Page 62 of 75 FirstFirst ... 125258596061626364656672 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Weapons to blast the debris long before it got anywhere near the ship or station. Plus we've seen precision phaser fire before, much less with 900+ years of targeting advancements. Perhaps the shield extension was taking up too much power to use the phasers and photon torpedoes? Shuttles for their independent transporters to get the survivors, use their independent weapons on the debris or physically intercept/ram the debris (AI or remote piloting).
    They'd already deliberately taken the transporter out of play for drama. If Disco couldn't get a lock because of interference, the smaller shuttles aren't going to be able to.

They couldn't use the weapons the way you suggest because Stamets had to steal all the power to keep the expanded shield in place. Though I'd be curious what the result of superheating methane in space is, now that we mention it. In the presence of oxygen it would burn, but I wonder how it would handle the vacuum.

As "unwinnable" scenarios go, this one was relatively well constructed within the confines of the episode. They handwaved away the transporter with technobabble, but that's a problem with the transporter even existing as a technology so we just have to live with it. But everything else in the scenario was at least believably limiting to the crews' options. Would it hold up to rigorous cost/benefit analysis? Probably not, but how often does anything Hollywood?

Yeah, the Flux is some sort of time/space thing that seems to be destroying planets due in part to some temple getting messed up somehow, and the Daleks, Cybermen and Sontarans are also taking advantage of that to conquer the universe as the last episode reveal.

Earth is also in it's path but seems to be protected by dog-like aliens at the moment. I think.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Well here we are.

Why was The Captain Of The Discovery and Book The New and improved Spore Drive pilot on a planet with no other officers whatsoever trying to reconnect with a race that didn't care for the Federation even before The Burn. Should be smooth sailing..

Rhys! I'm shocked that dude got some lines.

Adria, you are the new Wesley Crusher no one asked for. Also tell your partner to stop popping up because it just makes your character worse and drop the whole finds them a new body thing as well because it's creepy. They died. They live on through Adria or exorcise them.

The rebuilding of the Federation being done off-screen so we can do more pew pew. It pains me to say this but Andromeda was more dedicated to rebuilding its Federation wannabe.

Burnham whining about politics. Uh...Mike you are rebuilding the Federation. Whining about politics as usual and "ticking boxes" (She actually said that!) makes you sound like an angry redditor rather than a Starfleet officer.

Some people have made Kirk/Burnham comparisons. Burnham is like a Cliff Notes version of Kirk. In a way it makes sense though because this is the approach the writers take. It's Trek by people who read the Cliff Notes.

Tilly thinks she doesn't deserve her promotion. Well....she doesn't. New Trek seems obsessed with bumping people up in rank as quickly as possible. Just look what JJ did with Kirk...

Saru is back! Apparently he can leave now because it was the Dilithium planet that made his fellow Kelpian crazy and now that he isn't near it he is cured? Sure, whatever Saru is a cool character and having him back is a plus. He will probably become captain of the new Voyager ship unless Tilly gets another undeserved promotion.

The President is calling Michael out, good chance she dies or turns out to be evil or both.

Book's planet blew up....I felt nothing.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 11-20-2021 at 07:11 PM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

On Reedit they brought up that Voyager's namesake didn't exactly have the best history with experimental warps....

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    On Reedit they brought up that Voyager's namesake didn't exactly have the best history with experimental warps....
    Well they do need to explain the whole Calypso short. Maybe that's how they do it.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Incredible Member

Baseless prediction: Discovery's trip to the future cause the gravitational anomaly. Will they need to hop times again to get rid of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Adria, you are the new Wesley Crusher no one asked for.
    With Tilly's anxiety and awkwardness thrown in.
    Sounds perfect.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Finally made time to see the first episode...and man, this was easily the best Discovery has been! Great character moments, a nice balance between the action and science fiction beats and the threat is big but understandable. This is going to be a great season.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Tilly thinks she doesn't deserve her promotion. Well....she doesn't. New Trek seems obsessed with bumping people up in rank as quickly as possible. Just look what JJ did with Kirk...
    As opposed to never bumping them up, like Harry Kim lol. Or Ryker constantly turning down promotions to captain for..."reasons".
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Baseless prediction: Discovery's trip to the future cause the gravitational anomaly. Will they need to hop times again to get rid of it?

