Page 36 of 77 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast

I loved the little exchange between Michael and Saru "It's good to see you, Saru", "And you, my friend". Awesome to see Saru has come around in his opinion on Michael. And he was also kinda badass whilst taking charge of the situation in the Captain's seat. Great performance by Doug Jones.

So Mirror Landry is pretty much the same character as 'our' Landry. I thought the twist was gonna be that Lorca took Landry with him from the Mirrorverse. But no.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

Quote Originally Posted by Mormel View Post
    I loved the little exchange between Michael and Saru "It's good to see you, Saru", "And you, my friend". Awesome to see Saru has come around in his opinion on Michael. And he was also kinda badass whilst taking charge of the situation in the Captain's seat. Great performance by Doug Jones.

So Mirror Landry is pretty much the same character as 'our' Landry. I thought the twist was gonna be that Lorca took Landry with him from the Mirrorverse. But no.
    Oh man, I cannot STAND Saru.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    Oh man, I cannot STAND Saru.
    I had an issue with him in the first couple eps, but he's won me over big time ever since the Paavo mission. I'm curious about Kelpian society as well.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post
    RE: the Klingons

it was a bit weird to me at first, but Im used to it now

the whole philosophy of keeping the Klingon race "pure" almost necessitates them looking "alien"
    Personally I find it doesn't work. Instead of looking alien, the stiffness of so much plastic inhibits the actors ability to, well, ACT, which pulls me out of scenes, and reminds me that I am watching a bunch of people buried in costuming playing "let's pretend".

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Personally I find it doesn't work. Instead of looking alien, the stiffness of so much plastic inhibits the actors ability to, well, ACT, which pulls me out of scenes, and reminds me that I am watching a bunch of people buried in costuming playing "let's pretend".
    so not a fan of aliens in the original Star Trek series?

I thought it was an okay finale, no better or worse than the series as a whole. Nice Clint Haward cameo, I think the stuff on the planet was the better than the larger machinations that were occurring. I really enjoy seeing the updates to the old TOS aliens, something I praise Enterprise for as well.

The cliffhanger was good, in so far as it could have been much, much worse. No Borg, no Vulcan being destroyed, no stupid things like that.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

this should've ended with the whole thing being a simulation.

This is an ok sci-fi show, a Trek show? Nah.

All-New Member

*season spoilers*

I think one of the things that bothered me so much is the way that everyone just accepts mirror-verse Phillipa. Now, as a viewer, I think the character is pretty interesting and the performance was very fun. But, in universe, it seems really out of character that the Federation is just fine with pardoning her and covering up everything that she's done. I mean, to use a real world example, she's basically space Hitler. I can understand the desperation to work with her in the first place, but then it felt super hypocritical when Michael goes into the Federation "moral superiority" speech while completely ignoring the fact that they're fine with evil Phillipa not only being set free, but being pardoned. I mean, she's shown she's a pretty huge threat by the fact that she was in the prime universe for what, maybe a few days before she came up with a plan that completely crippled the Klingons. And she's made it pretty clear she doesn't care about the Federation and views them as weak. I don't think it's a stretch to think that she has less than noble intentions for the rest of the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Nex Vesica View Post
    *season spoilers*

I think one of the things that bothered me so much is the way that everyone just accepts mirror-verse Phillipa. Now, as a viewer, I think the character is pretty interesting and the performance was very fun. But, in universe, it seems really out of character that the Federation is just fine with pardoning her and covering up everything that she's done. I mean, to use a real world example, she's basically space Hitler. I can understand the desperation to work with her in the first place, but then it felt super hypocritical when Michael goes into the Federation "moral superiority" speech while completely ignoring the fact that they're fine with evil Phillipa not only being set free, but being pardoned. I mean, she's shown she's a pretty huge threat by the fact that she was in the prime universe for what, maybe a few days before she came up with a plan that completely crippled the Klingons. And she's made it pretty clear she doesn't care about the Federation and views them as weak. I don't think it's a stretch to think that she has less than noble intentions for the rest of the universe.
    Agreed I think they're setting up Georgiou to be Discovery's version of Khan.

