Page 48 of 73 FirstFirst ... 3844454647484950515258 ... LastLast

Just saw the first episode of the season three. I guess Kurtzman just said it "Screw it, I'm not a Star Trek fan and I'm not good at making Star Trek. I'm a Star Wars fan so I'm going to do that instead!"

And you know what? That was a very fun imitation of Star Wars, they even tossed in a Han Solo character with a Firefly character's name!

Much better than the MCU finale of season two when Burnham became Iron Man.

Then at the end of the episode it becomes Andromeda, and it's a really good Andromeda imitation! I know Burnham has to find Discovery again but it would be better for the show if Discovery was never seen again and it's just Burnham building a new crew. Ok, ok Saru and Tilly can stay but everyone else in can be sacrificed.

Unfortunately that isn't going to happen and this thing is going to attempt to be Star Trek again and...sigh.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I thought the first episode was pretty solid, the future tech seemed advanced enough to set it apart from Discovery and I loved Grudge the cat.
    Yeah, it's sufficient enough for me. My fear stems from whenever Capt. Ransom would show up on Voyager -- he's from the 30th century but was using essentially phasers and LCARS of a different color. (with that said, I see projectile energy weapons are still a thing, and proving that even in the far future, henchmen are still incredibly terrible shots)

Okay, having just seen it, some thoughts:

- I suppose the show needs to get at least one more Burnham-centric episode out of its system. The premise is fine but if you thought the show was too Burnham-heavy before, well...

- With that said, I waited all episode to see Discovery pop through, just because I find everyone else on the crew so much more interesting since they haven't been nearly as fleshed out as Burnham

- Though loopy Burnham was cute as heck. And Book is very, very easy on the eyes.

- Calling it now: "The Burn" will come from Burnham herself

- I really hope that once we get the Burnham/Discovery reunion, that the crew doesn't devolve into a "You single-handedly saved all of us and we're ultimately useless without you" trope a la Goku, Sailor Moon, Superman, or Optimus Prime.

- Ranking season premieres: Season 2, then 3, then 1. But boy howdy, this show really loves to try to force its feel-good moments and they feel unearned (e.g. starting the episode with "lifeforms detected" celebration -- I know earlier it was great to see Burnham's joy, but even with the trauma of isolation and saving the galaxy, it somehow still felt exaggerated.)

- I'll never get over that cartoony sound effect of that bug chomping down on the butterfly, as if it was Scooby and Shaggy finding a sandwich

- Sahil listening to Mozart only worsens the trope of Star Trek not having any real culture (pop or classical) past the 20th century.

- We saw the Temporal Wars during the first episode of Season 4 in Enterprise, so that's a nice shout out. Yes, S3 was about the Temporal Cold War, but S4 showed full-fledged war (hence Daniels in his terrible state)

- Other small references include not just quantum slipstream, but other materials brought up in Voyager to try to exceed warp

- I'm glad we got to see old standards like Orions, Androians, and Morn's people, and yet we got to see new life (the giant worms) and new civilizations (Book & his druid magic). But that Orion was definitely meant to be Green Patrick Warburton
    Last edited by Cyke; 10-16-2020 at 12:09 PM.

Mighty Member

Solid start, looking forward to the next episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Okay, having just seen it, some thoughts:

- I suppose the show needs to get at least one more Burnham-centric episode out of its system. The premise is fine but if you thought the show was too Burnham-heavy before, well...

- With that said, I waited all episode to see Discovery pop through, just because I find everyone else on the crew so much more interesting since they haven't been nearly as fleshed out as Burnham.
    That's, why I don't miss them at all. They had two whole seasons to do something with them and they never did. The only people They need from the ship is Tilly and Saru. They should have taken a page from Andromeda's book and sacrificed the rest of the crew and then have Burnham start over with just Tilly and Saru and then fill the ship up with new characters.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 10-17-2020 at 08:31 AM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    That's, why I don't miss them at all. They had two whole seasons to do something with them and they never did. The only people They need from the ship is Tilly and Saru. They should have taken a page from Andromeda's book and sacrificed the rest of the crew and then have Burnham start over with just Tilly and Saru and then fill the ship up with new characters.
    It looks like they'll be cribbing enough from Andromeda as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    It looks like they'll be cribbing enough from Andromeda as it is.
    Ok, so it's either too much like Andromeda or not enough like Andromeda. Gotcha.

I'm just gonna go now and leave you two alone at the romantic, candle-lit dinner table.

Mighty Member

Nope. I adore Saru. He's the only character I legitimately love. But no Detmer and Owo no watch.