With Tilly's anxiety and awkwardness thrown in.
    The urge to say 'Shut up Wesley!' When the character showed up was overwhelming.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post
    As opposed to never bumping them up, like Harry Kim lol. Or Ryker constantly turning down promotions to captain for..."reasons".
    I know it's to keep him on the show but it makes him look dumb, tbh. Why put these offers in at all?

Riker and Troi's Ten Forward conversation in BOBW kind of goes into detail about that:

RIKER: What am I still doing here? Deanna, I pushed myself hard to get this far. I sacrificed a lot. I always said I wanted my own command, and yet something's holding me back. Is it wrong for me to want to stay?
    TROI: What do you think?
    RIKER: Maybe I'm just afraid of the big chair.
    TROI: I don't think so.
    RIKER: The Captain says Shelby reminds him of the way I used to be. And he's right. She comes in here full of drive and ambition. Impatient, taking risks. I look at her and I wonder whatever happened to those things in me? I liked those things about me. I've lost something.
    TROI: You mean you're older, more experienced. A little more seasoned.
    RIKER: Seasoned. That's a horrible thing to say to a man.
    TROI: I don't think you've lost a thing, and I think you've gained more than you realise. You're much more comfortable with yourself than you used to be.
    RIKER: Maybe that's the problem. I'm too comfortable here.
    TROI: I'm not sure I know what that means. You're happy here. Happier than I've ever known you to be. So, it comes down to a simple question. What do you want, Will Riker?

Book keeps watching footage of dying birds and his planet going boom. Burnham tries to console him and is called into the ready room by a bridge dude called "Bryce" first Rhys now this? Careful show we might actually start to remember their names.

Saru is back. Burnham tells Saru that she can't get Book to cry, and is thinking about sending him to the brig because not crying on Discovery is a capitol offense. Saru was offered a command and declined so he can hang out with the crazy people.

Big Meeting in a Big Room at a Big Table with.....no chairs and no security apparently because Book just walks in to a high level meeting and stands there. They have no idea what caused it. Have they considered an angry toddler?

Burnham address the crew and talks about the anomaly and how sad it is that they lost Kwejian the planet where everyone dressed like they In the movie The Matrix and made rifles that fired sticks at people and had those floating jellyfish from the movie Avatar. She finishes the speech as if she is going to throw down with the anomaly on the street corner.

They catch up with the cloud and Book agrees to go in. Burnham doesn't want to do that but Book says and I quote "I'm not Starfleet, technically I'm not under your command! "
    Wow. Discovery's Spore Drive pilot, is not Starfleet and not under Burnham's command. Let that sink in.

Okay I am now officially building the kill Adria bandwagon, and hopefully this terrible storyline dies as well.

Burnham needs Saru help because Book is going to fly into the Anomaly with our without her permission. Some Captain Burnham is...

Book and Stamets do the buddy cop thing and head into the anamoly. These are two actors doing some good work. Discovery gets hit they need to figure out what happened so they send for...SIGH...Adria

But Tilly tells Adira to shut up! Not really. But it's close enough "Hey you don't get to do that okay? We've all done this before,we still double and triple check our work. Now make sure that you've included the irregular gravitational strain on the ship. Now get out of here you annoying Wesley Crusher. Please. Thank You. BOOM! I added the Wesley Crusher part myself but the rest was pure Tilly.

Book flips out and Burnham has to open a private channel so the crew won't know...that they aren't in relationship? It's too late for that. Can you imagine any Captain other than Burnham having to do this? Book rides the wave out. Everyone cheers for Bryce.

Tilly needs to talk to someone.
    Adira continues to bore everyone
    Booker cried because this is Discovery and someone has to cry every episode.
    They can't predict where the anomaly will strike next.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 11-25-2021 at 10:54 AM.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Red_matter

Maybe this thing is the cause. Ni'var might have some explaining to do if so...

My "favorite" parts of the episode.

Tilly chewing out Adira.

Book just waltzing into a high-level meeting with the president of the Federation and various admirals, captains and leader of Nivar.

Book just straight up telling Burnham that he isn't Starfleet and isn't under her command, but he is the new and improved Spore Drive WTF?!

Dr Culber making new bodies in sickbay?! Say Whaaaaaaaa?! He can also download consciousness into them. This is a game changer. They try to say that it really didn't work out for mass production but that was hundreds of years ago! With the tech they have now it can be a reality. Congrats writers you just broke your show for the absolute worst character (Adira) in the absolute worst storyline.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 11-26-2021 at 10:47 AM.

It's the same tech they used to give Picard a new body.