Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Spectacular Member 2nd line g's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    165

    Default Marvel Unlimited - opinions/advice please

    Not sure if this is the place to post this but here goes. I've never really considered Marvel Unlimited until today. How do you read your comics? What are your thoughts and opinions on Unlimited? Thanks for any feed back!

  2. #2
    Mighty Member klynn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,403

    Default

    I use it quite often. There are several books I'm curious about but am not invested enough in to purchase monthly so it's fun to check in on them when they hit MU six months later. Plus, as 30-year comic reader it's fun to go back and read old issues from my childhood when I get nostalgic. I wish DC had a similar service.
    Favorites: Natasha Romanova, Dinah Lance, Katina "Katchoo" Choovanski, Janet Van Dyne, Selina Kyle, Kate Bishop, Kitty Pryde, Emma Frost, Carol Danvers, Diana of Themyscira

    Current Read List: Catwoman, Captain Marvel, Fantastic Four, Black Widow, Heroes in Crises, Stangers In Paradise XXV, Crowded, Thor, West Coast Avengers, Wonder Woman, Unstoppable Wasp (Janet), Green Arrow (Dinah)


  3. #3
    Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    7,227

    Default

    I use it three to five times a week, I'd have to say. It's my go-to source for reading all the old back issues of everything (currently reading Runaways, Punisher, X-Men (long-standing project), occasionally Spider-Man, and the All-New, All-Different Marvel books I didn't read when they came out).

    I don't own a tablet, but I'll occasionally read it on my phone as opposed to on my computer and it's just apparent, if you have one, that it's the best way to read it. But I have minimal problems reading it on a computer overall.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

    I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

    Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

  4. #4
    Astonishing Member rui no onna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    2,397

    Default

    Well worth the money despite occasional glitches. I was using a 9.7" iPad to read and recently upgraded to a 12.9" iPad and it's wonderful. It streams comics similar to Netflix so you don't need a lot of local storage.

    Comparison of 9.7 iPad, print floppy and 12.9 iPad. Forgive the yellow lighting. Mind, even with good lighting, colors on the iPad do look more vibrant than the floppy.

    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

  5. #5
    Aged Howler tliscord's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Still on the wall
    Posts
    500

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by klynn View Post
    I use it quite often. There are several books I'm curious about but am not invested enough in to purchase monthly so it's fun to check in on them when they hit MU six months later. Plus, as 30-year comic reader it's fun to go back and read old issues from my childhood when I get nostalgic. I wish DC had a similar service.
    Completely agree with everyone's comments here. Well worth the money. And also I'd be very interested in a similar service at D.C. I'm really at a loss why they don't move forward with one. As one who collects too I've found it quite helpful choosing historical runs to buy in print. If there ever was a better platform to exemplify Marvel's commitment to continuity, it's their development of this digital library.

  6. #6
    Aged Howler tliscord's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Still on the wall
    Posts
    500

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rui no onna View Post
    Well worth the money despite occasional glitches. I was using a 9.7" iPad to read and recently upgraded to a 12.9" iPad and it's wonderful. It streams comics similar to Netflix so you don't need a lot of local storage.

    Comparison of 9.7 iPad, print floppy and 12.9 iPad. Forgive the yellow lighting. Mind, even with good lighting, colors on the iPad do look more vibrant than the floppy.

    That's great stuff! I too read off the iPad ... maybe the most used app I have on it believe it or not. And despite the nostalgia I have for collecting old issues ( almost finished with the entire Cap run beginning in Tales of Suspense), the digital colors are superior in every way. Plus, occasionally they add the old letters pages ... which are a hoot to read over. Let's just say those letters were as passionately written then as our boards are today.
    Last edited by tliscord; 09-14-2017 at 08:55 PM.

  7. #7
    Astonishing Member rui no onna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    2,397

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tliscord View Post
    Completely agree with everyone's comments here. Well worth the money. And also I'd be very interested in a similar service at D.C. I'm really at a loss why they don't move forward with one. As one who collects too I've found it quite helpful choosing historical runs to buy in print. If there ever was a better platform to exemplify Marvel's commitment to continuity, it's their development of this digital library.
    Marvel makes their money from single issues. Backlist is just gravy. Lol, I don't quite see it as commitment to continuity. I think it's probably more like an escape hatch if the direct market crashes hard. Very forward thinking, imho.

    Meanwhile, DC is far more dependent on their backlist trades for revenue. I believe they're probably quite concerned that unlimited digital subscription service will eat into that trade revenue.
    Last edited by rui no onna; 09-14-2017 at 08:58 PM.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

  8. #8
    Astonishing Member rui no onna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    2,397

    Default

    With better lighting.

    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •