make it worse.
    But it surely isn't character assassination, to make new characters act to the tone of voice of someone they have just met, don't know, but who acts like he is a multi billionaire who can order everyone around him around.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    No one mistakes a question for an order
    No-one mistakes a question from someone from a strange place who logically should be full of questions as an order.
    It was an error in writing

Quote Originally Posted by Stardust View Post
    Doesn't have to be kids alone. Damian usually acts like an ass. He's a brat, but he's still a child, so he might get some leeway with some people, with others the fact that he is so young would only make it worse.
    But it surely isn't character assassination, to make new characters act to the tone of voice of someone they have just met, don't know, but who acts like he is a multi billionaire who can order everyone around him around.
    He is a multi billionaire who can order people around. Small minds and their cash are easily parted so I get why Tomasi is going this way.
    You do know that a question is a different tone right?

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

@dietrich you literally have no chill

Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post
    @dietrich you literally have no chill
    Where ignorance and bad writing are concerned it is our duty to have no chill
    Last edited by dietrich; 09-26-2017 at 01:17 AM.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

I actually really enjoyed this and didn't notice that part till you highlighted it. Damian does have superpowers just like batman he has money, insane smarts, cool gadgets and prep time. Can you believe he's got water purifying chems on his person. That's insane. Talk about always prepared.

I love that they are getting better as a team. I want them to be mini bros just like their dads.