Page 70 of 75 FirstFirst ... 2060666768697071727374 ... LastLast
Results 1,036 to 1,050 of 1125

Definitely 2 and 3 partners interspersed with one and done episodes. Enterprise showed how it should be done in its last season.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Yeah, I'm personally not a huge fan of the latest season myself but to say it isn't successful is beyond silly.
    I am genuinely curious about the numbers, how they stand up compared to the heyday of TOS or TNG. I really like SNW and I like Discovery. But I know most people have never even heard of them let alone seen them. I suspect most people know TOS, TNG, to a lesser but still significant degree, DS9 and V. Of course, they know about the movies, But I've met plenty of people who have zero idea there ever was a series called Enterprise or any of the new shows.

Sadly, outside of the movies, Star Trek has become a niche thing. It would be nice to have a big television series that everybody knows about again.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I am genuinely curious about the numbers, how they stand up compared to the heyday of TOS or TNG. I really like SNW and I like Discovery. But I know most people have never even heard of them let alone seen them. I suspect most people know TOS, TNG, to a lesser but still significant degree, DS9 and V. Of course, they know about the movies, But I've met plenty of people who have zero idea there ever was a series called Enterprise or any of the new shows.

Sadly, outside of the movies, Star Trek has become a niche thing. It would be nice to have a big television series that everybody knows about again.
    Anecdotal of course but I was in the hospital for an extended stay in August of 2019 so by this time DISCO had aired 2 seasons and Picard had dropped its 1st trailer SDCC.

One of my nurses was a Star Trek fan now she wasn't a deep full on going to internet boards and cons fan just she had seen all the films and tv shows and loved them. She had no clue DISCO or Picard existed. Most people I talk to in the real world who aren't Trekkies have no clue about these shows and some don't even know about ParamountPlus.

If they want these shows to be a draw for ParamountPlus they should air each season on CBS after they've been on ParamountPlus a while and heavily promote the airings combined with a big national ad campaign for ParamountPlus.

Seems to be less niche now than it was a decade or so ago, and they seem to be promoting it a decent amount. They had Cruz and Rapp as special guests for CBS's Macy's last year for example.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Anecdotal of course but I was in the hospital for an extended stay in August of 2019 so by this time DISCO had aired 2 seasons and Picard had dropped its 1st trailer SDCC.

One of my nurses was a Star Trek fan now she wasn't a deep full on going to internet boards and cons fan just she had seen all the films and tv shows and loved them. She had no clue DISCO or Picard existed. Most people I talk to in the real world who aren't Trekkies have no clue about these shows and some don't even know about ParamountPlus.

If they want these shows to be a draw for ParamountPlus they should air each season on CBS after they've been on ParamountPlus a while and heavily promote the airings combined with a big national ad campaign for ParamountPlus.
    That would be a pretty great way to promote the shows.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Airing the new Trek shows as a Summer series would work. The episode counts fill that calendar slot perfectly.
    That way they aren't a road block to potential new shows and it is near no cost to the network.
    It is clear the structure of the shows has "built in" transitions for commercials anyway.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Airing the new Trek shows as a Summer series would work. The episode counts fill that calendar slot perfectly.
    That way they aren't a road block to potential new shows and it is near no cost to the network.
    It is clear the structure of the shows has "built in" transitions for commercials anyway.
    I'm not even sure what sorts of numbers the major networks get these days. I'm sure it blows streaming numbers out of the water, especially now with Netflix no longer being THE streaming service with everybody wanting their own big piece of the financial pie and yanking their stuff away from Netflix.
    Power with Girl is better.

Incredible Member
    Last edited by Styles; 12-04-2022 at 12:02 PM.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Styles View Post
    I was hoping that article might hint that the episodes might be more episodic/stand alone. Guess it is still going to be one season long arc like the others.
    In that case cutting the episode count down to 10 will be good as the last few episodes has felt drawn out.

I like Discovery and Picard but due to their tightly interconnected narrative I find just watching one is a bit jarring. Same for a lot of modern genre shows really.
    The gem for the OG 5 series of Trek is the ability to come across one and just watch it. Sure a B, or even C story might run through but it didn't wholly matter to enjoying the A story.
    These new shows, especially the Trek ones, just don't have that which made Strange New Worlds a breath of fresh air.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Lower Decks kind of is episodic in the same sense. Maybe that's why they're doing a crossover episode.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beantownbrown View Post
    Season 1 was horrid.
    Season 2 was infinitely better, mostly thanks to Pike.
    Season 3 and 4 were enjoyable apart from all the crying.
    Inclusion of minorities (race, gender identity, sexuality) continued Star Trek's progressive momentum. I only wish this could have been coupled with more professionalism from the Starfleet officers, not the constant melodrama and 'character development' via a minute of traumatic exposition per background crew member. Star Trek doesn't work when the show is focused on the progress of a single character with little attention paid to those around them. 'Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations' goes for the writing, too.
    I hope this is the dawn of more shows like SNW and PIC s3.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

BANNED

Ι hope with Discovery's ending, we will get new shows like a Voyager J series.
    We didn't had the chance to explore the Milky Way's Alpha Quantrant of the 32nd Century.

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Season 1 was horrid.
    Season 2 was infinitely better, mostly thanks to Pike.
    Season 3 and 4 were enjoyable apart from all the crying.
    Inclusion of minorities (race, gender identity, sexuality) continued Star Trek's progressive momentum. I only wish this could have been coupled with more professionalism from the Starfleet officers, not the constant melodrama and 'character development' via a minute of traumatic exposition per background crew member. Star Trek doesn't work when the show is focused on the progress of a single character with little attention paid to those around them. 'Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations' goes for the writing, too.
    I hope this is the dawn of more shows like SNW and PIC s3.
    The only bright spot in the series was Pike & company in season 2, mainly based on the sheer charisma of the actors, all of whom were written much better in SNW.

Season 3 was maybe the most anticlimactic resolution to a huge, long-running mystery that I’ve ever seen. “OMG all the dilithium exploded and ended warp travel in the galaxy! How did this happen?” resolved with “a crab-guy got big sad.” It’s astounding. Then Season 4 was just like… why is this show still happening?
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!

Quote Originally Posted by Exciter View Post
    The only bright spot in the series was Pike & company in season 2, mainly based on the sheer charisma of the actors, all of whom were written much better in SNW.

Season 3 was maybe the most anticlimactic resolution to a huge, long-running mystery that I’ve ever seen. “OMG all the dilithium exploded and ended warp travel in the galaxy! How did this happen?” resolved with “a crab-guy got big sad.” It’s astounding. Then Season 4 was just like… why is this show still happening?
    I've only seen season 1 and 2 and there are 3 episodes that I can say I genuinely liked Season 1's Magic to Make the Sanest Man Go Mad and Season 2's New Eden and If memory Serves. I've been debating about Seasons 3 and 4 because I like Oded Fehr and David Cronenberg but man have you sold me on not watching them.

I know this show has fans for you guys I feel sorry for but for me to quote Jay Sherman "& Nothing of Value was Lost".