Page 71 of 76 FirstFirst ... 2161676869707172737475 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,065 of 1126
    Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I've only seen season 1 and 2 and there are 3 episodes that I can say I genuinely liked Season 1's Magic to Make the Sanest Man Go Mad and Season 2's New Eden and If memory Serves. I've been debating about Seasons 3 and 4 because I like Oded Fehr and David Cronenberg but man have you sold me on not watching them.

I know this show has fans for you guys I feel sorry for but for me to quote Jay Sherman "& Nothing of Value was Lost".
    I don't think there's anything to be sorry about, even for fans like myself, as 5 seasons is a pretty good run. My only hope is it gets a proper ending as I'd hate a repeat of Enterprise.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 03-03-2023 at 08:06 AM.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I don't think there's anything to be sorry about, even for fans like myself, as 5 seasons is a pretty good run. My only hope is it gets a proper ending as I'd hate a repeat of Enterprise.
    Unlike with Enterprise, I think all of Discovery being a holodeck recreation would be wonderful. Last episode is Burnham saying “Computer, end program” and she goes back to her normal job after being the most awesome, powerful, and dramatic player character in the story - kind of like Reg Barclay.
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!

Quote Originally Posted by Exciter View Post
    Unlike with Enterprise, I think all of Discovery being a holodeck recreation would be wonderful. Last episode is Burnham saying “Computer, end program” and she goes back to her normal job after being the most awesome, powerful, and dramatic player character in the story - kind of like Reg Barclay.
    "And that concludes today's holographic addiction session."

*Barclay pats her on the shoulder*
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I've only seen season 1 and 2 and there are 3 episodes that I can say I genuinely liked Season 1's Magic to Make the Sanest Man Go Mad and Season 2's New Eden and If memory Serves. I've been debating about Seasons 3 and 4 because I like Oded Fehr and David Cronenberg but man have you sold me on not watching them.

I know this show has fans for you guys I feel sorry for but for me to quote Jay Sherman "& Nothing of Value was Lost".
    Kind of like how season one had those overly poetic TOS/TAS style episode titles. By season 3 it kind of settled into the more bland episode titles though-another episode with "Terra" in the title, "Unification III" etc.

Season 4 is even worse "The anomaly' "The galactic barrier" "Species Ten C"
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Exciter View Post
    This isn't St Elsewhere...Though that would piss off a lot of people.
    Last edited by krazijoe; 03-03-2023 at 11:55 AM.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beantownbrown View Post
    I read elsewhere they are going to do a few more shoots to craft a wrap up.
    An executive decision was made somewhere to suddenly make S5 the final season. It was not always going to be the this way.
    I'm sure one day we will learn why and by whom. Perhaps what a S6 could've been.
    At any rate I just hope they craft up a satisfying wrap up.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

To be honest, the finales of both s3 and s4 were perfect sendoffs for the crew and the show. S4 especially with Earth rejoining the Federation.

Hopefully we'll get resolution to the crew downgrading and abandoning Discovery in that nebula for a thousand years as seen in 'Calypso'.

Part of me really wants the DIS 32nd C to get retconned, though. I hate the idea that the Federation fell apart... and the idea that the 32nd C is so technologically backwards.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    '.
    Part of me really wants the DIS 32nd C to get retconned, though. I hate the idea that the Federation fell apart... and the idea that the 32nd C is so technologically backwards.
    In my view, that’s not canon. That’s just a “possible future” like Marvel 2099 or similar. Surely, someone can make sure the crab alien doesn’t get sad and destroy space travel in the universe.
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!

Wonder if "Calypso" is truely the end of Discovery or the crew does somehow return. In Doctor Who for example the TARDIS gets abandoned for centuries quite a few times, and in Trek itself, Time's arrow had Data's head buried in San Francisco for half a millenium.

5 seasons is very long for a modern, mostly streaming show. As much as critics of the show might want to portray this as a W for them, it had a good run. As for the shows legacy...its going to be mixed. The 2nd/3rd season transition was an obvious soft reboot that I think betrays the original concept of the series, even if it got much, much better because of that.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    5 seasons is very long for a modern, mostly streaming show. As much as critics of the show might want to portray this as a W for them, it had a good run. As for the shows legacy...its going to be mixed. The 2nd/3rd season transition was an obvious soft reboot that I think betrays the original concept of the series, even if it got much, much better because of that.
    The original premise was an era-hopping anthology, so we kinda got that. Kinda.
    Fuller originally pitched CBS not just one Star Trek series, but multiple serialized anthology shows akin to American Horror Story. Ideally, they would have started with Discovery, which acts as a prequel to the events of The Original Series with subsequent shows delving into the eras of TOS, The Next Generation, and so on, before moving onto a Trek story past the timeline of everything we have seen in this shared fictional universe so far. As Fuller put it…
    The original pitch was to do for science-fiction what American Horror Story had done for horror. It would platform a universe of Star Trek shows.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    The original premise was an era-hopping anthology, so we kinda got that. Kinda.
    Fuller originally pitched CBS not just one Star Trek series, but multiple serialized anthology shows akin to American Horror Story. Ideally, they would have started with Discovery, which acts as a prequel to the events of The Original Series with subsequent shows delving into the eras of TOS, The Next Generation, and so on, before moving onto a Trek story past the timeline of everything we have seen in this shared fictional universe so far. As Fuller put it…
    The original pitch was to do for science-fiction what American Horror Story had done for horror. It would platform a universe of Star Trek shows.
    I vaguely recall this. I suppose when I mean 'original premise' I mean the premise as presented in the first two seasons where its a prequel trilogy to TOS. I don't remember, but was Micheal being Spock's sister set a thing that early on? A concept like that would never work as an anthology show.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Every season of Discovery was a soft reboot.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

BANNED

The news of Discovery's ending with S5 was kind of expected.
    In my mind, I expected the show to wrap up wth this or the next one.
    What caught me off guard though was the fact they pushed S5 to early 2024. I thought they had concluded with filming. Possibly reshoots wee ordered.
    I am wondering how on Earth they intend to explain the Calypso Short.

Yeah, maybe they didn't know it was going to end and have to film some new stuff to properly wrap it up.