Page 29 of 76 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast

It's often been said that the Klingons and Romulans kind of flipped attributes. In TOS the Klingons were the guys who were always plotting and started a lot of proxy conflicts, while the Romulans sort of had a code of honor (Well, at least the commander who looked like Sarek did).

However, starting with Star Trek III this seems to be turned on it's head. The Klingons now have cloaking devices for their own "Birds of Prey", and the honor thing starts to take some shape although it's not fully formed until TNG (I've read that the Romulans were the original villains of III, but changed to Klingons, possibly to avoid confusion with the Vulcans?). Once TNG rolls around the Romulans are the plotting ones behind the scenes.

There's some 'fanon' I think that the two had an alliance of sorts around the time of TOS's third season and the first movie, which explains why they had the Klingon ships in "Enterprise Inciddent"; but that at some point the alliance went sour and they became bitter enemies as we see in TNG.

Section 31 also played a role in "Into Darkness" as well, although an alternate version of course.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I think that your memories of the Klingons do not match up to how they actually were very well. Especially to how they were before they spent 7 series of TNG growing ever more cuddly and toothless.
    We spent 7 years of TNG digging deeply into their politics and culture and ethics, showing them to be far more than merely war-thirsty murderhobos. DS9 regressed them for a while because the execs wanted more war but they returned to the nuanced frenemies they were before. There's no way the DSC Klingons can ever realistically become close allies of the Federation.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

BANNED

I don't even want Klingons of any era to be close eras to the Federation.

Besides, canonically, they randomly swap their personalities and culture with the Romulans anyway sometime between TOS and TNG.
    Last edited by Carabas; 10-19-2017 at 03:00 PM.

Even TOS showed that the Klingons and the Federation weren't that different, or the Federation and the Romulans.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Spectacular Member

Don't know if anyone cares, but this is the closest thing to an active Trek thread....

Star Trek Continues has released the first part of their final "series finale" episode concluding the 5 year mission.

Greatly enjoyed Rainn Wilson in this recent episode, a very welcomed character addition to the Star Trek Discovery verse in my book.

Seemed like a lot happened. Saru as captain and Michael/Saru's relationship growth was interesting. The engineer had some growth as a character which i'm not sure about him, so good to see. I'm still not sold on Captain Lorca though even after that cool little adventure he went on. Couldn't stop thinking this would've been 10x cooler with Michelle Yeoh (going back to one of my earlier posts.)

That + my Borg -ish redhead helmsman got some decent screen time who i finally learned her name Keyla Detmer and can stop calling her that = Pretty happy with the episode.
    Last edited by SXVA; 10-20-2017 at 02:11 AM.
    I wanna ditch the logical... don't let me let you go...., living for the only thing i know, hanging by a moment... nom nom coffee nom nom tea.

I don't even want Klingons of any era to be close eras to the Federation.

Besides, canonically, they randomly swap their personalities and culture with the Romulans anyway sometime between TOS and TNG.
    May I ask why?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    May I ask why?
    Personal preferance?

Have them as somewhat allies, sure. Close allies makes them too cuddly and safe.

Besides, this close alliance was entirely based on Gowron not dying or otherwise being replaced.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SXVA View Post
    That + my Borg -ish redhead helmsman got some decent screen time who i finally learned her name Keyla Detmer and can stop calling her that = Pretty happy with the episode.
    I just wish they'd give her some lines.

I just wish they'd give her some lines.
    That would be nice. She's had a few short lines acknowledging the captain's orders (unless that was all in my imagination) but hopefully the character becomes a bit more involved as things go.
    I wanna ditch the logical... don't let me let you go...., living for the only thing i know, hanging by a moment... nom nom coffee nom nom tea.

Watched Choose Your Pain wow what an excellent title for a episode of STD.

The Good Rainn Wilson was good as Harry Mudd but no Roger C. Carmel.

If Ash Tyler turns out to be a Klingon and they use the Captain's Tribble to out him I'll be impressed.

The Bad:

Lorca isn't just a jerk he's possible a sociopath too given his past. Why is this man still a captain? Well it's Discovery technically Burnham shouldn't be near a Federation Starship again either IMO so I guess it fits.

D7? Why call that Klingon Ship a D7? It's not a D7 the D7 is one of the iconic designs of Star Trek and that's not it. God why is this in the Prime Timeline?

The F bomb didn't impress me and I hope this was a one time thing. Again this is the TOS era in the Prime Timeline and Star Trek IV established swearing a pretty alien concept and not done anymore in the 23rd Century.

Robert April, Jonathan Archer, Matthew Decker, Christopher Pike, and Philippa Georgiou? Really those are the only notable captains of Starfleet? The Enterprise Captains, Decker, and the one you created that's it STD? Why not add some other names even Mayweather? This show doesn't understand subtly in the slightest oh speaking of subtly.

Really is that a hint to the Mirror Universe using an actual mirror? The term is metaphoric not literal STD.

If this show wasn't in the Prime Timeline during the TOS era I could like it well maybe still trying to find a character to like Ash seems likeable and it would be ironic if he's a Klingon. But it's this stuff that makes me frustrated and always come out hating it more than before.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Really is that a hint to the Mirror Universe using an actual mirror?
    There is zero indication of this.

Lorca isn't just a jerk he's possible a sociopath too given his past. Why is this man still a captain? Well it's Discovery technically Burnham shouldn't be near a Federation Starship again either IMO so I guess it fits.
    1) The TOS era is full of sociopathic captains.
    2) We don't actually know what happened.
    Last edited by Carabas; 10-22-2017 at 10:17 AM.

There is zero indication of this.

1) The TOS era is full of sociopathic captains.
    2) We don't actually know what happened.
    Sure the few were stripped of command or dead not given a new ship let alone the hope of Starfleet.

A mirror story is rumored and Frakes hinted at it. So his reflections smiling seems like a hint if I'm wrong great if not this is dumb not clever and with this show I always bet on dumb.

BANNED

Frakes is not even involved with this show.

Frakes is not even involved with this show.
    He's directing an episode.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store