Page 27 of 77 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    TNG has sexual violence... It was pretty much Tasha Yar's entire backstory.
    Deanna Troi was mind 'violated' multiple times too. Also DS9 touched on the topic of sexual slavery too.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

BANNED

Discovery is darker than average Trek. I'd say it's somewhat the same gloom & doom level as DS9.

But somehow people are freaking out and convincing themselves this is Trek 40K.

Personally, I'm still sniggering over the most secret and secure part of the ship being locked behind a single breath based lock.
    Two step verification has been forgotten in the future? Maybe a simple face scan as the person breathes into the sensor would help?
    "Let me guess. My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!"
    @Matt_of_Geek
    Now writing at The Atomic Junk Shop

CBR Community Standards and Rules

BANNED

As someone who basically gave up on DS9 and Voyager in their 2nd seasons, because I just found them boring. I am actually liking this show a lot, it's a bit grittier and edgier than I expect from Trek. I like Burnham, like Gina Torres on Suits, it's sort of nice to see a black woman play strong without coming across as a shrew.

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    And that final scene? spoilers:
    'Mirror' universe episode to come,
    end of spoilers indeed.
    spoilers:
    Since they used Stamets to foreshadow that, is it connected to him injecting himself with the whozitmajig?
    end of spoilers
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Incredible Member

yeah

I remember a certain classic episode where a famous klingon once said "don't start a fight in a burning house."

how have they been changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    As someone who basically gave up on DS9 and Voyager in their 2nd seasons, because I just found them boring. I am actually liking this show a lot, it's a bit grittier and edgier than I expect from Trek. I like Burnham, like Gina Torres on Suits, it's sort of nice to see a black woman play strong without coming across as a shrew.
    She's not a Shrew? I find her insufferable and for the life of me can't understand how she was ever a Starfleet Officer outside of maybe Section 31.

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    What!!?

I'd highly recommend someday if you ever have the free time to give them another chance. Those are my two favorite Trek series.

There's been numerous times where i didn't connect with a series at first for whatever various reasons and i then went back again at another time and enjoyed them immensely. Maybe they just aren't for you but might be worth giving it another try.
    I wanna ditch the logical... don't let me let you go...., living for the only thing i know, hanging by a moment... nom nom coffee nom nom tea.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post
    spoilers:
    Since they used Stamets to foreshadow that, is it connected to him injecting himself with the whozitmajig?
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Yeah, this isn't a mirror universe thing (which had nothing to do with mirrors anyway, and mirror universe Stamets would not look exactly like regular Starfleet Stamets, and not be in his mirror). This seems more a 'time and cause and effect have gone all wibbly-wobbly because we messed with R'Lyeh-space' thing, which is why by the time we get to TOS nobody has even heard about a Sporedrive.
    end of spoilers

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by shades of eternity View Post
    yeah

I remember a certain classic episode where a famous klingon once said "don't start a fight in a burning house."

how have they been changed.
    I don't get it.

I don't find Burnham to be insufferable. Maybe it's because I watch crap like Scandal where every character is insufferable that I have a higher tolerance for characters deemed insufferable on other tv shows. For all of her faults, Michael does seem to have some sense of self-awareness. Either she does, or I'm being fooled by Sonequa Martin-Green who is doing a great job with her.

"You're dead!"- Soldier
    "You first"- Lightning, Final Fantasy XIII

"Yes, boo, cause this is Calvin Klein and I don't play that ****" - Tanisha

"You look like a fairy princess...that resides over the pits of hell." - New York

Discovery is darker than average Trek. I'd say it's somewhat the same gloom & doom level as DS9.
    But somehow people are freaking out and convincing themselves this is Trek 40K.
    DS9 was never this dark, not even in the midst of a brutal war, not even in its most morally-questioning and/or violent episodes like 'In The Pale Moonlight' and 'The Siege of AR-558'.
    And the Klingons? I don't want to try and find a peace with these Klingons. I want these monsters erased from existence. Where's that Kevin Uxbridge guy when you need him?
    Last edited by nx01a; 10-17-2017 at 08:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

TNG has sexual violence... It was pretty much Tasha Yar's entire backstory.
    That was one reference to 'rape gangs' during 'Farpoint' but it certainly showed that human life outside the Federation could be horrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Deanna Troi was mind 'violated' multiple times too. Also DS9 touched on the topic of sexual slavery too.
    It only happened twice, I think: in the not subtly-titled 'Violations' (where Riker and Crusher got mind-raped, too) then the stupid rehash in 'Nemesis'. But then there's the time she got impregnated by an energy being that wanted to experience mortal existence.
    DS9 just makes me think of the name-dropped Vulcan Love Slave novels and holosuite programs which make me giggle and desperately try not to think too deeply about the non-consent connotations.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

DS9 was never this dark, not even in the midst of a brutal war, not even in its most morally-questioning and/or violent episodes like 'In The Pale Moonlight' and 'The Siege of AR-558'.
    And the Klingons? I don't want to try and find a peace with these Klingons. I want these monsters erased from existence. Where's that Kevin Uxbridge guy when you need him?
    I think the main thing to this "darkness" is Discovery lacking the lighthearted humor rather than there being darker subject matter which all of the other series shared. There were darker themes and moments and subject matter but it was offset by humor in other areas and tones. In DS9 for example you had Quark and Elim Garak providing many humorous moments, situations and adventures. That's why some claim Orville as more of an successor than Discovery. It's still quite early in Discovery's lifespan though, it could very well introduce some more lighthearted humorous aspects and tones.

I agree about the Klingons, worst part of Discovery in my opinion. Wish they simply made them something new. To change something that's iconic in the series legacy/mythos so drastically doesn't seem like the best approach to me *shrug*.
    Last edited by SXVA; 10-17-2017 at 09:43 PM.
    I wanna ditch the logical... don't let me let you go...., living for the only thing i know, hanging by a moment... nom nom coffee nom nom tea.

BANNED

The only differences in the Klingons I'm seeing are purely visual (agreed that the make-up is horrible, but then TNG Klingon make-up kept mutating into something better throughout the entire series, and started out in season 1 as a dude with an obviously fake forehead stuck clumsily to to his face, with some horribly fake looking hair).

Klingons of any era were always a bunch of brutal murderhobos who pretended they were decent people because of honour, nevermind that most of them conniving backstabbers who wouldn't know honour if they sat on it.

Worf was not a typical Klingon.

And you know what, the moment one of the Starfleet people does something shady, and it actually works out instead of backfiring horribly, then you can say the show is dark.
    If this were a dark show, Michael Burnham would be Captain of the Discovery because her mutinous actions saved thousands of lives and she defeatted the Klingons.

The message of the show so far is "Hard Men Making Hard Choices does not work." It's the anti-24.
    Last edited by Carabas; 10-17-2017 at 09:48 PM.