Page 13 of 76 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post

Seriously though, I don't know how fans of comic books cannot understand the need for readjustments, if not outright total reboots, oh wait, I remember how people blew their lid over the New 52.
    The New52 ended and was replaced by Rebirth....

Quote Originally Posted by beetee View Post
    The New52 ended and was replaced by Rebirth....
    and Rebirth will end and be replaced with something else.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Well Number 1 made it to first officer
    That's fine cause... she is not a captain.

and that woman She was a loon maybe she was using her gender as an excuse for why she never succeeded in life instead of looking at herself?
    I guess you can read it that way but it still states that up until that point there werent any female captains. Whether it was a rule or just not having any woman reach that rank doesnt change her statement.

Unless you are just going to classify as a total lie.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post

I guess you can read it that way but it still states that up until that point there werent any female captains. Whether it was a rule or just not having any woman reach that rank doesnt change her statement.

Of all the sins against canon, this particular one, a female captain, is the one you're upset about?

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post

Well she was crazy so yes she misspoke or flat out lied. Even Spock told a fib in TOS he claimed in "Where no Man has Gone Before" One of his Ancestors married a human female. He went to the Obi-Wan from a certain point of View school. You know did one of his Ancestors marry a human woman? Yes but it was a close ancestor his father. Also in that same episode Mitchell listed Kirk's name as James R. Kirk not T. Again human error even in the 23rd century.
    Last edited by Jokerz79; 09-26-2017 at 02:53 PM.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

"Turnabout Intruder" was a season 3 episode when Roddenberry was no longer running the show. If you'd asked him he certainly would have said "Of course there would be female captains in the 23rd century." There certainly were by the time of The Voyage Home.

Aliens had sex with Klingons and now we have Klingaliens.
    When you lose the rhythm of the drumbeat of god, you are lost from the peace and rhythm of life.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Red Wolf View Post
    Aliens had sex with Klingons and now we have Klingaliens.
    And then they had sex with Humans and we got TOS Klingons.

Hi, fellow Trek lovers! Long bullet points re: the first two episodes...

>STD or DIS... Either way just sounds bad.
    >For the opening 2-parter, this ended on a horribly depressing note. I genuinely hope that, well, hope returns once we actually get aboard the Discovery... but I'm preparing myself for heavy doses of 'modern' sci-fi cynicism. VOY and DS9 had 2-part pilots that were complete stories/TV movies in their own right but that also set up the rest of their series well. Even Janeway trying to be optimistic in the face of a 75 year trip back to Earth was still hopeful. I'm not sure ending on one of the most depressing Trek notes ever was the best way to hook potential viewers. Michael's fate is, honestly, what should have happened to Riker or Reed after their acts of disobedience... but it's still very sad to watch. Lorca probably gets her released to join Discovery because he wants someone... morally flexible on his team.
    >This episode felt like the year 7 series finale of a regular Star Trek show but then everything goes wrong and the show becomes BSG. The crew are a family that gets ripped apart, the POV character betrays then loses her version of Picard and everything and everyone she loved. She's literally a mess for most of these episodes, most likely Because Klingons.
    >Oh, the continuity problems. Cloaking, holograms, the Klingon visuals... Enterprise broke canon a few times but I was able to roll with it. I guess I'll just have to do the same here... within reason.
    >I wanted the Klingon cult to have altered their DNA to become ultra-Klingon (more ridges, no hair, worse teeth) in response to the Augment Virus making millions of Klingons look like humans. The albino should have been one of the human-looking Klingons who was an outcast and desperately searching for a way to *be* Klingon. The leaders of the Klingon houses should have been regular Klingons with hair.
    >Michelle Yeoh is awesome... and one of the few people I can see holding off a Klingon in hand to hand combat as long as she did. Watching random Fed officers massacre Klingons in hand to hand combat in the past was laughable.
    >The Shenzou was beautiful. I hope she's salvaged. The Klingon ships were... not very Klingon-looking. The warp effect looking like the Shenzou was flying through the Bajoran Wormhole far too quickly, plus the ships jumping out of warp was pure BSG/Kelvin timeline. The days of beauty shots of ships at warp are over, I see. No more beam weapons ever again, too. Everything is pulse bursts and bolts now. The use of sound effects aboard the Shenzou from across all the series was nice. The comms sound filled me with far too much glee.
    >I was very disheartened by how quickly the crew collectively lost it once Michael went against the captain. I realize they're not a war ship but the Federation IS a military organization. They didn't seem competent at all.
    >Was the poor guy with the concussion supposed to represent trekkies like me who want exploration of space, time, and states in the human condition other than constantly under pressure or pushed to the edge? I love me some space battles but I need good reasons for the ships to be blown up. The poor guy all confused babbling on about having moved past hostilities then dying seemed like a jab at fans like me... and I absolutely loved the Xindi arc and the Dominion War.
    >The space battle was a bit underwhelming in all its burnt orange-hued glory. At least the explosion of the Europa (Brexit commentary?) and the Klingon vessel that RAMMING SPEEDed it wasn't minor like so many ship explosions have been in the past.
    >Saru, gods bless him, is awesome. I lament the lack of other aliens on the forthcoming Discovery crew, though. We can afford it these days.

