Page 59 of 73 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Just saw the trailer for the New season.

Sigh. Apparently the universe is in danger again and only our brave crew can....blah blah blah. If the stakes are always this sky high it just produces a numbing effect in me. It's like the strategy is to keep throwing 'splosions and phaser shootouts and faux inspirational stuff pulled from the nearest cubicle poster at us so we don't have time to think that none of this makes sense. It's turned into a big budget action spectacle with the crew we have all come to know and love. Oh wait a second..Attachment 114709
    This picture definitely describes my experience. I can't name one person from that photo.

I watched all of Season 1 (I watch episodes here and there from other seasons) but the only four characters I can remember are Michael (she's force fed to the audience), Lorca (He carried 85% of the show for me), Saru (For what he had to work with, good acting performance) and Michelle Yeoh (Huge fan of her but this show she's forgettable)

I want to get back into Star Trek again, I really do, but none of this new content is appealing to me. Discovery is the same formula which I can't stand

- Michael is front and center. Force fed and anything she does is over the top drama (I dislike her character the most)
    - Most of the cast is forgettable
    - Same plot, save the universe
    - Far too emotional
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 10-15-2021 at 01:27 PM.

Ultimate Member

I think they need to expand on the other cast members and tone down Michael's overly emotional reaction to every single thing. It's why season 3 was better.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Just saw the trailer for the New season.

Sigh. Apparently the universe is in danger again and only our brave crew can....blah blah blah. If the stakes are always this sky high it just produces a numbing effect in me. It's like the strategy is to keep throwing 'splosions and phaser shootouts and faux inspirational stuff pulled from the nearest cubicle poster at us so we don't have time to think that none of this makes sense. It's turned into a big budget action spectacle with the crew we have all come to know and love. Oh wait a second..Attachment 114709
    I've only just started Season 2 but the pic is correct. I only know Kayla Detmer.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Here's my question to those Disco haters?
    What do you THINK that photo/question proves?

Does it confirm your bias that the show is really bad? Cause it's not.

I've forgotten nearly all characters from SG-1, Babylon 5 and Andromeda sans a few as well. You know why....watched them once. JUST. LIKE. DISCOVERY (so far).
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Ultimate Member

I can't speak to those shows but Discovery has a problem with expanding on side characters

So I was also thinking on this and I can relate to the meme. Discovery's "problem" with those other characters is that we see them consistently, and in key positions, but the series doesn't have enough time to develop them. It doesn't have 20+ episodes and it doesn't have standalone episodes.

We need a stand alone episode highlighting the lesser bridge crew's daily lives and/or them having to save the day when Michael isn't crying or Tilly isn't forced into command or just where everyone with their names in the credits is sidelined for plot reasons.

And yes, if the minor yet consistently seen character is well developed and/or does cool things, I remember their name.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post

I've forgotten nearly all characters from SG-1, Babylon 5 and Andromeda sans a few as well. You know why....watched them once. JUST. LIKE. DISCOVERY (so far).
    This is some laughably bad weak bait. Lol.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    We need a stand alone episode highlighting the lesser bridge crew's daily lives and/or them having to save the day when Michael isn't crying or Tilly isn't forced into command or just where everyone with their names in the credits is sidelined for plot reasons.

And yes, if the minor yet consistently seen character is well developed and/or does cool things, I remember their name.
    Agreed!!!!!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    I can't speak to those shows but Discovery has a problem with expanding on side characters
    Indeed!!!!!!

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Besouro View Post
    This is some laughably bad weak bait. Lol.
    Explain your interpretation.

It's an explanation.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Discovery could definitely do a better job at developing the supporting cast, and yeah that scene with the bridge crew looking all happy like we're supposed to care is symptomatic of that fault...but it's not that egregious of a fault as many shows and books with large supporting casts often struggle with it. That The Next Generation did such a great job at developing its supporting cast isn't a damning note for those that don't but rather it's more the exception.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Discovery could definitely do a better job at developing the supporting cast, and yeah that scene with the bridge crew looking all happy like we're supposed to care is symptomatic of that fault...but it's not that egregious of a fault as many shows and books with large supporting casts often struggle with it. That The Next Generation did such a great job at developing its supporting cast isn't a damning note for those that don't but rather it's more the exception.
    Imagine that Miles and Ro Laren were so well developed that they were going to become the series regulars of DS9... but Forbes declined. Look at every minor character on DS9! We know more about Leeta than we do about Joann, and has Michael serving with Detmer for years and during the mutiny ever been brought up as a plot point?
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post

I've also watched Babylon 5 and Andromeda once, and I remember various secondary characters names (Londo Molari, G'Kar, Delenn, Susan Ivanova, John Sheridan, Vir Coto, Kosh, Garibaldi, Zach, Talia Winters, Lyta Alexander, Marcus, etc. without bothering to check the Google. And who can forget the amazingly bad names from Andromeda? Trance Gemini? Tyr Anasazi? Oh my. It's like drunken mad libs. Never watched SG1, though.) And I had 15% of my brain removed since then, because of a tumor. So maybe your memory issue isn't particularly proof of anything?

Of the Discovery bridge crew, I know Detmer and Owo's names, but not even that much about the others. Do they even have names? Heck, on other shows, we'd get to see occasionally what lower-decker types were up to, like O'Brian, on Next Generation (some folks that wouldn't ever have a reason to be on the bridge!)

I think Linus, the lizard dude with the big eyes, has gotten more speaking lines than half those people on the poster.

Linus was one of the highlights of s2 and s3! The actor's exaggerated body language is perfect.
    From the flu to the personal transporter!