Page 16 of 77 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666 ... LastLast
    Vertigo Psychonaut ChaoticScholar's Avatar

CBS All Access is the sole reason I will not see this show. They got a crappy deal to start with.
    "People look at us and see the poor and the mad, but they’re looking at us through the bar of their cages.

There’s a palace in your head, boy.

Learn to live in it always. " -- Grant Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    I'll never understand sending the captain and first officer on the same away missions. Shows a complete lack of understanding how the chain of command is supposed to work.
    It was common in the 22nd and 23rd century in Starfleet for it to happen but also 1st officers also doubled in their jobs like T'Pol and Spock were both also Science Officers. Now in the 24th century it became rare for both Command Officer and Executive Officer to go together on away missions unless for some specific reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    It was common in the 22nd and 23rd century in Starfleet for it to happen but also 1st officers also doubled in their jobs like T'Pol and Spock were both also Science Officers. Now in the 24th century it became rare for both Command Officer and Executive Officer to go together on away missions unless for some specific reason.
    In real life senior officers of a vessel would never go on a landing party mission anyway. That's what the grunts are for. The captain would stay behind and run things from the ship.
    They just do it on TV because the captain is usually the star of the show and they want to give him or her the most screen time and the most exciting scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    In real life senior officers of a vessel would never go on a landing party mission anyway. That's what the grunts are for. The captain would stay behind and run things from the ship.
    They just do it on TV because the captain is usually the star of the show and they want to give him or her the most screen time and the most exciting scenes.
    Yeah and also in real life they wouldn't be fighting Klingons. I always find it strange in Sci-Fi and Comics what real world things people have issues with when dealing with worlds built completely out of things that would never make sense in our world.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by KoriandrJean View Post
    Uhura running Navigations?!!

What episode is this from, please?

In answer to your question; obviously NOT.
    Hell she even took command of the Enterprise one time in TAS

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    The only problem with this video is that they don't understand why the Captain and First Officer were on the planet. It was the Federation that screwed up and caused the drought, they were just there to fix it. Other than that this is one of the better reviews of the pilot I watched.
    They didnt say that they caused the accident just that an accident happened.

I get the vibe they are going with the reboot movie version of the PD, in which case it is fine and expected to save a species so long as you don't affect their culture by allowing them to see you.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    That's an oversimplification of what happened with Worf. It would be more accurate to say that he had a romanticized view of Klingon culture, because his last memories of it was as a child. As a result, he behaved in a more orthodox manner than real Klingons. He was the equivalent of a Christian raised in isolation from other Christians who genuinely tried to live his life according to the ideals of Jesus, and then got introduced late in life to actual Christians who cheat on their taxes and mostly forget about Christianity past the occasional guilty trip to the confessional. He was in some ways a walking stereotype, making him seem odd to real Klingons, who paid lip-service to Klingons ideals while behaving mostly pragmatically and even nihilistically.
    This x 100! (10 char)

I remember his interactions with K'Ehleyr. He has a one-night-stand with her, and immediately proposes marriage because honor demanded it. She practically did a spit-take. She has to explain to Worf that they are both career officers and acting purely on Klingon honor would be insanely impractical. Worf comes across as some kind of evangelical nut who refuses to wear mixed fabrics because, hey, it says not to in Leviticus, dammit. While honor is a big part of their culture, real Klingons mix this with a heavy dose of pragmatism, common sense, and plain old hypocrisy and self-lawyering as to why particular situations "don't count". Not Worf, man, not Worf. He goes whole hog on it because on a certain level he's a little kid.

I kind of liked these first two episodes. I'm still upset about Yeoh's character, but I wasn't shocked about what happened to her either.

"You're dead!"- Soldier
    "You first"- Lightning, Final Fantasy XIII

"Yes, boo, cause this is Calvin Klein and I don't play that ****" - Tanisha

"You look like a fairy princess...that resides over the pits of hell." - New York

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed View Post
    I kind of liked these first two episodes. I'm still upset about Yeoh's character, but I wasn't shocked about what happened to her either.
    Yeah, I would have loved to see more of her, so here's hoping the next captain is as memorable.

Watched episode 3. That was a Tribble on the captain's desk. I swear. Hahaha
    When you lose the rhythm of the drumbeat of god, you are lost from the peace and rhythm of life.

1x03 'Context Is For Kings'
    Everyone aboard the Discovery is a self-centered, evil asshole apart from the idiot redhead doing her worst Merida from 'Brave' cosplay. I expect her to become a sociopath by the end of the season. And the big secret technobabble reasoning is, perhaps, the most foolish thing I've ever heard on any Star Trek show or movie, and that's counting in Warp 10 from VOY 'Threshold' with which this shares some uncomfortable parallels. This is like what would have happened to Tom Paris if all the assholes hadn't been killed in the VOY pilot episode: a terrifying ship run by intolerant bullies now made manifest in STD... DIS... DISC... whatever. I actually want the Klingons to kill them all.
    You get one more episode to get me to like or at least respect any of these people, STD, or this lifelong Trekkie is out.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    1x03 'Context Is For Kings'
    Everyone aboard the Discovery is a self-centered, evil asshole apart from the idiot redhead doing her worst Merida from 'Brave' cosplay. I expect her to become a sociopath by the end of the season. And the big secret technobabble reasoning is, perhaps, the most foolish thing I've ever heard on any Star Trek show or movie, and that's counting in Warp 10 from VOY 'Threshold' with which this shares some uncomfortable parallels. This is like what would have happened to Tom Paris if all the assholes hadn't been killed in the VOY pilot episode: a terrifying ship run by intolerant bullies now made manifest in STD... DIS... DISC... whatever. I actually want the Klingons to kill them all.
    You get one more episode to get me to like or at least respect any of these people, STD, or this lifelong Trekkie is out.

My Hand Cannon is that these "Klingons" will be stop at axenar then a young smooth head Kor, Koloth and Kang put an end these "Klingons" (forever known as the T'nag) for leading the Empire to defeat only the Albano escaped.
    Last edited by Deadxman; 10-02-2017 at 03:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadxman View Post
    My Hand Cannon is that these "Klingons" will be stop at axenar then a young smooth head Kor, Koloth and Kang put an end these "Klingons" (forever known as the T'nag) for leading the Empire to defeat only the Albano escaped.
    This entire series in my head canon is the fever dream of a dying 200 year old Sarek suffering from Bendii Syndrome as he rants on and on about his "past" to his wife Perrin about his "daughter" Michael Burnham an mental representation of his Bendii Syndrome in his life hence her angry, hostile, and not logical persona.