Page 60 of 73 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Linus was one of the highlights of s2 and s3! The actor's exaggerated body language is perfect.
    The character strikes me as leftovers from The Orville.

I like The Orvillve but that doesn't mean I want to see such a blatant wannabe character in Trek
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    The character strikes me as leftovers from The Orville.
    I like The Orvillve but that doesn't mean I want to see such a blatant wannabe character in Trek
    I find The Orville juvenile and unwatchable.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Have to disagree here. The pilot was iffy but after that it really took off and became almost a lighthearted TNG tribute.
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!

The writers for Discovery didn't. Where do you think they got the inspiration for the character from? He shows up out of nowhere for Discovery's second season to....sneeze green snot on people? It was such blatant pandering "See Orville fans, a lot of wacky stuff happens here too!"

But as usual Discovery mistakes the topping for the whole cake.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    The writers for Discovery didn't. Where do you think they got the inspiration for the character from? He shows up out of nowhere for Discovery's second season to....sneeze green snot on people? It was such blatant pandering "See Orville fans, a lot of wacky stuff happens here too!"

But as usual Discovery mistakes the topping for the whole cake.
    Eh, I'd say that's a Trek staple that the Orville decided to use (see: Morn.)

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I've also watched Babylon 5 and Andromeda once, and I remember various secondary characters names (Londo Molari, G'Kar, Delenn, Susan Ivanova, John Sheridan, Vir Coto, Kosh, Garibaldi, Zach, Talia Winters, Lyta Alexander, Marcus, etc. without bothering to check the Google. And who can forget the amazingly bad names from Andromeda? Trance Gemini? Tyr Anasazi? Oh my. It's like drunken mad libs. Never watched SG1, though.) And I had 15% of my brain removed since then, because of a tumor. So maybe your memory issue isn't particularly proof of anything?

Of the Discovery bridge crew, I know Detmer and Owo's names, but not even that much about the others. Do they even have names? Heck, on other shows, we'd get to see occasionally what lower-decker types were up to, like O'Brian, on Next Generation (some folks that wouldn't ever have a reason to be on the bridge!)

I think Linus, the lizard dude with the big eyes, has gotten more speaking lines than half those people on the poster.
    Seeing you rattle names off jogs the ole memory. For me though I also have trouble with names of people I went to college with(20+yrs ago now). Face, I recall but we haven't sat in the Quad or never were really close your name is out of my head. Three companies a marriage and 2 kids means my brain seemingly purges the "no longer actively needed" names out.

For me SG-1, Andromeda, Babylon 5 work like that. Thinking on it more the same would be true for Farscape.
    Basically those shows are not actively on in reruns nightly. I literally pass the time many nights cleaning up after dinner, folding laundry etc with the wife while a 4hr block of Trek runs on the H&I network(Heroes and Icons). ***Also, sorry about your brain tumor***

Someone else mentioned the episode count. I can see where that would also come into play. TNG routinely had 24/26 episode seasons. These new shows are half or 2/3 that so less time to explore secondary characters.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Someone else mentioned the episode count. I can see where that would also come into play. TNG routinely had 24/26 episode seasons. These new shows are half or 2/3 that so less time to explore secondary characters.
    So true. With such short seasons, there's not really as much 'room' for a lower decks type episode focused on the O'Brians or whatever of Discovery, but dayum, I feel like I know *vastly* more about Michael's boyfriend with the ship and the cat, having even met his brother and been to his home-world, than I do about Detmer or Owo, who've been around for three seasons now (or all those other nameless bridge extras).

Unfortunately, a lot of the hate the show gets up seems to get mired in the 'hating on Michael Burnham' focus, which creates the unflattering appearance that it's mired in a combination of racism and misogyny (and I'm sure some of it is, not even that thinly disguised, but I'm just kind of tired of everything being all about Michael's reaction to it, and I'd feel the same if she was a white dude. The cyborg woman (science officer? who even knows, it's like captain, doctor, engineer, and a bunch of people who stand around on the bridge, pushing buttons) sacrifices her life to save the crew from the AI controlling her, and the emotional focus of the episode is that it hurt Michael's feelings? Yikes!).

