Page 51 of 73 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast
    Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Told her that the Terran empire fell and that the distance between their universes is expanding. What is with all disrespect shown to holograms? Philliipa is allowed to torture two and the overseer doesn't stop her. Nhan barks "Throw me in the brig Hologram!" after being a total jerk for no reason. These holograms are supposedly more advanced than The Doctor from Voyager who evolved to the point where he wanted equal rights but now this far into the future they are just treated like appliances. I guess Kurtzman trek only respects Androids who summon eldritch monsters to wipe out humanity.

Is anyone else freaked out that everyone is cool with the ship becoming sentient?
    That's what I mean. PG does not strike me as a type to have some sort of mental breakdown over just that, or by having the fact that she has feelings for someone outed.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    That's what I mean. PG does not strike me as a type to have some sort of mental breakdown over just that, or by having the fact that she has feelings for someone outed.
    Meh..it's Discovery.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Fun episode, I'm glad Saru reprimanded Burnham for her actions, at first I thought she was going to get off with a warning. Linus was my favorite this episode, unlike Tilly he's genuinely funny.
    Any guesses who the new number one will be?
    I'm thinking Detmer, but Nahn would have been perfect if she did not leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowras View Post
    Fun episode, I'm glad Saru reprimanded Burnham for her actions, at first I thought she was going to get off with a warning. Linus was my favorite this episode, unlike Tilly he's genuinely funny.
    Any guesses who the new number one will be?
    I'm thinking Detmer, but Nahn would have been perfect if she did not leave.
    Make Linus the next CO. Do it, you cowards!

Ahem, barring that, Stamets is likely the most senior officer but nothing really screams command about him, either (unlike Scotty). Reno would be nice to see but she's still seen so infrequently and maybe doesn't have the temperment for command (and I feel like she'd agree, too). Agreed about Nhan, though -- she would've been the next logical choice.

Nilson's been at the Conn the most often out of the junior officers, so maybe she'll be XO. But like all those junior officers aside from Tilly, they're barely allowed to do anything, never mind going above and beyond. Detmer is the local ship's hero, true, but we've never seen her in command in any capacity, either -- not even of an away team (because Burnham demands to be part of every away team, apparently).

Anyway, further thoughts:

- The Andorian getting shot was predictable a mile away. And I'm not talking about during the break out, I'm talking about the instant we meet him and find out that he's deeply remorseful.

- A Cardassian Starfleet Captain! Neat!

- I like Admiral Oded Fehr. He may come across as an unreasonable authority figure at first, but he's simply doing his best to keep everything from falling apart. Better yet, having him fish out his own answers from Burnham was a great move, both to show his experience and to show Burnham that she knew the stakes all along.

- With that said, Discovery seems to be going out of its way to getting established, attractive, older men in command roles (Jason Isaacs, Anson Mount, Oded Fehr), who all have a certain archetype of strong, distinguished, seasoned, and lean. Not a complaint, of course, but put the three of them together and you have a magazine cover for Vanity Fair.

- As well, I like Saru as Captain, and I like that he felt he still had a lot of learning to do. That's humility in a new role, and Admiral Fehr sees that (when he pointed out that Saru should have told him about Burnham's plan -- the Admiral might have agreed if he were simply asked)

- With that said, Burnham giving her approval to Saru by telling him he did the right thing in punishing her seems really uncalled for. You're still not in charge, Burnham.

- I might have missed this, but Mirror Georgiou's debilitating PTSD likely stems from losing Mirror Burnham, right?

- Book > Tyler, by leaps and bounds

- Ok, when Book's ship did that piece-by-piece "180", I had to make the Transformers' sound effect from the 80s.

- Favorite part of the episode: Stamets believing Adira and having that heart to heart bonding moment, made even better when Gray showed up. It's incredibly important to be believed, and it reminded me of TNG -- if Troi is dealing with psychic aliens, if Riker's getting kidnapped by extradimensional beings, if Crusher is with a space ghost (ugh), Picard and Co. don't immediately dismiss those concerns like they're crazy; they may have doubts or be skeptical, but Picard will still devote some resources to at least investigate. That's validation, and I'm so glad the show didn't have Stamets just treat Adira like a kid with an imaginary friend.

- And with that said, I'm already seeing comparisons of Adira and Wesley. The big difference I'd have to point out is that Wesley, although missing a father, is still relatively well off and not in a great deal of pain. Adira, on the other hand, was introduced straight through deep tragedy, and we saw the source of that pain and sacrifice she had to make. And then there's the added complexity of a Trill soul (not just memories) accompanying her at all times. Wesley wasn't handled well and was sometimes spoiled or a boy trying to prove he was a man; Adira, on the other hand, is trying to push on and help, and isn't really asking for anyone to cut her any slack, either.

- Also, I used to be incredibly annoyed with Stamets since S1. Not so much anymore thanks to his moment with Adira (I still think Culber can do better, though).

For any faults this season may end up having in retrospect, I don't think Adira will be one of them.
    Last edited by Cyke; 11-19-2020 at 09:45 PM.