I'm fine with episodes devoted to a single character. Particularly like this premiere where they are introducing so much of the setting at the same time. But the strongest part of Discovery is the part it has used the most poorly: it's extended cast.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Nope. I adore Saru. He's the only character I legitimately love. But no Detmer and Owo no watch.

I'm fine with episodes devoted to a single character. Particularly like this premiere where they are introducing so much of the setting at the same time. But the strongest part of Discovery is the part it has used the most poorly: it's extended cast.
    Detmer and Owo? You mean Thing Over Left Eye Chick and Awesome Hair? I think we can replicate those characteristics with new characters

We are three seasons in, and those are the first things that came to mind when you mentioned them. I think Owo may have grown up on a Luddite colony. I didn't check to make sure because I know that the writers will not follow up on it, so why should I. I don't expect them to spend time on those two characters this season either. If they do it will be a pleasant surprise.

Ultimate Member

Detmer and Owo? You mean Thing Over Left Eye Chick and Awesome Hair? I think we can replicate those characteristics with new characters

We are three seasons in, and those are the first things that came to mind when you mentioned them. I think Owo may have grown up on a Luddite colony. I didn't check to make sure because I know that the writers will not follow up on it, so why should I. I don't expect them to spend time on those two characters this season either. If they do it will be a pleasant surprise.
    That's a big minus for me. I'd much rather learn more about Owo and Detmer than anything at all ever about Michael Burnham.

I like Saru. The Engineer/Doctor couple are okay, if somewhat boring (other people have Luddite colony or cyborg or raised by Vulcans as 'their thing,' but apparently being gay *is* 'their thing' and 'exotic enough'). Tilly gets on my nerves, but there always has to be a Wesley / Holodoctor / whatever to get on my nerves and I accept this.

I could totally do with a few 'Lower Decks' style episodes that deal with people we don't see every episode, but considering that we still know bupkiss about people *on the bridge crew* (after three seasons!), I'm sure it's going to be a 10 episode season, eight of which are all about Burnham, with a side of Saru, Tilly, Stamets, evil Georgiou, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    That's a big minus for me. I'd much rather learn more about Owo and Detmer than anything at all ever about Michael Burnham.
    It would have made perfect sense to have Owo and Detmer left behind at the end of season two and then shuffled off to Pike's crew. Pike has plenty of room on the Enterprise! Why not move Detmer and Owo to the bridge of the Enterprise? Since Enterprise is going to be a more traditional Trek show they would have a much better chance to shine there.

Boisterously Confused

It would have made perfect sense to have Owo and Detmer left behind at the end of season two and then shuffled off to Pike's crew. Pike has plenty of room on the Enterprise! Why not move Detmer and Owo to the bridge of the Enterprise? Since Enterprise is going to be a more traditional Trek show they would have a much better chance to shine there.
    That's actually a rather good idea. We haven't seen anybody but The Senior Three of the Enterprise, although I understand that Boyce has been cast.

ZeroBG82 I owe you CBR points. They actually focused on Detmer! She got to do stuff! and has become the focus of an ongoing storyline!

ZeroBG82 I owe you CBR points. They actually focused on Detmer! She got to do stuff! and has become the focus of an ongoing storyline!
    Sadly I think that the evil AI has gone into her cybernetic eye.
    Good episode I enjoyed it more than episode one, also I don't think that's the last we see of the 'space bandit' with the long hair. People figure out that these lost travelers, are time travelers very easy it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowras View Post
    Good episode I enjoyed it more than episode one, also I don't think that's the last we see of the 'space bandit' with the long hair. People figure out that these lost travelers, are time travelers very easy it seems.
    Yeah, it's happening so frequently that it's almost satire. It'd be creative if Discovery actually leaned into it and became a running joke, especially since they already mentioned the Temporal Wars from Enterprise. Despite their best efforts, culture and society has simply advanced to the point where time travel is just not that fantastic anymore. They have the perfect set up for it already, and it'd be a clever use of Trek mythology.

If it's not intentional, though, and everyone just happens to easily call them out as time-travellers, then that's pretty lazy for the sake of plot convenience so that the stakes escalate every episode.

Anyway, I thought last week's episode was okay and fairly strong, but this episode was much better. I'm just so much more invested in the supporting cast, personally, and I hope more cast get their time to shine. I like Burnham as a main protagonist, spoilers:
    but I really wish she didn't find them so soon, so that they can have more time in the spotlight. At least another episode, or even half-episode, focusing on them and away from Burnham would have been good.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Cyke; 10-24-2020 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowras View Post
    I wouldn't mind seeing the character return. The only downside to this episode was Burnham at the end. Burnham is good when teamed with outer space Newt Scamander. The crew is good without Burnham. The second they connected again the show felt...off.