Page 75 of 76 FirstFirst ... 2565717273747576 LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,125 of 1133

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Caught up.

You guys actually like Raynor??

The man is an asshat. He feels like a Jellico clone.

He's fun to hate but how is he a better Captain?
    I think it’s principally because he’s the only one not constantly emotionally validating Burnham or telling her how right and amazing she is.
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!

As a self-proclaimed Discovery hater, I watched the first two episodes of this season and while it didn't make me want to watch the rest of the season, they were fine. I will probably check out the finale out of curiosity. I'll give the show credit for once with not altering past designs and going with what was canon.

it still annoys me Oded Fehr, David Cronenberg, & Callum Keith Rennie are all on a Star Trek show and it's the one I dislike.

Edit: the actor playing "Fred" did a nice Data impression. He really got the facial expressions Brent Does as Data and Lore down well.

Caught up.

You guys actually like Raynor??
    Yep, not just us. Been to various Trek boards and mostly everyone likes him.

The man is an asshat. He feels like a Jellico clone.
    The reason why is because he comes off as the adult in the room. Saru also has this trait.

He's fun to hate but how is he a better Captain?
    Well, he did show up right after Michael left Owosekun (My favorite bridge officer which is hilarious because this show gives is us no reason to care about the bridge crew, chalk it up to the charisma if the actress)and Rys stranded in a forcefield on a derelict ship and only told Saru about it after the ship exploded. Then had the audacity to lecture Raynor about putting lives in danger. That might have something to do with it.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 04-16-2024 at 11:36 PM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Today's (pretty good IMO) semi-bottle episode in a nutshell:

Last edited by ChrisIII; 04-18-2024 at 11:15 AM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Exciter View Post
    I think it’s principally because he’s the only one not constantly emotionally validating Burnham or telling her how right and amazing she is.
    I understand the validation part and agree but ... He's not really endearingly disagreeing.

He's not a bad character just not likable IMHO.

I.e. Commodus in Gladiator is a great character/villain but not likeable. I enjoyed the performance and rooting for his eventual downfall but never liked him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    The reason why is because he comes off as the adult in the room. Saru also has this trait.
    Strong disagree on that. He pitched a fit with the Admiral, had a tantrum with Startfleet, and during the interviews with crew for starters. Also went full manbaby with the mission directive about who was in charge, amongst other examples of lack of leadership skills.

He contrasts Michael's doe-eyed "Starfleet is perfection" this season as the grizzled war vet but being the only adult in room ... He's had the most hissy fits on the show this season. A bit of a stretch.

Good character, fun to hate IMHO, but it was done better with Jellico and more recently Shaw in terms of story impact.

I think we know how it will end for Raynor on this as this has been Michael's show.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Too bad there wasn't a Lorca cameo, guess Jason Isaacs wasn't available.

Or they're saving it for next episode, "Mirrors" (which seems to be the episode with the constitution class which might be from the Mirror Universe/Defiant?) although with the missing prime Lorca.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Too bad there wasn't a Lorca cameo, guess Jason Isaacs wasn't available.

Or they're saving it for next episode, "Mirrors" (which seems to be the episode with the constitution class which might be from the Mirror Universe/Defiant?) although with the missing prime Lorca.
    I would like to see prime Lorca show up sometime but something tells me if he ever does, it'll be in the movie.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Watched the newest episode. It was fine I thought VOY's Shattered and Prodigy's Time Amok were better. I like Rayner and give the show props for allowing to show Burnham as the unlikable pain in the ass she was in season 1.

There's a bit of "All good things" in there as well I feel.

For a minute I thought the future glipsed was the one seen in "Calypso" but it was a red herring I guess, instead an alternate future.

