View Poll Results: Better Team Leader: Captain America or Cyclops?

Voters
142. You may not vote on this poll
  • cap

43 30.28%
  • cyke

99 69.72%
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Though gotta say, missed opportunity that Cyclops was dead during Secret Empire. Imagine if he was leading the resistance against Hydra.
    That could have been insanely cool, if well written.

I could see facing pages, with Captain Hydra looking over one fancy high-tech table with holographic maps and displays and commenting that their enemy's tactics are perplexing and that wherever they strike, the enemy doesn't seem to be, and on the opposite page, facing the other direction over a rattier table in a temporary HQ covered with paper maps (but so that the composition makes it look like they are on opposite sides of the same table), Cyclops is moving resistance cells around to keep ahead of Hydra purges, which require large vehicles and numbers of troops to move into position, and can never quite move as quickly (or covertly) as small cells of resistance fighters.

Ideally written, neither of them would look like chumps, but Hydra Cap would be somewhat handicapped by the size of his forces and the difficulty of moving them around quickly or quietly, and Cyke would be obviously unable to meet them openly, having a much smaller and less-well-armed resistance group, better suited for fast tactical raids, but not open confrontation. (Fortunately for Cyke, the underdog position is pretty much exactly where he lives, and thrives. Cap's actually similar, in that respect, and hindered by being commander of a big force and giant weapons, as he's, from the Invaders to the Avengers, generally been the leader of the small strike force of hard-to-wrangle loners and ego-dominant troublemakers (like Namor and Hawkeye and Stark and T'Challa, who are different flavors of hard to manage, as much as Wolverine, in their own ways) that gets in and out, like Cyclops.)

Cyclops would have saved the USA with leading the underground with Black Widow and maybe Hawkeye along with the New Tian country military.

Then he would have defeated Capt. Hydra with his apron and frying pan while saying, "My, how tables are turned. Remember AvX, Capt. Hipocrisy? Remember that lecture you gave me in jail? Well, pot meet kettle".

Then he beats him up with the frying pan, saves the USA and gives a nationwide speech. "See what the mutants did. We just saved your country and our country from a false symbol of heroism and hope and we freed the USA and the world from the clutches of terrorism. We also avenged all those deaths in Las Vegas. We are the X-Men and we are mutants. Put some respect in our name." then drops the mic.

He puts Bucky as director of SHIELD, Black Widow as leader of the Avengers and Sam as the new Capt. America.

Then he leaves the X-Men and creates a new superhero team with cheers and ovations like they do to the Avengers and Fantastic Four all the time.

We should've had this poll on the Marvel boards instead, on here of course that Scott is gonna win lol.

BANNED

Default Why Cyclops is better than Captain America

So to only a few people surprises, my guess is the surprise will be from people that like mcu movies. a poll is on right now on marvel forum about cycke vs cap ,,,who is the better leader and to no one surprise if you are a comic veteran or even have a clue about these character from elsewjhere, Cyke is easily leading the poll.
    http://community.comicbookresources....Cyclops/page11

this is a true testatment because that is a marvel forum not even the x books forums

I thought I say this on the x boards to avoid more pain for those that love other marvel ips such as the captain america IP but the reason why cyke is better than captain america is...ah, there are many reason but I went for one i thought i did share on this board too and I am sure many would agree/

from the few I have seen with cap, his leadership is boring, one dimensional and predicable. not trilling to read about, I know this alone from cable and xforce.

However When cyclops is in charge, you never know what you are going to get and there are major surprises in his leadership and technicality skills. cyclops always surprises and blows my mind in a good way.

one of the reason I had him in my top 20 best xmen list a few weeks back. and many of you had him in your top 3-5 too.
    http://community.comicbookresources....all-time/page4

also one thing cyclops had over captain america are his pals and to name the few. rogue, wolverine, emma, jean, cable, beast. cyclops has a great support system unlike cap who has further boring characters I have yet to see reference in pop culture or know by even name refernce.

Now for those who are saying steve is better because of patriotism , I get it but there is zero substance there. only one character has the best stories told that people will more likely read and re read and relate to...that is cyclops hands down.

IMO this is why cyke takes the cake over cap.
    Last edited by Jaddor; 09-29-2017 at 01:39 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    We should've had this poll on the Marvel boards instead, on here of course that Scott is gonna win lol.
    I know huh. LOL.

If this was x books, scott will be winning by 90%. i think we need to look at the bigger picture. what this shows again is longevity and impact of xmen that other marvel's ip lacks despite the mcu. cap cannot even beat cycke here with his own solo movies and team movies that cyke does not have.

its funny that people think cyclops is the better leader just from comics compared to cap who has comics and MCU Disney freaking movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaddor View Post
    I know huh. LOL.

