View Poll Results: Better Team Leader: Captain America or Cyclops?

Voters
142. You may not vote on this poll
  • cap

43 30.28%
  • cyke

99 69.72%
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member Victorian_Soul's Avatar

This is so biased, you knew who was going to win.

BANNED

Like him or not: Cap's entire deal is to be an inspiring Leader and Icon. Cyclops is not. When Steve turned evil he managed to get people to just offer him the world.
    Same as Hitler. Captain being able to lead sheep isn't very impressive.

Cyclops can't even unite the X-Men.
    Exactly. Unlike Captain, Cyclops isn't surrounded by sheep. The X-Men challenged him at every corner yet he still led mutant-kind to safety despite all the opposition he faced from other X-Men.

But judging from what the guy said who posted the original thread, this seems to be a popularity contest and nothing more anyway.
    So you're saying Cyclops is more popular than Captain even in the Marvel board? The other thread points to that "Who is the best President" poll that originated in the Marvel section and Cyclops won that.

Quote Originally Posted by Matternativ View Post
    Like him or not: Cap's entire deal is to be an inspiring Leader and Icon. Cyclops is not.
    When Steve turned evil he managed to get people to just offer him the world. Cyclops can't even unite the X-Men.

I give them comparable strategic skills in the field but overall this isn't even remotely a contest.

But judging from what the guy said who posted the original thread, this seems to be a popularity contest and nothing more anyway.
    Well, going by feats, Cyclops has a bigger ''long term vision'' toward strategy than Cap does. Cap is better on the field and on the charisma level, but as a commander, I think Cyclops edge Cap.

Astonishing Member Global Honored's Avatar

Both terrific and sometimes flawed leaders of their groups. I give slight nod to Cap (Thanos takedown, WWII sacrifice, and somehow leading the Kooky Quartet to prominence!) as Scott can be reckless at times, which makes for exciting storylines but not always the best outcome for his side.

Quote Originally Posted by Calaigah View Post
    So Captain is a better leader because he inspires people? People whose main thing is inspiring often get caught up with maintaining that image instead of doing what's necessary. I vote Cyclops because he's willing to do the right thing even if that means tarnishing his reputation and ruining his life. Even when he does right, he doesn't get credit yet he still keeps his course. Meanwhile, Captain Hydra is already being redeemed and seen as a victim. Seems many of the MU leaders are more concerned with the way they come off than actually doing the right thing (which is oftentimes the hardest thing).
    I'm not saying like it or think it's fair. Since AvX have problems with Cap but if you are in that moment where you are about to lose everything and you can not win alone or you need to convince everyone to forget their differences and fight together Steve is the ideal person for this.

Why do you think the world and the Avengers were against Scott during AvX even though the Phoenix Five were giving food, water or energy for free and ending wars?

Simple because they had the walking flag telling them that it was wrong even if it looked stupid .

This is not about being right or wrong or being good or bad is about getting people to support you or support your cause that is what defines leadership.Scott does not have and will never have Steve's charisma.

And yes Cyclops was always right and yes saved mutants and humans more times than I can count but even after SE the only one to be compared to Hitler is Scott .
    Last edited by Knives; 09-15-2017 at 08:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I think that makes him more inspiring or more popular. Doesnt really say much about his actual leadership skills, at least not directly
    No, Cap is the leader of the Marvel Universe. It's pretty much a given...if there a gathering of heroes everyone follows Cap. Think about almost every universal or major story in Marvel, when it comes leadership Cap is in charge.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

BANNED

They are both really tiny, it turns out.

Captain America is a surperior leader than a Captain America.
    He's the man that can inspire his troops.
    Cap is the man who'd sacrifice himself for his team and ideals.
    Captain America is one of the best tacticians and leaders in the Marvel Universe.
    Hell, there's a reason why people blindly follow him, as we saw in Civil War and Secret Empire.
    It's because Cap can inspire people in a way Cyclops can't.
    He's a man you can trust.
    He was selected to be the head of S.H.I.E.L.D. for. Reason.
    He wouldn't cheat on his wife.
    He wouldn't authorize a team of assassins.
    He wouldn't kill his father figure and mentor, no matter what life dealt him.
    He's the type of guy who stands up to impossible odds, such as Infinity Gauntleted Thanos.
    #CyclopsWasWrong
    IMG_0400.jpg

Astonishing Member

Cyclops because he is always right.

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    No, Cap is the leader of the Marvel Universe. It's pretty much a given...if there a gathering of heroes everyone follows Cap. Think about almost every universal or major story in Marvel, when it comes leadership Cap is in charge.
    But you arent telling me anything about his actual skills and experience. Just that people like and follow him. Thats where inspiration and popularity comes into play

Another relevant factor is that after SE the other heroes and the government seem to have done their best to clear Steve's name and explain the situation to ordinary people.

On the other hand after IvX the X-men including the young Tyke do not seem to have done anything to clear the reputation of Cyclops. Not that the idea of Cyclops being equal to Hitler made any sense at all.

This clearly shows the difference between them in relation to how people see them.

The two started in a similar way.

Two weak people with strong spirits who changed when someone saw something else in them.

Both have become representatives of an ideal and fought for it the difference is the world and the situation that each faced that made the two become different.

Cyclops is the better leader... of mutants.

The last 5 or 6 years of publication have shown us that. Steve is looked up to, and more generally followed elsewhere in the MU but for mutants, he's failed. This is essentially why AvX and IvX happened in a nutshell. Scott is the kind of leader who is willing to take aggresive action to defend mutants. Steve tries to be everything to everyone. Scott (and Jean, and later Emma & Logan) are the leaders the mutants needed to survive.

So do I think Steve is a better leader in general? Yes. When it comes to leading mutants Scott is second to none.

I say Cyclops because I feel he has to put up with more. Being a minority of sorts, being discriminated against and things like that. Captain America is viewed as a hero. Secret Empire aside, no one has a problem with cap. Scott has been viewed as less than human before and that add pressure on top of the tough job he already has. I think both are great leaders, but I give the edge to Cyclops because he has to put up with more

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    remember house of M, cap was a non factor and Cyclops lead the charge. AvX? cyclops was right, not cap

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

It depends on what your definition of a better leader is. Do you mean someone who leads by inspiring others? Better tactician? Better strategist? The combination of all of it?

I think Cap inspires people more than Cyke does, fair or not. That's because he's not a mutant (which people in the MU fear and hate), he wears the symbol of the nation which represents pride, and he is perhaps the most noble character in the MCU. That's not to say that Cyke doesn't inspire people, because he does. He just tends to inspire mutants, not everyone.

Better strategist or tactician? I would say they're both equal in that area.

So that's my take on it anyway.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor