Default How have Marvel's female solo's fared?

Over the past few years Marvel has increased it's output female lead books and given some female characters a chance at solo books. This is something that was long overdue and we got some great books out of it.

Which books do you think worked, which didn't and why?

Who do you think is next? I thinks it's that new Voyager character.

Also could someone tell me how many female solo books there have been since 2012 and how many there are currently?
    Last edited by Crimz; 09-15-2017 at 01:18 PM.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Also could someone tell me how many female solo books there have been since 2012 and how many there are currently?
    ?
    Does Marvel even know this?
    With their "stealth cancelations" in which they never say if a book actually ended or not, who knows what books may suddenly continue from where they left off without any promotion of the fact?

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Does Marvel even know this?
    With their "stealth cancelations" in which they never say if a book actually ended or not, who knows what books may suddenly continue from where they left off without any promotion of the fact?
    That's a big part of the problem, too. A lot of the books, regardless of quality, unless they're actively being promoted and emphasized in the marketing by Marvel, feel like they're out there just to check off an item from a list with no regard for what happens afterwards.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Invincible Member

Didn't we have a similar thread like a month or so ago?

Anyway...Hawkeye is one of the best comics from Marvel right now. The last Black Widow book was criminally over looked. So was Spiderwoman. It's funny how some people are threatened by Riri Williams. While I like the character, America is a bad comic.

What ever happened to Joe Casey's indie version or America? I wonder if he got a call from Marvel's lawyers...

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

For critical success, Ms. Marvel has been loved since it's started, Moon Girl has been great for its target audience (it's a relatable and inspiring character, particularly for young girls of color but also for young people in general), and Waid and Samnee's Black Widow had a ton of praise.

For sales, the first two apparently do well outside the direct market, but the only clear winner for female Marvel characters is Thor who has held her own with male Thor books and is definitely a popular character in her own right with a uniquely compelling story.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

In recent years I have liked
    Mockingbird
    Spiderwoman
    Jessica Jones

Hawkeye has been more hot than cold but not always.

I liked what I have sampled with Ms. Marvel.

I have longed for a Sue Storm solo but I doubt it will ever happen.

I'm reading Squirrel Girl, Hulk, Jessica Jones in singles and trade reading Hawkeye and Mockingbird. All five are good reads and show that the variety of female characters Marvel offers is incredible. I could pick on Hulk being a little slow, but that's literally me looking for something to complain about. It's fine and dandy to be all for women characters, but if you're really just looking for a certain type and flavor of story, there's a Marvel heroine who's there and doing it.

Hawkeye and Mockingbird are mainstream heroine. There's more humor than one finds in most action adventure series, but for someone like me who's read thousands of these things, the jokes are there and why not go tongue-in-cheek. It's also not like Kate and Bobbi are comedies. I'm guessing Black Widow and Elektra would be more serious adventure if that's what you want. I'm only trade-waiting becasue i didn't get in on the ground floor and I'm kicking myse;lf about it.

Squirrel Girl is a brilliant piece of work by North and Henderson. It's good natured and is a fine book for young kids to get into. The book oozes morality and humor. It embraces the jokes many of us make about comics and tells us they lnow it, just trust us and go with it. Many jokes are for the long-term, knowledgeable fan. Read this book. It's the best regular series I've seen from Marvel in a long time.

Now, if serious, adult storues are your thing, Hulk and Jessica Jones are your books. Hulk deals with PTSD and recovery. It's about a woman's fear at a major part of her life that she had enjoyed, but is now out of her control. Jessica Jones is similar to what Alias originally was. It's more tied in to the Marvel Univers than Alias was, but it still tells its own stories in its own style. It's dark, but not a lost cause. It's people dealing with superhero issues in a normal manner.

I enjoy/love: Spider-Gwen, Ms Marvel, Gwenpool, and Squirrel Girl of Marvel's current comics solo female lineup.
    I like: Thor

Gone now but I loved as well: Silk and Spider-Woman.

Quote Originally Posted by pageturner View Post

I have longed for a Sue Storm solo but I doubt it will ever happen.

There is an issue I think you might enjoy: S.H.I.E.L.D. Vol. 3 issue 4 http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/S.H.I.E.L.D._Vol_3_4

Incredible Member steeplejack2112's Avatar

I'm really enjoying the Hulk. I've always loved Jen, and this is a very different look at her character.

Mighty Captain Marvel....it's okay. I read it more for the fact that it features a few members of Alpha Flight, but it's not a terrible book.

Mighty Thor....also okay. I'm interested in seeing where they take Jane.

I don't read many other female solos. I really miss Spider-Woman. That book was fun, and it had a feel good vibe going for it.

In terms of sales I think it's Thor -> Wolverine -> Ironheart -> Captain Marvel.

I think Marvel is a behind DC in terms of creating successful female books without relying on legacy. DCs most successful female solos are Wonder Woman and Harley Quinn. Both characters have a successful solo and manage to to lead successful team books.

Quote Originally Posted by lucius121 View Post
    . . . I think Marvel is a behind DC in terms of creating successful female books without relying on legacy. DCs most successful female solos are Wonder Woman and Harley Quinn. Both characters have a successful solo and manage to lead successful team books.
    Harley isn't completely free of "legacy" ties. She began life as Joker's girlfriend (of sorts) on Batman: The Animated Series, so she had the Bat-ties (and Joker-ties) to get her where she is now.