If this was x books, scott will be winning by 90%. i think we need to look at the bigger picture. what this shows again is longevity and impact of xmen that other marvel's ip lacks despite the mcu. cap cannot even beat cycke here with his own solo movies and team movies that cyke does not have.

its funny that people think cyclops is the better leader just from comics compared to cap who has comics and MCU Disney freaking movies.
    is not that we thing is that he is 'cough cough'

Quote Originally Posted by Geek Mangacomic View Post
    He also cheated on Jean with a sloot.
    lmfao and she cheated on him and the professor messed with his mind to forget his own brother so..... he got payback

Doesn't seem to be much different in the general thread either.

Niffleheim

You make it seem as if it's hard to journey all the way yonder to the Marvel Forum

X-Men123

Default Cyclops vs His Avengers Counterpart

This is intended, in some ways, to be a defense of the BEST leader in the Marvel universe, although, I hope that by saying this at the start, I’m able to be aware of some of the bias that might seep into this, and thereby limit it, in order to be impartial.

Cyclops is a HERO. And I honestly can’t understand why anyone would consider him to be a villain. If you look at his behaviour prior to AvX, during AvX, and into IvX, it can all be understood in the context of him fighting for the survival of his people; and not only was he successful in staving off the extinction of the X-gene, but he also helped “re-start” his people. He was ultimately proven right in believing that Hope would be the catalyst that would reignite the mutant race, and if it had been up to the Avengers, they would have locked her away and not let that happen. The fact that the Avengers tried to intervene was even more galling when you consider how they behaved during House of M, where they considered Wanda to be an “Avengers problem”, and therefore discarded the X-Men’s views on how to handle that situation.

In terms of what happened during AvX, you’ll notice that they were living in a Utopia created by the X-Men until the Avengers continued to attack. The power they were imbued with was being used for good, not evil. You can argue that ultimately absolute power would have corrupted absolutely, but the truth is, he was not driven off the rails until the continued intervention by the Avengers. And even then, his behaviour can be explained by being overcome by the Pheonix.

In IvX, he was justified in again defending his people from being wiped off the map; and you’ll note that the Avengers were nowhere to be found during this crisis.

Based on all this, can you blame Cyclops for making hard choices (ie. X-Force, etc)?? He was the man that did what had to be done in order to preserve Xavier’s dream. This idea that he was a “speci-est” is just inaccurate; he did not put mutant survival ahead of humans, but thought it was just as important, not a sentiment shared by the Marvel Universe at large.

And when you compare his being vilified (by some) in comparison to Captain America, it’s even more shocking. Cyke had to deal with a more powerful entity (Phoenix vs cosmic cube), and did less damage, whereas Rogers established a tyrnannical state, that resulted in the execution of his friend(s) and others. In fact, the “hero” Cap running around the MU right now isn’t even really him, it’s an aspect of his imagination that has been personified by the Cube; the real Rogers has become an Agent of Hydra. But the other heroes have given him a pass, while still continuing to be wary of Summers.

I think it’s obvious that Cyclops is better than Captain America on every level, and I find this attempt to make him apologize for being the hero that was needed to be very puzzling. He’s got nothing to apologize for, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by X-Men123 View Post
    Cyke had to deal with a more powerful entity (Phoenix vs cosmic cube) and did less damage, whereas Rogers established a tyrnannical state, that resulted in the execution of his friend(s) and others. In fact, the “hero” Cap running around the MU right now isn’t even really him, it’s an aspect of his imagination that has been personified by the Cube; the real Rogers has become an Agent of Hydra.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Extraordinary Member

Cap was manipulated by the Cosmic Cube. That wasn't really him.

And I think there's some teeth to the argument that Scott was sort of the villain. The issue is that Marvel never went far enough in that and so the whole thing was sort of silly.

Astonishing Member

I had to vote for my fellow steve even though my middle name is scott
    Last edited by steve2275; 02-07-2019 at 05:56 AM.
    RIP MARVEL HEROES 04.06.2013 - 27.11.2017
    Transformers TCG player

I think for a man who lived through World War II allowing an entire race of people to be rounded up and either deported, put in detention centres, or experimented on seems like he doesn't even remember his own history. The Avengers have allowed the mutants of the world to be persecuted at a level that is frightening and they stand idly by making sure the hate mongers don't get injured.

This portrayal makes Captain America and the Avengers as a whole look complicit in the genocide of an entire segment of the human race. They are not directly supporting it, but in a sense they are propping up the new fascist world order that dictates that mutants must be purged from human society by any means necessary. Of course this has been done before with Wanda's "no more mutants" and she got a free pass "oh come back to the Avengers Wanda".

Whether Scott is a better leader than Steve I guess can be debated as long as you ignore Steve being indirectly complicit in a fascist world order. As a team leader in combat I would say Steve is better than Scott from a military perspective. Scott is more of a hero/martyr type who may inspire people but he isn't always the best leader, in the case of the X-Men he was one of the only leaders they had, and like any leader facing the extinction of his race he has had to make incredibly hard decisions that people don't like.