Well, that was an episode. So glad that the ship has detachable nacelles that make it more maneuverable...in space.

The crew got new badges...but not new uniforms?

Silly Saru, you can't give Burnham orders. You are only a Captain in name only. Think about it, she literally pulled out the chair and gave you permission to be Captain. We all saw that episode.

The crew should thank Adria for helping everyone find Starfleet and then send the character to the CW. I get it, Trill stuff. Dealing with the one two punch of "trill stuff" and "Wesley Crusher with a side of teen angst" is just too much. Besides there are some other characters that have been waiting in line for character development.

I understand that Linus is an attempt at creating an Orville character in Discovery, but Linus isn't funny.

I understand that the show is pushing the "This isn't last season's Burnham" angle pretty hard but if they really wanted us to see her differently maybe they should have tried for five years instead of one and hair extensions? They aren't doing the character any favors.

Not much to say about the liberation of the camp.

Kind of hilarious that they made Burnham say why she was wrong, like she was a child.
    Kind of sad that Saru apologizes for making her number one instead of chewing her out. Of course Saru isn't really Captain. He is more like an older brother.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

What is with all disrespect shown to holograms? Philliipa is allowed to torture two and the overseer doesn't stop her. Nhan barks "Throw me in the brig Hologram!" after being a total jerk for no reason. These holograms are supposedly more advanced than The Doctor from Voyager who evolved to the point where he wanted equal rights but now this far into the future they are just treated like appliances. I guess Kurtzman trek only respects Androids who summon eldritch monsters to wipe out humanity.
    I chalk it up to the fact that the DISCO crew are close-minded, backwater, 23rd century hillbillies. Not like our woke friends from the 24th.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I don't get the hate, this season continues to be pretty solid in my eyes.

Extraordinary Member

Pretty good episode. Maybe Tilly will be the new no. 2.

Mighty Member

I thought this was probably the weakest of the season so far, but still relatively fun. I loved everything taking place on Disco, but Burnham's little side quest had some issues. The stuff for Georgiou was good, and Michelle Yeoh got to do more than just be sexy/sassy, and knocked it out of the park. But renegade Burnham is just tiring. I get what they're going for, and I actually do like her relationship with Book, but it just rankled me that she turned on Saru so quickly, and selfishly.

Still, great moments for Saru, Tilly, Stamets, Adira Tal, and Culber. And the little running joke with Linus had me chuckling. It wasn't that the episode was bad, just not up to the level of the season thus far. That's two sort-of duds in a row. Both watchable, but not quite as excellent as the beginning of the season.

Boisterously Confused

Got to say, I always respected Stamets, this was the first time I liked Stamets.

Yeah, Burnham getting to Last Word Saru's judgement was a call that made me want to sniff the writer's room coffee cups. Yes, she's the star, but Jesu, don't make it so easy to call Mary Sue.

The crew reacting to their new tech was charming.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I don't get the hate, this season continues to be pretty solid in my eyes.
    Everyone agrees that it's the best season of Discovery. It's finally become wildly uneven and may even make it to guilty pleasure, but a lot has to go right for that to happen.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    What, exactly did that interrogator do to Phillipa? She doesn't strike me as the type to crack under the strain of having a personal secret stripped bare.
    Told her that the Terran empire fell and that the distance between their universes is expanding...
    Yeaaaah, I think not. Whatever's going on with PG is heavier than being given bad news about her chances of getting home.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

I don't think her problem is mental. It seems physical (probably quantum level). It's just that we're now noticing it after she's been told about the distance between universes.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    I don't think her problem is mental. It seems physical (probably quantum level). It's just that we're now noticing it after she's been told about the distance between universes.
    Ooooo. Interesting!

Might her distance from her native reality be messing with her compatibility with Disc's?

Mighty Member

Well, that was an episode. So glad that the ship has detachable nacelles that make it more maneuverable...in space.

The crew got new badges...but not new uniforms?

Silly Saru, you can't give Burnham orders. You are only a Captain in name only. Think about it, she literally pulled out the chair and gave you permission to be Captain. We all saw that episode.

The crew should thank Adria for helping everyone find Starfleet and then send the character to the CW. I get it, Trill stuff. Dealing with the one two punch of "trill stuff" and "Wesley Crusher with a side of teen angst" is just too much. Besides there are some other characters that have been waiting in line for character development.

I understand that Linus is an attempt at creating an Orville character in Discovery, but Linus isn't funny.

I understand that the show is pushing the "This isn't last season's Burnham" angle pretty hard but if they really wanted us to see her differently maybe they should have tried for five years instead of one and hair extensions? They aren't doing the character any favors.

Not much to say about the liberation of the camp.

Kind of hilarious that they made Burnham say why she was wrong, like she was a child.
    Kind of sad that Saru apologizes for making her number one instead of chewing her out. Of course Saru isn't really Captain. He is more like an older brother.
    Guy, don't u dare diss them fine braids. They are ***FIRE!!!****. She looks great with them.