Page 11 of 75 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    It has an 88% RT score, its confirmed, kino, sweet kino.
    It's a good show just doesn't feel like Trek to me and I won't be paying for it personally and wonder how many will?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl70 View Post
    AMEN!!!! She's definitely no Riker and this isn't anything like the TOS and TNG
    Actually, she's quite a lot like the "original" number one from the Cage - the robotic, vulcan-like female that was Pike's first officer. Pike-ard.... lmao. TNG is just a mashup of un used stuff from "The Cage" unproduced series and the "Phase II" unproduced series - Riker, Troi and Data are just Will Decker, telepathic sexual alien Ilia, and curious-about-emotions Vulcan Xon.

BANNED

actual comment from an FB thread

"This is all SJW to hell, why can't minorities and women get their own entertainment and stay away from the white mans creations?"

Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post

"This is all SJW to hell, why can't minorities and women get their own entertainment and stay away from the white mans creations?"
    Has this person... ever seen the show?

uhura-and-sulu.jpg
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

So I'm reading that the "free" pilot episode is actually just part one of a two-parter, and you have to get the service to get part two.

Is there any point to watching the free episode if you are not committed to paying for the second one?

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    The news that CBS has embargoed any reviews until after it's aired is not exactly a sign of confidence. I really wanted to have a good Trek show to watch again, but it looks like this one is already dead in the water.
    Well seeing as it's on CBS's streaming service, which you have to pay for is not going to do it any good. If you pay for Netflix and Amazon Prime, you may not be up for paying more for one show. It could probably do well if they let Netflix have the first season after it's done, but I don't see that happening.

Sandy Hausler

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    So I'm reading that the "free" pilot episode is actually just part one of a two-parter, and you have to get the service to get part two.

Is there any point to watching the free episode if you are not committed to paying for the second one?
    Second episode also ends on a clifhanger... I hope that's not going to be a thing.

It is a very beautiful show full of really great effects. I have no idea how they're paying for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Second episode also ends on a clifhanger... I hope that's not going to be a thing.

It is a very beautiful show full of really great effects. I have no idea how they're paying for that.
    Netflix was rumored to have covered most of the cost when they got international rights.

BANNED

So far I think it is good but flawed.

The ending of the second episode has me hooked for now.

No, I could not care less how this fits or doesn't fit with other Trek canon. You'll never convince me TOS and TNG are really set in the same universe so I don't have a problem if this doesn't line up with the other series either.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

For me it's extremely important that it fits with canon, which is why I'm thinking I'll just take a pass on it right out of the gate.

I guess when it comes right down to it, I'm not really in the market for more Star Trek. I'm pretty happy to just enjoy what we've already gotten and move on to something else.

Mighty Member

Default Star Trek Discovery Excitement

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    For me it's extremely important that it fits with canon, which is why I'm thinking I'll just take a pass on it right out of the gate.

I guess when it comes right down to it, I'm not really in the market for more Star Trek. I'm pretty happy to just enjoy what we've already gotten and move on to something else.
    I could care less about continuity in fact I've wanted a non Starfleet Star Trek for years. The Galaxy and universe are too large to be held to Roddenberry's wonderful but outdated concept of American/Frontier/Empire building carrot and stick approach to space exploration. We need adventure not politics in space as the basis for good sf entertainment. I only saw episode 1 and refuse to watch anymore until I can see it sans commercials. Most of the viewing I have been doing is on Netflix and commercials don't cut it for me. As far as what I did see was another Terranova. Did the same idiot formally with Star Trek write this over the top illogical mess? It sure seemed like it. Despite a spectacular space walk sequence wouldn't it have been better to send an unmanned probe or shuttle first? No right thinking Captain should have allowed her Number 1 to do what she allowed her Number 1 to do. The entire lynchpin the central premise is based on is stupid as it plays out here. If you have Robots on deck what do you need human or humanoid crew members for? Why is the tech used superior it seems to Enterprise and Classic era Star Term or so it looked to me. Why despite a show painfully stumbling towards diversity is there so much white bread on board? For a show like this to thrive we still need to support it and hope for the best.But this show needs to up the ante on substance over style real soon.

Mighty Member

Scary looking Klingons

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post

They didn't say that, seriously? WTF is wrong with people?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by tabo61 View Post
    Scary looking Klingons
    Looked too much like space pigs to me. Another disturbing thought occurs considering their skin color. I mean nobody at Trek thought about that? Is this and the first theme based on shoot first to gain their respect an embrace of Trump era doctrine or coincidental?
    Last edited by alton; 09-25-2017 at 05:14 PM.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

I just saw the first episode (of the two-parter) and, I have to say, while I actually like quite a lot about it, I thought the direction and editing were almost distractingly bad. Lens flare that puts JJ Abrams to shame; sharp, jerky transitions between shots and so many Dutch angles that I almost thought I was watching Battlefield Earth there for a second.

It's a pity, because the characters seem promising; the major Klingon-centric plot should serve as a good backbone for the series and, despite the anachronistic technology, it felt like a Star Trek series - albeit one that's different enough that it doesn't just come across as a retread. But, yeesh, was it annoying to watch at times.

And, to put all this in contact, I was a huge Trek fan when I was younger but I gradually lost interest in most of the series other than TOS mostly because of how bland I found most of the characters and how humourless the shows themselves tended to be. The JJ Abrams Trek reignited my love for the property and, for all of their flaws, I greatly enjoyed both of its sequels. They were missing much of the thoughtfulness of Star Trek at its best but a) I don't think they were as empty as some thought them to be and b) slower, more thoughtful Star Trek is a better fit for TV than the cinema. As such, I had reasonably high hopes for the show, at least it concept, even if the trailers didn't exactly fill me with confidence. As it stands, after the first 42 minutes, the jury is still out but I really do want to enjoy it. I haven't watched a Star Trek like TV show in yonks and I kind of miss it.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.