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I admit I googled her, the cyborg-ish science officer was named Airiam. A visually striking character that I was hoping we'd learn more about.
    Being that she is part machine I wonder if there is a way she can come back? I guess not since she "died" in the past and the crew is in the far future.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    So true. With such short seasons, there's not really as much 'room' for a lower decks type episode focused on the O'Brians or whatever of Discovery, but dayum, I feel like I know *vastly* more about Michael's boyfriend with the ship and the cat, having even met his brother and been to his home-world, than I do about Detmer or Owo, who've been around for three seasons now (or all those other nameless bridge extras).

Unfortunately, a lot of the hate the show gets up seems to get mired in the 'hating on Michael Burnham' focus, which creates the unflattering appearance that it's mired in a combination of racism and misogyny (and I'm sure some of it is, not even that thinly disguised, but I'm just kind of tired of everything being all about Michael's reaction to it, and I'd feel the same if she was a white dude. The cyborg woman (science officer? who even knows, it's like captain, doctor, engineer, and a bunch of people who stand around on the bridge, pushing buttons) sacrifices her life to save the crew from the AI controlling her, and the emotional focus of the episode is that it hurt Michael's feelings? Yikes!).
    Unfortunately these insane bigots have flooded every fandom discussion with their petty hatred

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    I admit I googled her, the cyborg-ish science officer was named Airiam. A visually striking character that I was hoping we'd learn more about.
    Being that she is part machine I wonder if there is a way she can come back? I guess not since she "died" in the past and the crew is in the far future.
    Funny thing is, the character's replacement, Nillson, is the same actress of Airiam in season one, but without the makeup/prosthetics. Also in season 3 we met mirror Airiam (played by the season two actress), who didn't have any cyber parts.

As for recovering her, yeah her body's in a torpedo floating around space in the 23rd century. I suppose she could be revived with far future medical tech like the people in "The Neutral Zone" but I also think they erased her recorded memories too.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

I watched the first 4 episodes of Star Trek Discovery Season 3. I liked them. The way they split the first two episodes between Burnham's arrival and Discovery's arrival was smart. It let you explore both without quite the same amount of story compression if they'd both been in one episode. I loved the way in the first episode when they hit Burnham with the truth drug, one of her first reactions was to say to not give it to Tilley because of the chatty euphoria the drug gives off. I had a good chuckle. I also liked the way they had that one Federation believer waiting to receive someone if they ever showed up. I thought the whole scene was fantastically scripted.

In Episode 2, the way it resembled strangers walking into a town saloon was a nice touch. But I'm really worried about Detmer back on the ship. She's hurt and I don't think anyone through four episodes realized it. I mean, I know they've all begun the process of dealing with the emotional toll of their trip to the future but Detmer was pretty banged up and I think something is glitching with her cybernetics. Oh and Tilley losing her patience with being insulted by Georgiou and nearly dropping the F-bomb was so freaking hilarious.

Arriving at Earth to discover that the planet is not only not a part of the Federation in whatever simplistic manner it might still exist but that they've become a bit xenophobic was a hit to the Discovery crew for sure. Definitely not what any of them could have expected. I'm not sure what to make of Adira quite yet even with the fourth episode being their origin story with the whole Human joined Trill symbiont background. I do have a question though. The actor is listed as non-binary, but I do think I hear at least one character refer to Adira as "she". So has it been established that Adira is female? I ask because I do not want to be taking crap from anyone if I refer to the character as "she" and I'm incorrect.

I had hoped to watch more episodes but when I went to switch discs, my apparently fading DVD player wouldn't read the 2nd disc...and it isn't the disc itself. ARGGGHHHH!
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Ultimate Member

Too bad about your DVD player.

Would you say S3 is an improvement?

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    Too bad about your DVD player.

Would you say S3 is an improvement?
    Well, I enjoyed Season 2 so I don't know what your requirements would be. I've heard other people say Season 3 was bad but I will say that I enjoyed the first four episodes.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    Well, I enjoyed Season 2 so I don't know what your requirements would be. I've heard other people say Season 3 was bad but I will say that I enjoyed the first four episodes.
    Ok. I didn't love season 3 but I liked it well enough and thought it was a considerable improvement over season 2.