The concept of a time-warping bug kind of reminded me of Doctor Who's "Turn Left" a bit. Except that thing was much larger.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 04-19-2024 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Watched the newest episode. It was fine I thought VOY's Shattered and Prodigy's Time Amok were better. I like Rayner and give the show props for allowing to show Burnham as the unlikable pain in the ass she was in season 1.
    Just season 1? I like how the show really wants me to side with Michael over Raynor but just ends up making me like Raynor more. In order for these scenes to work I have to completely erase everything I know about Michael from the last four seasons.

It's crazy how Discovery took an actress like Sonequa Martin-Green and failed to utilize her. I have never seen such a wide gap between a charismatic fun actress and the role they have her playing. If Green wasn't in the role I would have quit watching by now.

I'm also amazed at how two people are managing to give the entire Federation this much trouble and how Tig Notaro keeps stealing paychecks by showing up and doing no acting whatsoever.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 04-21-2024 at 09:20 AM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Just season 1? I like how the show really wants me to side with Michael over Raynor but just ends up making me like Raynor more. In order for these scenes to work I have to completely erase everything I know about Michael from the last four seasons.

It's crazy how Discovery took an actress like Sonequa Martin-Green and failed to utilize her. I have never seen such a wide gap between a charismatic fun actress and the role they have her playing. If Green wasn't in the role I would have quit watching by now.

I'm also amazed at how two people are managing to give the entire Federation this much trouble and how Tig Notaro keeps stealing paychecks by showing up and doing no acting whatsoever.
    I only watched Season 1 and 2 and gave up. No clips I saw from seasons 3 or 4 made me interested to watch, but I have watched 3 out of 4 of the episodes from this final season out of curiosity and have found the show "better" I still wouldn't call it good but it's not the shitshow I thought the 1st 2 seasons were and Michael has seemed to more likeable than she was in the 1st 2 seasons. Again, her likeability like the improvement to the show were very low bars to pass IMO.

The most fun episode of DSC in a while for me. I'll actually rewatch it, and I don't rewatch DSC episodes.

Quick notes...
    >Notes were clearly taken from TNG's 'All Good Things' and VOY's 'Worst Case Scenario' 'Relativity', and 'Shattered'.
    >I *really* hope we see a fleet shot of all the alpha quadrant ships (or all the major Milky Way powers) a la 'The Chase', most likely fighting around the Progenitors' homeworld in the finale. The Breen need to be reminded to chill. (See what I did there? :P )

>Photonic fleas. Time bugs. Oh my!
    >I forgot how much I hated the 23rd C warp effect.
    >Feelings help win the day but so could scanning for temporal displacement, chroniton particles, or magic pixie dust!
    >Airiam was heartbreaking.
    >You come out of the time loop knowing you've lost precious... er... time on the galaxy-saving quest and you spend 2 minutes talking about feelings? You rush out onto the bridge, assess the situation, then have that talk right before the credits. While DSC remains far too emotional, it's the placement of the emotional scenes which truly make no sense.

Michael, girl... Your hair back then was busted. At least Linus has a compliment for present you. I smiled. More Linus. Less Tilly.
    vlcsnap-2024-04-24-19h26m35s963.jpg
    Last edited by nx01a; 04-24-2024 at 06:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

So today's episode might make some wonder why the ISS went back the Pike-style configurations after Mirror, Mirror.

Real world answer of course is they had the SNW sets and CGI models handy, less costly than making some TOS style sets and especially the movie-style ones (The originals which of course are long-gone I think).

Well...That was an episode of a show. Anyone hoping for some casualties? This is the final season and it's not like anyone really cares about the bridge crew. It's the least the show can do.

Somehow I have the feeling that the Mirror Refugees subplot (including some joining starfleet) might wind up being important in the Section 31 movie.

Funny thing looking it up the Enterprise in Mirror Mirror actually uses the Cage footage for the Exterior (Which differs from Kirk's TOS version in a few ways-mainly the nacelles) so you can kind of reason it got the SNW upgrade later on. Doesn't quite explain why it had the Kirk style interiors in Mirror Mirror but meh, it kind of works.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 04-26-2024 at 05:24 AM.