Page 32 of 75 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Ohhhh... is Mudd from the original series?
    Yep. The Harry Mudd character appeared in two episodes of The Original Series ("Mudd's Women" and "I, Mudd")

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mormel View Post
    Carabas and nx01a briefly talked about it before, it's heavily speculated that
    spoilers:
    Ash Tyler is really Voq undercover, which is why we haven't seen him (Voq) since episode 4. A clue is that the actor who is said to portray Voq, Javid Iqbal, has no IMDB credits to his name aside from Discovery. So it's thought that it's really Shazad Latif's face underneath all of Voq's Klingon make-up, and Javid Iqbal doesn't exist.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Also, Shazad Latif was born as Shazad Iqbal. If it's not true then the creators are really overdoing it in the red herring department.
    end of spoilers

As for the latest episode...
    Odd.
    I feel kind of meh about the episode overall, but I really loved the Klingon bits.
    Last edited by Carabas; 11-10-2017 at 01:23 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    Yep. The Harry Mudd character appeared in two episodes of The Original Series ("Mudd's Women" and "I, Mudd")
    He's the only non-Enterprise-crew character to appear more than once, I think - isn't he?

BANNED

You know I enjoyed the first 5 episodes, but have found the last 3 boring. I also wish that they had picked another villain besides the Klingons. They just all look the same to me and sound like grunting beasts!

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    He's the only non-Enterprise-crew character to appear more than once, I think - isn't he?
    I think so.

How do I ask a mod to change the title of this thread to 'Star Trek: Discovery discussion' or something along those lines? Or did I just?

Mudd was also supposed to be the smarmy salesman responsible for Uhura getting a Tribble but the actor was unavailable to film The Trouble With Tribbles.

It's so odd that the Klingon part of the last episode was more interesting than the away mission. It's also odd that I like Admiral Cornwell better than any of the main cast. Ah, well. At least the space battle was more enjoyable than previous pew pews.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    You know I enjoyed the first 5 episodes, but have found the last 3 boring. I also wish that they had picked another villain besides the Klingons. They just all look the same to me and sound like grunting beasts!
    Interesting. The past three (or four) have probably been my favourite. It also feels like it's balancing its being a Star Trek show with being something different. These feel quite old-school Trek at times.

Though, I'm still not really enjoying the Klingons at all. I'm not actually a huge fan of them outside of the third and sixth movies but they're really kinda annoying here. I don't generally find warrior-race aliens all that compelling in general and between the wonky makeup and having them talk in Klingon, which, as made up languages go, just sounds incredibly clumsy and ugly that all the Klingon scenes just drag the whole thing to a halt.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    Back in the day, the only distinct one to me, that I could recognice immediately, was the Klingon Marty Feldman Gowron.
    And that is what the language is supposed to sound like, what it originally was designed to evoke.

Just finished watching the fall finale and it really seems like Tyler is Voq but has lost his memory somehow. And we are definetly getting the mirror universe when the show returns.

Boobies! 10 char
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Best episode of the series so far. I actually plan to rewatch this... but skipping two scenes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Boobies! 10 char
    Kloobies. That was... disturbing.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Mudd also 'appeared' in an episode of the animated series played by the same actor, and the character was actually supposed to appear in season one of TNG, but the actor died before that could be arranged. It would've involved the character being woken up from a cryogenic freeze. (Similar, in a few ways, to how Scotty and later Kirk were integrated into TNG. Also similar in a way to the season finale The Neutral Zone, which makes me wonder if he was originally supposed to be the Ralph Offenhouse character).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

man, this show should be cancelled. But since Netflix is footing a bunch of the budget it's going to go on for some time.

Ok finally saw all the episodes and while an ok tv show and ok at best I really dislike this show as a Star Trek especially for when it's set. Now before going forward I have no issue with a dark interpretation of a past property. I loved the original Battlestar Galactica but the remake series of BSG is one of my favorite shows period. Also I know Trek canon can be wonky and it's why I liked Enterprise which I enjoyed more the Voyager and I also liked the Reboot Star Trek films with me believing Star Trek 2009 and Beyond are better then almost all the Next Gen films with the exception of First Contact. Now with at said I can't get over the total disregard for canon I mean as Discovery is happening this is happening on Enterprise

We know this time period if this show was a few decades earlier, or the 25th Century, or Kelvin Timeline I might be more forgiving but it's not so I'm not.

Now my issues

The Crew: Outside of Saru, Tilly, and Ash who might be a Klingon spy I find this crew completely unlikable and their total disregard for life is appalling the shuttle pilot dies when Burnham comes aboard and even Landry's deaths are treated with no emotion and in the shuttle pilot's case even acknowledgment. Kirk, Picard, Sisko, Janeway, and Archer would never treat a crewmembers death like this even red shirts .

The "Klingons": Now they could have used the augment virus or anything to explain why these Klingons want a more pure Klingon race but nope nothing and these things act like no Klingons we ever met before they have no honor IMO.

Harry Mudd: Ironically Rainn Wilson was a bright spot for me but that is not Harcourt Fenton Mudd and Wilson while good is no Roger C. Carmel.

Gene's Vision: Trek has veered is different directions than Gene would take it my favorite show DS9 certainly did but never felt like a betrayal of his vision of humanity like this does these people do not represent Gene's vision of a humanity working to improve itself in anyway.

Last the Orville Factor: Perhaps I'd be less critical if there wasn't a show on right now that is a mix of TNG and Red Dwarf which feels like a true spiritual successor to Gene's vision of humanity. Orville has not only represented Gene's vision of humanity but has tackled social issues like morality of Zoos, reality tv, assigning gender to children, the importance of women on society, accepting cultural differences, social media, and religious indoctrination and its dangers to name a few while putting forth diverse, interesting, and likable characters.

So yeah this is my opinion on STD after watching up to the midseason finale and while I don't think STD is awful I also have no real interest in it at this point going further.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    TOS there as also Sarek and Amanda Spock's Parents, Khan, Kor, Koloth, Kang, Arne Darvin a Klingon spy on K7, Zefram Cochrane, and Cyrano Jones appeared in the Animated Series.

Oops sorry didn't see you meant strictly TOS.
    Last edited by Jokerz79; 11-23-2017 at 09:48 PM.