Page 61 of 75 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571 ... LastLast

Well, I was able to watch 3 more episodes of Season 3 today.

The 5th episode where the Enterprise comes home proved interesting as they were rightfully by 30th century standards treated with suspicion and had to prove themselves. What didn't make sense was the idea that they'd be split up and put on different ships. As Captain Saru would go on to point out, no one but the crew of Discovery is better suited to crew the ship. Hated seeing them write out the security officer though.

Episode 6 with Burnham again disobeying orders had a great line with Burnham insulting Georgiou by saying the former Terran emperor has an emotional spectrum of "cranky to homicidal", that gave me a good chuckle.

And episode 7 where we find out that not only has Vulcan left the Federation but they've changed their name to Ni'var. That was a crazy thing to discover. Saru asking my girl Tilley to be his acting 1st officer was nice, but I like how she called him on his phrasing when she asked if she was being chosen because she's "compliant". The return of Burnham's mother was interesting to say the least. And I liked the way the crew told Tilley she had their backing.

Other stuff: Interesting that the Admiral and the medical staff seem to realize that something is off with Detmer but there was no follow up by Saru on this front. And what is going on with Georgiou and her ill-timed freeze ups?
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Ultimate Member

I didn't quite get the 'spliting up the crew' business either but maybe the Federation didn't trust them enough

Thing that bothered me the most is that she didn't bother to at least look up her adoptive homeworld for a year.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Thing that bothered me the most is that she didn't bother to at least look up her adoptive homeworld for a year.
    Good call. I didn't even think about that one. Maybe a trip there wasn't feasible, but she should've been able to look up something on the computers, no?
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Ultimate Member

Burnham always preaches logic but is she ever actually very logical?

Fun episode with a sad ending.
    My main issue... Doesn't Discovery have weapons or a legion of shuttles anymore?
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Mighty Member

Overall not bad. The pacing was a little weird, but I think that was probably a necessity to cover all the Saru material. Burnham actually having fun doing her job is surprisingly fun to watch. I could do without another universe threatening disaster, but at least "gravity distortion goes reckless driving" isn't as ludicrous as the last two. So far, anyway.

I like the new Madame President. She calls Burnham on her Kirk-esque s#!* and it's much needed. I hope she doesn't end up evil.

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    My main issue... Doesn't Discovery have weapons or a legion of shuttles anymore?
    Weapons: To clear debris that was METERS from the people you're trying to save? "So how did Tilly die? What, you phasered her to death trying to get her off the platform? That was silly!"

Shuttles: Would have to dock somewhere. Which the crew would then have to get to. The entire setup being that they can't get anywhere. Which means the shuttle would have to dock where the escape craft was. Which leaves you back to moving the escape craft. I'll give you this one where the second trip was concerned, though. You could have had a shuttle dock 5 seconds after they launched the escape vehicle and skipped the five minute wait for the return trip.

I liked it. It certainly felt more like Star Trek and I really appreciated the scenes, especially at the beginning where there was a problem to solve and all of our main characters got the opportunity to offer up solutions. In my opinion, if you want to do action oriented Star Trek, this is the way to do it. I thought the end was good as well in that regard. Unfortunately, much of this episode was used for set dressing, which while important for the rest of the season, it doesn't make for the most interest hour of television.

I think Burnham has done a great job settling into a Kirk-like Captain role. While I do think that she and most of the cast are too emotional at times, I think it works and if we spend more time with her as Captain (I desperately hope we don't upend things again at the end of this season), I think she'll develop her style that will be as recognizable as any of the others. While I don't want to start a fight, I sometimes wonder whether or not the reactions to her character would be different if she were a man.

Finally, it looks like we're in the midst of another thing that threatens the galaxy that our crew has to fight or science. I'm not inherently against that, I just hope that it doesn't involve someone manipulating something. I can handle this plot thread if it is 100% naturally occurring.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Weapons: To clear debris that was METERS from the people you're trying to save? "So how did Tilly die? What, you phasered her to death trying to get her off the platform? That was silly!"

Shuttles: Would have to dock somewhere. Which the crew would then have to get to. The entire setup being that they can't get anywhere. Which means the shuttle would have to dock where the escape craft was. Which leaves you back to moving the escape craft. I'll give you this one where the second trip was concerned, though. You could have had a shuttle dock 5 seconds after they launched the escape vehicle and skipped the five minute wait for the return trip.
    Weapons to blast the debris long before it got anywhere near the ship or station. Plus we've seen precision phaser fire before, much less with 900+ years of targeting advancements. Perhaps the shield extension was taking up too much power to use the phasers and photon torpedoes? Shuttles for their independent transporters to get the survivors, use their independent weapons on the debris or physically intercept/ram the debris (AI or remote piloting).
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    While I don't want to start a fight, I sometimes wonder whether or not the reactions to her character would be different if she were a man.
    I'd be annoyed with anyone in a command position being as constantly and inappropriately emotional as Michael.

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Maybe Book's ship is taking up all that space.

BTW it plays Enterprise's non-FOTH theme when the spacedock is unveiled. Also the opening credits now have the upgraded ship design.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 11-19-2021 at 11:56 AM.

Watching the premiere episode now and one thing that stands out to me is the new uniforms. I really like them but it kind of irks me that only the Captain has those "pips" denoting rank.

I really enjoyed the fist scene, though (Book continues to be the best character on this show) and Burnham doing her "Kirk" thing.

Kind of funny that both Doctor Who and Star Trek now have planet destroying destruction wave plots going on at the same time.

BTW it plays Enterprise's non-FOTH theme when the spacedock is unveiled. Also the opening credits now have the upgraded ship design.
    I smiled so broadly when the space dock was revealed to be named after my man Archer then the ENT theme played while we actually see it and an under construction Voyager J-type(?) ship.
    I usually skip the credits but I watched to see how they'd be updated for s4. Nicely done, and is that the anomaly visible behind the director's credit? Looks like VOY's graviton elipse.
    Kind of funny that both Doctor Who and Star Trek now have planet destroying destruction wave plots going on at the same time.
    Is that what Flux is about? I was tempted to start watching again but I couldn't bring myself to.
    Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    I really enjoyed the fist scene, though (Book continues to be the best character on this show)
    I missed that. Was it between Book and his hot blood brother? Will it be an extra on the DVD? (I kid. I kid.)