Page 52 of 73 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662 ... LastLast

Unification 3

Does this episode explain how Burnham and Philippa was able to sneak out with Book's ship which was parked in the HANGAR BAY on a STARSHIP last episode? No, no it does not

Hugging and crying count: Burnham and her mom cried and hugged it out. Tilly and the crew cried and hugged it out. Remember, it's not an episode of Discovery until everyone breaks down in tears and hugs it out.

Number of times this episode keeps telling us Burnham has changed, due to being on her own for ONE year and getting a new hairstyle: Lost count.

Number of bad decisions Saru made: Promoting Tilly...of all people.

Callbacks to stuff you want to forget: 'Memba Romulus go boom?! 'Memba all female space ninjas?! 'Memba that Burnham is Spock's sister?

Number of times that the episode said that Spock was awesome because Burnham was his sister?: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

What about Owo?: She no doubt silently seethed over Tilly's promotion and little by little she thinking about staging a mutiny and unlike Burnham when she does it she will succeed.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Unification 3

Does this episode explain how Burnham and Philippa was able to sneak out with Book's ship which was parked in the HANGAR BAY on a STARSHIP last episode? No, no it does not

Hugging and crying count: Burnham and her mom cried and hugged it out. Tilly and the crew cried and hugged it out. Remember, it's not an episode of Discovery until everyone breaks down in tears and hugs it out.

Number of times this episode keeps telling us Burnham has changed, due to being on her own for ONE year and getting a new hairstyle: Lost count.

Number of bad decisions Saru made: Promoting Tilly...of all people.

Callbacks to stuff you want to forget: 'Memba Romulus go boom?! 'Memba all female space ninjas?! 'Memba that Burnham is Spock's sister?

Number of times that the episode said that Spock was awesome because Burnham was his sister?: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

What about Owo?: She no doubt silently seethed over Tilly's promotion and little by little she thinking about staging a mutiny and unlike Burnham when she does it she will succeed.
    Man, you really dig hate watching.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Burnham never thought to ask what became of Vulcan nor did she think of looking into the records to see what became of the brother that she supposedly loved so much once they found Starfleet.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Astonishing Member

Burnham never thought to ask what became of Vulcan nor did she think of looking into the records to see what became of the brother that she supposedly loved so much once they found Starfleet.
    To be fair, even in the Star Trek Universe, you wouldn't assume that the status quo of your planet was that different...but yeah I would have been curious what happened to my family...

Extraordinary Member

Ha I called it. Tilly the new no.2 hope she doesn't go all Capt. Killy at some point this season. Nah I'm lyin-I really hope she does lol.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Ha I called it. Tilly the new no.2 hope she doesn't go all Capt. Killy at some point this season. Nah I'm lyin-I really hope she does lol.
    This is going to end two ways.

1. She does the job until Burnham wants it back again and she steps down again.

2. She dies and Burnham takes it back.

Extraordinary Member

This is going to end two ways.

1. She does the job until Burnham wants it back again and she steps down again.

2. She dies and Burnham takes it back.
    I can see 1 happening but not 2. But in the end Burnham doesn't really need the job.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Memories were already too painful.

TBH, I'm almost wanting Burnham to say FU to Starfleet at this point. And frankly, it's really bizarre for the Discovery crew to sincerely hook up with 30th century Starfleet. Just doing this screws up their mission.
    Last edited by MyriVerse; 11-28-2020 at 02:11 PM.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Astonishing Member

It isn't like she didn't have things to do once she got to Starfleet. She almost immediately had to go save Book, then the consequences of that and the Burn/black box. Getting demoted. I mean she knows her brother and family are long dead, just because she didn't have free time to go look at his Memoirs doesnt mean its a plot hole.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Not really sure it needs explanation. It's a smuggler ship that has a great cloak.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Why didn't Burnham look into the fate of Vulcan sooner? Because the writers felt that story was better told now rather than in the first episode. It seems pretty simple to me and it doesn't make it a legitimately, objective flaw in the series.

Incredible Member

Unification 3
    Does the second in command of a starship have to sneak anywhere or explain orders to anyone? We're taking this ship. Okay.
    Sounds perfect.

I didn't comment last week, but I'm still amazed at the physical resemblance between Burnham and her mom. Great job, casting department!

On to this week:

- Stamets and Adira having a gender pronoun discussion was nice and the progression from she to they was pretty timely with the big news about Elliot Page.

- less fun -- Stamets voluntelling Adira to work on the algorithms. Weird.

- Culber gets the CMO to help with Georgiou. Which kinda seems like it should be the other way around (we're back to my weekly "Make Culber the CMO Already" rant)

- Yay at seeing Book and especially Detmer getting fleshed out!

- This is like the third episode in a row where we're told of Discovery's upgrades and yet we still haven't seen those upgrades in action beyond what the ship normally does. There's no showcase. I get that Discovery's hands were tied this time around, but a battle would be the most straight forward way of showing those upgrades. Maybe the show is saving that for the finale?

- speaking of which, though, Detmer vs. the Veridian has some of the best space battle choreography of the show. Frakes has come a long way since the brilliant but painfully brief space battle of First Contact

- Additionally, rather than rapid cuts and BSG-style zooms, we had some prolonged cuts of Book's ship in action, something La Sirena desperately needed in Picard.

- ah yes, Planet Canada again

- Tilly's solution to have Detmer attack with Book's ship sounds clever, but the Admiral isn't going to buy it with Michael's own record of insubordination and Saru continually insisting the crew can do its thing if it were allowed to do so -- the crew were kept intact by the slimmest of margins

- with that said, I'm also glad that Tilly's plan, while necessary in the short run, further increased hostilities with the Emerald Chain. Sometimes these gambits shouldn't work in Trek, and on a serialized show like this, it's good to show conquences of clever plans going wrong.

- Lastly, if I were Culber, I'd be super cautious of Georgiou, considering that it's matching up a killer with someone who's already been killed.

Next week's preview: Holy crap, a TNG S1-S2 uniform!

Tilly isn't the new Number one so much as she is Saru's new personal secretary. I guess we know why everyone was cool with her getting the job. I mean, one of her jobs is to come up with a new catch phrase (how META!) can you imagine Burnham wasting time on something like that? No, no you cannot.

Linus continues to serve as comic relief character that was created to get some Orville like comedy on the show.

The Andorians antennae should have grown back by now, maybe they were burned off and that is why? But in order for that theory to work the Discovery writers would have to know that Andorian antennae do grow back.

The villain was as mustache-twirlingly evil as she was ineffective. Taken out by one ship! Speaking of which.....

"This is how I learned to fly!" Was it really Detmer? Given the age you were born in there was never a time you flew without computer assistance. This was the writers just wanting some Star Wars peanut butter in the Trek chocolate. If they could have gotten away with someone telling her to use the force they would have. What's next, is Detmer going to talk about the time she bullseyed womprats in her T-16

Book and his brother broke down and cried and hugged it out after making the floating
    jellyfish from the movie Avatar go away. Remember it's not an episode of Discovery until someone cries and hugs it out.

What about Owo? Well, she spent the entire episode telling Detmer she was going to be okay and then congratulating her. Then she hit the gym. After the gym she had a vanilla sundae and decided to take some vacation days.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Can't wrap my mind around it. I mean when I watch stuff I think is bad (Superfriends, 70s Blaxploitation movies, etc.) it's because I find those things amusing. But to purposefully watch something you aren't enjoying...
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store