All in all, I enjoyed the first two episodes. I'm not going to stick around if things go down the worn out, bleak, cynical road BSG has trodden to death. Science fiction does not have to be dark and depressing to effectively and entertainingly comment on our humanity. Star Trek is about hope for the future, not wallowing in human misery and neuroses but overcoming them. Enterprise and DS9 took us down those roads very well and managed to pull us off them thanks to the main tenets of Trek: peaceful coexistence and understanding. 'We come in peace' seems to be the real enemy of Discovery. I hope to stick with the show and discuss it with y'all.

And re: 'Turnabout Intruder'... The woman was deranged. Trust none of her psychotic ramblings and leave it at that.
    Last edited by nx01a; 09-26-2017 at 03:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    And then they had sex with Humans and we got TOS Klingons.
    Well that was from a genetic virus using augmented human DNA.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I've never had a problem with the tech evolution on Prime Timeline Trek. Enterprise was human technology while everything afterwards I assumed was influenced by alien technology given now the sharing of tech in the federation. As for TOS and TNG there is a clear line of succession going from TOS to Star Trek the Motion Picture to Star Trek V and the Blue, Green, White LCARS which still had some old fashion buttons and knobs to the TNG's LCARS. The Earth of Star Trek went thru a third world war which almost sent humanity back to pre industrial technology and then rebuilt with technology influenced by alien tech it shouldn't look like anything we'd recognize IMO. Even if it looks "primitive" to us they had basically reinvented the wheel at some point and who knows where that would lead.

But it wasn't just the tech it was the aesthetics their ship's interior looked like a sleeker Kelvin, they had window viewscreens over traditional, and the flash back of the Vulcan School was straight out of Star Trek 09. You can interpret the TOS era tech in a new way without mimicking Kelvin. I known given the lawsuit they had this could be a sore subject some but Axanar did it brilliantly.
    Wait, so you're okay with the way technology looked in Enterprise, but you feel the disconnect with Discovery was too great? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me as this:

looks more modern than this:
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 09-26-2017 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Of all the sins against canon, this particular one, a female captain, is the one you're upset about?
    when did i say i was upset about anything?

All i have been doing is discussing the Enterprise female captain and what the TOS episode said.

I like the show, I signed up with CBS Access and I am about to watch those first 2 episodes again. I like Sonequa Martin-Green, she is my Commander, she can nerve pinch me anytime she wants. I liked Michelle Yeoh's performance as the Captain, and it was refreshing to see two women in command at the very beginning of the series. I also liked how the captain and commander walked in certain directions so that they created that huge Starfleet Delta symbol as a sign that the Shinzhou could see.

IF this show survives (and I really hope it does), I wonder if we'll get to see Commander Burnham promoted to Captain at some point (like Sisko on DS9). Then again, she's in a lot of trouble now career-wise, so who knows. Maybe she can get her rank back somehow. After all, Kirk was in a lot of trouble after he disobeyed a direct order from a superior officer and stole the Enterprise in Star Trek III, but was only punished slightly (being busted back down to Captain, which is what he loved being anyway) because he and his crew saved Earth in Star Trek IV.

Also, the first Star Trek: Discovery novel was released today:

Last edited by MoneySpider; 09-26-2017 at 06:27 PM.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Just saw the second episode, which was better than the first but it did feel a lot less Trek-like than the first episode suggested. Considering how much the franchise had run itself into the ground, I'm not sure if that's a bad thing. I certainly prefer the optimistic tone that runs throughout Star Trek and this seems to be more about war than, well, discovery but the TNG model of rather bland characters having rather bland relationships with one another could do with an overhaul. I'm not sure if the show will move closer towards what we love about Trek while giving it a slightlier edgier feel more in line with the original crew or take it way too far to the other extreme but I do think it's too early to tell.

What I do know is that I found it solidly compelling and I like the central character even more than I did after the first episode. The stupid dutch angles and oversue of lense flare does the otherwise high production values no favours but the second episode definitely had me intrigued to see what comes next - especially since most of the main cast and the Discovery itself are only coming along in the third episode. And hello to Jason Isaacs.

I don't live in the US so this doesn't apply to me but the way CBS is handling the show seems to be setting it up to fail. First, I have no idea why a new Star Trek show wouldn't air as all others have on regular broadcast TV or at least be made in conjunction with one of the other streaming/ cable services. Second, and more important, why the hell would they split the two-part pilot episode over paid and free services when the part that would really have people coming back is the second part, the one you have to pay for? It's greed to the point of shooting yourself in the foot.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

BANNED

Well that was from a genetic virus using augmented human DNA.
    I did not actually have a clue about what the deal was with the bumpy TNG Klingons.

I'm seriously surprised humans were involved.