Page 3 of 73 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    The visuals of the Originals Series are so rooted in the 1960's it's pretty much always been incompatible with the rest of Trek,crossovers notwithstanding.
    I'd argue that the Abrams movies at least captured the uniform style (although with some modifications).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

The visuals of the Originals Series are so rooted in the 1960's it's pretty much always been incompatible with the rest of Trek,crossovers notwithstanding.
    That's why I think they should leave that era alone. As it stands you can accept that that things changed a lot in the several decades between TOS and TNG... but it doesn't make sense to have a series that takes place before, or around the same time as, TOS and have the level of technology be vastly different.

I agree with those who say the Trekverse should push forward, not look back.

I'll check it out despite the PC crap. At least it's in the original ST universe and not the Abbrams version. Plus I wanna see how Harry Mudd will be portrayed.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    The reason to keep going backward instead of forward in the timeline is so that the general audience doesn't get put off having to know too much about Star Trek history. You do something Trek post-Nemesis and there is bound to be a perception - whether based in reality or not - that you have to understand the movies, Voyagers, DS9, TNG, TOS, Enterprise....all of it. Turns some people away without giving it a chance (and there's a good chance justifiably so).
    I disagree. They could do a series/film with completely new characters only making small references to what came before, a fresh start that can still respect the canon. I'm sorry but I just don't understand your argument. Not everyone has seen the original Doctor Who episodes but at least New Who tries its best to have continuity without confusing anyone. When they keep going backwards it's not for any reason other than to appeal to nostalgia, and all they're doing is destroying the canon. It's ridiculous.

In that case, who even gives a crap about the present day of the Prime Timeline? I don't feel anything is lost by just letting it die.
    Most of the fans, believe it or not. It's been 20+ years since Nemesis, almost 10 since the destruction of Romulus. Given that STO is not canon and neither are the books (although both have some pretty great stories) , we know virtually nothing about what's happening in the Star Trek Universe and there are so many stories that could be told. Imagine a Star Trek series with trans/interwarp, new, more sophisticated technology, new galaxies and quadrants. Going backwards limits all the stuff you can do and new things that you can introduce. But clearly the DSC producers don't give a **** about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Skeleton View Post
    I'll check it out despite the PC crap. At least it's in the original ST universe and not the Abbrams version. Plus I wanna see how Harry Mudd will be portrayed.
    What PC crap?
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

I love when Star Trek fans complain about "PC crap" as if the show hasn't been progressive since day one.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    I agree with those who say the Trekverse should push forward, not look back.
    Same. Though at this point i just wish for a show using the good ol' formula of one ship exploring uncharted space, meeting new species and just boldly go where no one has gone before. Next Generation was great but it deals a lot with alpha and beta quadrant politics and big events. DS9 of course is centered mostly on one single place. I liked very much the more straightforward concept of Voyager. (it's not my favorite show, but the basic idea was really good)

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Same. Though at this point i just wish for a show using the good ol' formula of one ship exploring uncharted space, meeting new species and just boldly go where no one has gone before. Next Generation was great but it deals a lot with alpha and beta quadrant politics and big events. DS9 of course is centered mostly on one single place. I liked very much the more straightforward concept of Voyager. (it's not my favorite show, but the basic idea was really good)
    Yep. Back to the basics... same premise as TOS but with a new crew. No fancy high concept. I suppose audiences today require story arcs, but I miss the days when you could watch any Trek episode at random and everything would make sense. They should aim for that.

Also I'm annoyed with STD over the Spock now spoilers:
    Has an adopted human sister
    end of spoilers I mean really we never heard about this before? That's my issues it's all due to it being set in the Prime Timeline 10 years before TOS. Make it after Nemesis or even between the Undiscovered Country and TNG. But how it contradicted Prime canon annoys me a lot and I'm usually not a stickler for such things like Enterprise never bothered me because it was so far away from anything already Canon.

Oh also Star Trek was always "PC" to quote Jonathan Frakes "Gene was a proud card carrying Liberal" so yeah I don't get where Star Trek was ever not PC diverse cast, first interracial kiss on American television, and one of the first same sex kisses on American Television on DS9 this show was always that.

I'll have to figure out which channels they are showing it in, but I am usually one to check out most things Star Trek.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

I'll try it and if I like it, I'll continue to watch it, but I'm not really excited about it like I am other TV shows.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

The further back in the timeline it goes, the less interested I become. We already know how things end up, generally. How about instead of 10 or 100 years before TOS, we see what 100 years after Voyager looks like. I’m not the biggest Trek fan, so if there are books about this premise I’m not really aware of them.

I don't know if I'd go as far to say "excited," but I want to see it.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

BANNED

I was reading Peter David's blog, his thoughts on this series so far are quite amusing. Boiled down to "At least with Abrams Treks, you could actually see ****"