Page 2 of 73 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

I'm not exactly a huge Star Trek fan, though I was once. Was a big fan of TOS when I was a kid, and had a bunch of the toys and action figures... the bridge set, phaser, tricorder, communicator, all of it. I remember playing Star Trek with my friend and using the box a water heater came in as a jeffries tube. I loved TNG, though it was a bit hit-or-miss. Liked DS9 okay, though the ending sucked. Voyager was OK for a while, but I stopped watching at some point before it ended. Hated Enterprise. I watched the J.J. Abrams movie and enjoyed it well enough, but more as a novelty than as a new franchise I was interested in getting involved with. Didn't watch any of its sequels. And now, my interest in Discovery is minimal.

I guess I just lose interest in franchises after a while. The MCU is losing its luster for me too, even though the movies are still mostly good. I just want something new.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I'm remotely excited...as in I'm keeping my distance and making no contact with this.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

It seems to be making a few of the mistakes of Enterprise, not only the technology but also it seems to be sort of more action-oriented instead of exploration. Also, the uniforms are blue again (Made sense in Enterprise, as they were kind of descended from NASA's look, but here it seems kind of strange, especially since this is supposed to take place around the same time as "The Cage"), and you'd figure they'd be a little more inventive with the Alien crew member-he pretty much looks like he came off the set of any of the spin-offs. (Although the JJ series was kind of unimaginitive with the aliens too).

Also, a lot of the dialogue from the teasers seems to be strongly hinting at how special the speed of the ship is and how "we're going further than anyone else"-which is something that was pretty much an arc in Enterprise as well.

Plus another unknown semi-relative to Spock? Didn't exactly go over well the first time, although the concept of somebody brought up in the vulcan way becoming more human (or what it seems to be) instead of the other way around could be intriquing (Although that sounds sort of similar to Data's arc)
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

I'll give it a shot. For the most part, the cast is a big draw for me, and it's great to see Jason Isaacs and Michelle Yeoh working together. This is probably the strongest cast Trek's ever assembled for a main crew (since most Trek crews tend to be up-and-coming or rookie actors), including the Kelvinverse.

Though, i'm not gonna lie, Sonequa Martin-Greene is looking mighty fine.

My biggest problem with this show is that it's not plausible for it and TOS to be in the same continuity and a similar time period... that just doesn't work. So I'm choosing to keep TOS and ditch this.

If in the Kelvinverse I'm interested if the Prime Universe as been said no not interested and that's sad because I've seen all Star Trek episodes of all series and all films. Also nor getting the CBS All Access App I'll watch the première.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

I am muted about it, like Enterprise I don't like the idea of them meddling with Star Trek's past continuity, to the extent I hear it's basically going to secretly be another alternate timeline like the Kelvin one. And that other rumor that CBS has already given up on this show and is planing to imply it was always an anthology series and replace it with the in development Kahn mini series.

Really it feels like they don't know what works with Star Trek or what the feel of it should be anymore. And the TNG/DS9/Voyager era was my Star Trek, so I would like it if we finally got to have stories set in that period (or maybe ones set between TOS and TNG).

BANNED

As a Trekker, i am! I willgive it a chance before making any jugdements.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    My biggest problem with this show is that it's not plausible for it and TOS to be in the same continuity and a similar time period... that just doesn't work. So I'm choosing to keep TOS and ditch this.
    He says having not seen it.

I'm not "excited", since I don't really feel that way about any show. "Interested" works. I was into TNG and DS9, but not Voyager or Enterprise. I gave them all a shot, though. I'll do the same with this.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    He says having not seen it.
    He says having seen enough to know that it looks absurdly different from anything in TOS.

I know the visuals of TOS are from the 60's and you couldn't replicate them today... but in that case they shouldn't do another show in that time period. It makes TOS canonically implausible, and a little ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    He says having seen enough to know that it looks absurdly different from anything in TOS.

I know the visuals of TOS are from the 60's and you couldn't replicate them today... but in that case they shouldn't do another show in that time period. It makes TOS canonically implausible, and a little ridiculous.
    I think people need to look at the TOS era differently one of course it's not our world but also it's a world that went thru a WWIII that nearly took it back to a Pre-Industrial Age tech and they had to rebuild with the added element of alien technology once 1st contact happened so god knows what their tech would like in the 23rd century compared to us.

I was (sadly) more interested in the Orville to be honest. I'll give STD (that is rather unfortunate) a look with no expectations.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

BANNED

The visuals of the Originals Series are so rooted in the 1960's it's pretty much always been incompatible with the rest of Trek,crossovers notwithstanding.

Fantastic Member

Morbid curiosity might be a better way of describing my present interest. If it succeeds great, but right now I find the drama surrounding it more interesting than the ideas behind the show itself.