Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best Post-Venom/Carnage Villains

It's pretty widely accepted that Hobgoblin, Venom and Carnage are the only 3 villains to rival the Lee/Ditko/Romita classic rogues but, seeing that we are about a quarter century past Carnage's intro the question becomes: who among the new villains introduced since then are worthy of at least consideration as a classic villain?

For me, I can only come up with Morlun, Mr Negative and maybe Fusion (from Jenkin's run) though he hasn't been used since then for some odd reason.

I know that it is a rarity for a 55-year old series to introduce popular new characters this late in the game but what do you guys think? Have there been many/any since Venom and Carnage that are worthy??

I don't really understand why it is so hard to introduce compelling new villains, but I don't think anyone since Venom and Carnage holds up. I guess part of the problem is that new writers and new adaptations want to cover the classics, so newer villains become a secondary concern.

I thought Shathra had a lot more potential than Morlun ever did, but it was never realized.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaegrin View Post
    I don't really understand why it is so hard to introduce compelling new villains, but I don't think anyone since Venom and Carnage holds up. I guess part of the problem is that new writers and new adaptations want to cover the classics, so newer villains become a secondary concern.
    I often wonder the same thing but I think it comes down to 2 main reasons: 1) the best concepts for a villain to match up well against the hero in question have already been realized and 2) once a writer introduces a new villain, he uses that character until he leaves the book and then the next writer tries to push his/her new character and so on down the line. Rarely does an incoming writer pick up on a villain his predecessor came up with these days; he/she is more interested in bringing their own ideas in.

I think Mr. Negative is a really good one, especially since he is a good street level villain, which is Spidey's niche. But other than him, meh...

I hate Morlun. He is WAY too overpowered to be a Spidey villain. I hated that Slott brought him back and gave him such a huge role. Actually, I wouldn't have been surprised if Morlun had never been used again if Slott hadn't brought him back.

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    I often wonder the same thing but I think it comes down to 2 main reasons: 1) the best concepts for a villain to match up well against the hero in question have already been realized and 2) once a writer introduces a new villain, he uses that character until he leaves the book and then the next writer tries to push his/her new character and so on down the line. Rarely does an incoming writer pick up on a villain his predecessor came up with these days; he/she is more interested in bringing their own ideas in.
    Good point. If I'm a new writer, my highest priorities are either to introduce my own original villain, or to make my mark on an interpretation of a classic villain.

iMan 42s

I'll say that Morlun is definitely one of the better villains added to Spider-man's rogues gallery but his issues mostly stem from Spiderverse being that his family isn't all that interesting (abilities, and visuals) and the overall function of Morlun is not really thought out. Morlun on his own is at his most threatening, and for a villain like that who filled that villain niche of being able to find the hero anywhere is a credible threat. Morlun being overpowered also comes from what exactly Peter needed in-order to defeat him which makes things all the harder when he doesn't have a ready source of radiation (or enough in his own blood) / the Other to assist him. Too bad Spiderverse pretty much threw that to the wall.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

A Green Unpleasant Man Rob London's Avatar

I think Overdrive is pretty great. Excellent gimmick that makes for visually interesting stories, and an amusing personality.

I like Clash a lot, too. He's definitely the most successful of the "evil Peter Parkers" we've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob London View Post
    I like Clash a lot, too. He's definitely the most successful of the "evil Peter Parkers" we've seen.
    Yeah, Clash is actually pretty decent. I think we'll continue to see different writers use him in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    It's pretty widely accepted that Hobgoblin, Venom and Carnage are the only 3 villains to rival the Lee/Ditko/Romita classic rogues but, seeing that we are about a quarter century past Carnage's intro the question becomes: who among the new villains introduced since then are worthy of at least consideration as a classic villain?

For me, I can only come up with Morlun, Mr Negative and maybe Fusion (from Jenkin's run) though he hasn't been used since then for some odd reason.

I know that it is a rarity for a 55-year old series to introduce popular new characters this late in the game but what do you guys think? Have there been many/any since Venom and Carnage that are worthy??
    None of them, honestly.

Maybe Kaine, though he's technically not a villain anymore.

I think Mr. Negative is the one with the most potential but the comics kind of squandered him around Big Time.

I think the upcoming PS4 game is going to do more for Negative then the comics have in years.

Paper Doll was pretty creepy. The character (imo) has potential, even if it she seemed rather one note in her first appearance (I think she also returned briefly in a back up story? Maybe I'm miss remembering things.)
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Well I think Menace could be developed into something. Yet another goblin, I know, but personally I would prefer no more of Norman and so she could be a suitable substitute.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Well I think Menace could be developed into something. Yet another goblin, I know, but personally I would prefer no more of Norman and so she could be a suitable substitute.
    Too many goblins. Time for some orcs, or trolls. Ogres? Maybe some ettins or kobolds.

Astonishing Member

Mister Negative and Overdrive.