Page 46 of 73 FirstFirst ... 3642434445464748495056 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post
    Meh. The trailer isn't available in my country...

It's available in mine, and it's still meh. Go watch the Picard one instead.

In all seriousness... It will be interesting to see a future where the Federation is effectively gone. Thank the Prophets that Michael is there to start it again all Andromeda-style!
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post

In all seriousness... It will be interesting to see a future where the Federation is effectively gone. Thank the Prophets that Michael is there to start it again all Andromeda-style!
    Looks pretty good to me, and I definitely saw it picking up the threads of Andromeda as that started out as a follow up to Trek.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Looks pretty good to me, and I definitely saw it picking up the threads of Andromeda as that started out as a follow up to Trek.
    Hope that turns out better then it sounds.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Andromeda was actually enjoyable up until the middle of season 2 when Robert Hewitt Wolfe left.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Incredible Member

It's being reported that it's being renewed for season 4

I was hoping for some news on a Pike series.
    Last edited by Styles; 01-13-2020 at 07:12 AM.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I watched season 1 and 2 and honestly over the last few weeks I didn't think it was too bad. There was some really dumb ideas like the new look for the Klingons and such but overall it was enjoyable. I really liked their versions of Pike and Spock. I think going forward into the far future will be better for the show because they won't have to worry so much about making things fit into the timeline.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

I'm not really looking forward to the time jump. Setting Discovery in the Pike-era would have been fine if they didn't feel the need to connect Michael with Spock and his family. That's where fans became upset over the continuity issues. But the time jump seems like a complete cop-out to me and drastically changes the dynamic of the show. For a show that's only 2 seasons and about 28 episodes or so in, I don't find that to be a good thing. I'll give it a chance, but I'm definitely on the fence.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I watched season 1 and 2 and honestly over the last few weeks I didn't think it was too bad. There was some really dumb ideas like the new look for the Klingons and such but overall it was enjoyable. I really liked their versions of Pike and Spock. I think going forward into the far future will be better for the show because they won't have to worry so much about making things fit into the timeline.
    Agreed.

I only checked out the show this month because I heard they're going to spin it off into a Captain Pike/Spock show. My initial reaction was "Eww." It was like all the "edgy" elements of Battlestar Galactica mixed with the faux "kewel" of JJ Abrams Trek. And the first 2-3 episodes are brutally bad. Bad writing, horrible acting. Michelle Yeoh is a favorite, but watching her character and Burnham together was like watching hung-over actors stumble through a rehearsal take of video game dialogue. Yikes.

I thought about skipping to the second series, but amongst the bad they smartly sprinkled in some historical Trek to keep you invested - Harry Mudd, Sarek, the mirror universe, etc.

The show got "good" when Mount joined the cast as Pike, Burnham's role stabilized, and the Red Angel storyline took hold. And I don't know what happened, but Burnham's acting improved to the point I think she's a surprisingly good actor, too. Maybe it was the writing in S1 - that was certainly true in the original; whenever the writing was silly, Kirk and Spock would like like bad actors.
    Last edited by Dr. Ellingham; 08-27-2020 at 11:26 AM.

Been on a Trek voyage over the summer having watched through TOS, DS9 and started Voyager a few days back. Looking forward to seeing Discovery return. I just want some more actually alien looking aliens on the crew lol.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I've had more fun watching Andromeda than I have ever had watching Discovery.

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a
    They need a Tyr Anasazi and a Trance Gemini.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 09-05-2020 at 03:11 PM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

BANNED

I'm on S1E5 or something now? This is a James Almos Battlestar Galactica bad at this point. No episode is really about anything.They think it's worth following the entire series to pick up the elements of a story.

These new Star Trek runners seem determined to show the federation and the human race as every bit as flawed as they are today. Do people really not get that the Federation is meant to be the dispassionate eyes through which we can view our own sins?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    I've had more fun watching Andromeda than I have ever had watching Discovery.

They need a Tyr Anasazi and a Trance Gemini.
    Tried it. The scavenger captain and the alien monk where the only real standout characters to me and the show never clicked with me.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremi View Post
    Been on a Trek voyage over the summer having watched through TOS, DS9 and started Voyager a few days back. Looking forward to seeing Discovery return. I just want some more actually alien looking aliens on the crew lol.
    Agreed. Saru is a highlight for me in that he's even more alien in appearance than 'let's stick some elf ears on him' or 'she's got ridges on her nose,' so that's kind of cool. I get that it's not got a movie budget, so we're not gonna see any six-limbed arthropods on the bridge every day, or other more outre fare, but just a few more alien faces would be cool, even the more 'human-looking' aliens like Betazoids or Deltans that they could get away without the major makeup required for a Bolian or Cardassian.

One thing I always wondered is why Starfleet doesn't have a strong minority presence of Ferengi and Klingon women (and it isn't a sticking point with both races accusing the Earthers of 'stealing their women' in a funny reverse of '50s-era 'Martians stealing our women!' sci-fi). Neither race seems to give their women much of a path to success, and yet, in the Federation, they'd be able to advance as far as their talents could take them, and I could see women of either race just sneaking off to somewhere they'd be more appreciated.