Page 1 of 73 123451151 ... LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Default Star Trek: Discovery

The news that CBS has embargoed any reviews until after it's aired is not exactly a sign of confidence. I really wanted to have a good Trek show to watch again, but it looks like this one is already dead in the water.

I'm planning on watching it with a friend who has his mom's CBS all access account. Otherwise I wouldn't care.
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

Astonishing Member

I am a huge Trekkie and will probably get All-Access for it. But no. Not excited at all.

Can't say i'm very excited. I'm going to give it a fair try though.

Ultimate Member

It looks like it's an entirely different reality and off in its own little world so no I'm not really excited at all for it...

BANNED

Michelle Yeoh is in it. I'm sold.

BANNED

Can't support it at all. Everything from the Klingons not being anything like actual Klingons to the "new" technology to it being a prequel only attempting to appeal to Kelvin or TOS fans turns me off so much. All the fans want to see is something post-Nemesis. Like, that's literally ALL we want. Stop trying to do prequels or tell stories to try and appeal to nostalgia or whatever. Nobody cares anymore. Just please do something in the present day of the Prime Timeline. But they don't want to listen to the fans at all, which is why we have this crap.

BANNED

What is the present day of the timeline?

It should be around the return of Voyager no? Nothing new since then.

edit : wait, forgot about nemesis.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    It should be around the return of Voyager no? Nothing new since then.

edit : wait, forgot about nemesis.
    In that case, who even gives a crap about the present day of the Prime Timeline? I don't feel anything is lost by just letting it die.

BANNED

The last new thing with the present timeline was Countdown, which wasn't too shabby. Could have easily made a new audio or animated movie.

BANNED

The reason to keep going backward instead of forward in the timeline is so that the general audience doesn't get put off having to know too much about Star Trek history. You do something Trek post-Nemesis and there is bound to be a perception - whether based in reality or not - that you have to understand the movies, Voyagers, DS9, TNG, TOS, Enterprise....all of it. Turns some people away without giving it a chance (and there's a good chance justifiably so).

Where I think they fail is not in going backwards, but in twisting the universe around so that going backwards and introducing new stuff is somehow in the same continuity as the later (in timeline) stuff, even though it supplants most or all of what we knew and just references the pop culture points. Vulcan, Starfleet, and a handful of other things that most people today have heard of but aren't familiar with.

I'm hesitant to say Discovery doesn't have a prayer. It looks over-visualized and confusing to me, and doesn't offer me a compelling reason to watch it. But it might be good. However, it would seem to me that in this case CBS must - [I]must -[I] be counting on a substantial fan base getting behind the series immediately and letting word spread from there, by virtue of the fact that it's intended to be the successful launch of a pay service.

The actual result? Remains to be seen, but I wouldn't be surprised if high ranking people are fired over this.

No.

Not even remotely excited for STD

I can wait for the reviews to either savage it or hail it as a triumph of the will. Rotten Tomatoes will be my guide.

I'm curious. I'm not excited, but interested to see what it is. I'd like it to be good, but the embargo isn't a good sign.

Interested, but not thrilled.

I'd like to see a Trek series go back even farther, to the time of James Cochran. The earth exhibited in First Contact might make for some good stories, and less chance of crating technological paradoxes.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.