Page 34 of 77 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Just saw on Trekyards that Discovery is not only larger than the Constitution Class Enterprise but it's larger than Excelsior and even the Sovereign Class Enterprise the Flagship of the Federation a 120 years after these events take place. Why did they place this show in the Prime Timeline during the TOS Era?
    Size isn't really an indicator of anything though, just because something is larger doesn't mean its more futuristic or advanced. Not to mention the Discovery has holes in it.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Size isn't really an indicator of anything though, just because something is larger doesn't mean its more futuristic or advanced. Not to mention the Discovery has holes in it.
    When it comes to Federation Capital/Explorer Ships they have a history in continuity of getting larger except for the Abrams Enterprise which was a different Timeline not Prime.

When it comes to Federation Capital/Explorer Ships they have a history in continuity of getting larger except for the Abrams Enterprise which was a different Timeline not Prime.

To me, the Enterprise-E doesn't look larger than the Enterprise-D...it just looks longer/more stretched out...

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    To me, the Enterprise-E doesn't look larger than the Enterprise-D...it just looks longer/more stretched out...
    Horizontally the D is definitely bigger given the Enterprise-E depending on the references has between 24-29 Decks and the Enterprise-D has 42 Decks.

It should probably be noted though that Discovery doesn't seem to be able to hold her own that well compared to the Enterprise, though. She's already lost a couple battles (one leading to the destruction of a fellow Starfleet vessel they tried to save), whereas Enterprise could take a beating of several torpedoes and still keep going, sustain blasts from the Planet Killer, and engage (via the M5 computer) four other Constitutions. Plus, Enterprise has the ability to at least glass a planet's surface. The Klingons want Discovery for her tech, while the Klingons wanted Enterprise as a trophy to show just how good they were, so it had one heck of a battle reputation.

Discovery may have been in more battles in less time, but she's also fared worse and only really winning her battles because she has unique tech. Take that away and she's not as strong as the Enterprise. So Discovery may be more advanced in travel and as a science platform, but not as sturdy or as offensively poowerful as the Enterprise. Bigger isn't always better depending on what that ship is made for, and her real strength isn't in combat but rather as a testing platform for new technologies. And, as we saw on the show, the Constitution is still regarded as *the* class to serve aboard for Starfleet's best.
    Last edited by Cyke; 01-08-2018 at 10:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Just curious if anyone on this thread realizes that, outside of this thread, Star Trek: Discovery has dropped completely off the radar? I mean, Star Trek has traditionally been an ever-present thing, something at least vaguely present in the collective consciousness of our culture. Not the case with this show. It's basically dropped completely off the map. Unless you are specifically looking for it, there's no indication that Discovery actually exists.
    I think part of the problem is that they put it on CBS All Access rather than airing it on CBS or CW.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    I think part of the problem is that they put it on CBS All Access rather than airing it on CBS or CW.
    Also that it's not on Netflix in the US and Canada (where a bulk of the Trekkies are), whereas it's on the Netflix of the rest of the world. So the rest of the world keeps talking about it while US and Canada fans drop off during the break until new episodes air again.

In fact, Netflix's numbers from all the other countries not using CBS All Access is exactly what got Discovery renewed for a second season. Discovery was making a profit before the show even debuted on All Access, because Netflix was producing that profit for CBS. Netflix obviously has a wider catalogue and thus is watched more, but it would keep shows in the public consciousness (like how Stranger Things or the Netflix releases of Black Mirror remain in viewers' minds even though the time between seasons is so long for relatively few episodes). Just having the show pop up on your menu is itself a form of free advertising for them.
    Last edited by Cyke; 01-09-2018 at 09:04 AM.

Netflix actually tells you when a show you've been watching has new episodes, which is a great way to retain viewers, without paying a dime for advertising. I know it works on me. Shows on regular TV with weekly episodes sometimes pass me by when they return after a break. Never happens on Netflix.
    Live true or lie well.

Isn't Discovery only 244 metres though? Its just barely bigger than the Enterprise and like I said, the way the ship is designed artificially expands its length because it has so much empty space. Also the neck of the Discovery leans forward a bit more than the Enterprise.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Just curious if anyone on this thread realizes that, outside of this thread, Star Trek: Discovery has dropped completely off the radar? I mean, Star Trek has traditionally been an ever-present thing, something at least vaguely present in the collective consciousness of our culture. Not the case with this show. It's basically dropped completely off the map. Unless you are specifically looking for it, there's no indication that Discovery actually exists.
    You don't seriously think this particular thread is the only thread anywhere on the internet with people talking about this show...?
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

I got to the Not!Klingon security chief having another PTSD moment and I realized I'd had enough. I shouldn't be watching something I have to literally force myself to watch. I went reading reviews and I'm very glad I stopped watching 5 minutes into the episode or I would have been extremely angry having actually seen the [obviously] evil brown guy kill the brown gay guy. Oh, for Q's sake, Trek! Not only did the Culper/Stamets relationship receive minimal attention, now the good doctor is dead. If the end of season 1 involves, as I hope, our heroine time traveling back to stop the war [and this Mirror Universe crossover] from happening, I look forward to giving Discovery another try should things become less dark and depressing. Right now, however, I just can't continue watching it. I think I'll be reading synopses and reviews and watching Youtube clips from now on.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    I got to the Not!Klingon security chief having another PTSD moment and I realized I'd had enough. I shouldn't be watching something I have to literally force myself to watch. I went reading reviews and I'm very glad I stopped watching 5 minutes into the episode or I would have been extremely angry having actually seen the [obviously] evil brown guy kill the brown gay guy. Oh, for Q's sake, Trek! Not only did the Culper/Stamets relationship receive minimal attention, now the good doctor is dead. If the end of season 1 involves, as I hope, our heroine time traveling back to stop the war [and this Mirror Universe crossover] from happening, I look forward to giving Discovery another try should things become less dark and depressing. Right now, however, I just can't continue watching it. I think I'll be reading synopses and reviews and watching Youtube clips from now on.
    If you want diversity you have to expect bad things will happen too and be done by minority characters. The complaint that, "You can never just have a happy gay couple on tv!" is nulled by the fact that you can never have a happy couple on tv to begin with.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

It looks like we'll be staying in the mirror universe for the remainder of the season and I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it. If the characterizations stay strong and don't just devolve into mustache twirling I think it could be interesting but on the other side if they just go for action it could get old real fast. I will say that I do like the existence of the resistance to the Terran Empire and it looks like we may see a focus on that side of the Mirror Universe which would be different.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    If you want diversity you have to expect bad things will happen too and be done by minority characters. The complaint that, "You can never just have a happy gay couple on tv!" is nulled by the fact that you can never have a happy couple on tv to begin with.
    Sad but true. I still think Trek's first first gay couple deserved better than to have their relationship portrayed as an afterthought ending in madness and senseless death.
    It isn't just the minority issue[s], either. I'll be happy to see edited space battle sequences with the 'new' Constitution design but, for once, the human side of Trek is failing me along with any sense of positivity or hope for a better future. I won't be one of those 'fans' who constantly bitches about Discovery at every opportunity, though. If other people enjoy it, great. I'm just not one of them anymore.

On another note... Why didn't another human just get injected with more tardigrade DNA and used to jump back? Seems like the right time to break Federation anti-genetic manipulation laws again. Sure the jump didn't work out so well for Stamets but the whole ship's in danger now as well as the whole Federation if the Klingon cloak info doesn't get back to their universe soon. Was this addressed in any way?
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

I should've known they would have made Georgiou the Emperor, anyway good episode. Also I believe that Lorca is from this universe and escaped after he killed the mirror universe Burnham.