I watched the first half of the season but couldn't bring myself to watch the mirror universe episodes. If the main universe depressed me beyond belief, why would I watch the horror of the mirror universe? I've been keeping informed via reviews and decided to watch the finale for completeness, and I have several issues.
    -The writers ripped off the conclusion of the Dominion War: the 'evil' members of Starfleet have a plan to destroy the enemy but good guys foolishly give the 'cure' to their enemy's problem to a very untrustworthy one of those enemies. At least we knew that Odo giving the cure to the Section 31 disease to the Female Changeling via linking would most likely also change her mind about the solids due to his friendships and love for Kira. How the Hell could Starfleet ever think to trust L'Rell with the bomb's controller? She might have decided to unite the houses and still destroy the Federation. It was an absolutely foolish decision. Burnham facing the Klingon houses and making them withdraw would have worked far better for me. And having the Federation's morality kick in when a Klingon fleet is literally in the Sol system ready to obliterate Earth? Admiral Cornwell should have had the entire bridge staff confined to the brig and let Mirror Phillipa blow up Qo'nos.
    -The answer to all of this ridiculously game-changing technology [the spore drive] never being mentioned again or important scientific discoveries hushed up but randomly stumbled upon later [the mirror universe in a decade by the Enterprise] is that Starfleet simply classified the information? Hhh. That means Starfleet is going to let the crew of the USS Defiant die in a decade since the Discovery crew... discovered that it crossed over to the MU at some point in their future. That's cold.
    -Tyler and Burnham. He's a brainwashed, species reassigned spy who has already murdered one of the only nice people on the ship and tried to murder her! There are some things love can overcome... and this isn't one of them. Still having feelings for each other when you might snap and murder her while she's having romantic feelings for a member of the unrepentant, vicious species who raped and killed her mother while she listened in terror? Ew.
    -The Mirror Universe and its continuing trope of evil bisexual women. This show continues to give... lip service... to being progressive while murdering one half of an interracial gay couple and negating a male rape survivor's assaults and making him go off willingly with his abuser.
    -The Enterprise? Really? Talk about a desperate ploy to get viewers next season. The plot gymnastics required to explain why Spock isn't aboard will be epic.

Well, I got that out of my system. Good luck with season 2, y'all.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by Mormel View Post
    I had an issue with him in the first couple eps, but he's won me over big time ever since the Paavo mission. I'm curious about Kelpian society as well.
    I actually feel a little bad he's not Captain. To me he kinda earned that.

Incredible Member

For viewers outside the US...

I wanted to see how much of a train wreck this season was going to be but I find myself strangely intrigued by this trailer. It's playful, hopeful, and seems fun. Of course, the first trailers for season 1 didn't give any indication of the literal horrors I'd watch. I might as well give it a shot. I mean, it IS[?] Star Trek.

But to be fanboy snarky... A mystery message in space and time, floating scanning devices, space suit running sequences... Someone clearly wants to finish the story Stargate: Universe started. And Federation warp speeds won't allow them to travel across a third of the galaxy to look at the pretty red orbs up close. Thank Q we've got Discovery's Infinite Improbability Drive!
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    For viewers outside the US...

I wanted to see how much of a train wreck this season was going to be but I find myself strangely intrigued by this trailer. It's playful, hopeful, and seems fun. Of course, the first trailers for season 1 didn't give any indication of the literal horrors I'd watch. I might as well give it a shot. I mean, it IS[?] Star Trek.

But to be fanboy snarky... A mystery message in space and time, floating scanning devices, space suit running sequences... Someone clearly wants to finish the story Stargate: Universe started. And Federation warp speeds won't allow them to travel across a third of the galaxy to look at the pretty red orbs up close. Thank Q we've got Discovery's Infinite Improbability Drive!
    Stargate or not, the premise means it's still the most exploration Trek will do since Star Trek: Enterprise. Which is a shame. I love space battles as much as the next Trekkie and I liked last season and two of the three Abrams movies, but the heart of Trek is exploration. I'm looking forward to this season just because of that (even if exploration is, say, just two episodes), but it's fitting that they return to the exploration bend thanks to the return of the TOS* Enterprise.

*Supposedly

Just want to say that I called it on the Elon Musk veneration this show did. Elon Musk is a hack, charlatan that seeks to destroy free media and calls heroes pedophiles.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut