Page 37 of 73 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast

I wonder if this series will have Captain Pike's accident, although the show implied it was happened when he was training cadets or something like that.

Kind of curious about the different uniforms by different ships here. Kind of reminds me of the Online game, where you can pretty much choose to wear any era Starfleet outfit you want. Although the uniform transition has hardly been smooth in the series either. In TOS, even when they're using the now classic outfits, we occasionally see crews from other vessels wearing the CAGE/WHERE NO MAN HAS GONE BEFORE outfits. (Charlie X, I think being the main example). The cadets in the post-TWOK films and the security guards still wear what are basically TMP outfits with some slight modifications. In TNG when they get the new more padded outfits in season 3 there are still members of the crew who wear the thinner outfits for a short time. In Deep Space Nine the same thing happens when they wear the grey "First Contact" outfits, there are occasionally TNG style outfits in the background.

....and then there's GENERATIONS, which flips between the TNG and DS9/Voyager style outfits for really no reason. This was because they intended to release a new uniform which was basically the TNG look with the flaps of the TWOK style uniforms, but for some reason it didn't work out (unfortunately, the first line of action figures already went into production with this look) and they decided to save money by using the DS9 look....something that's quite apparent with several of the actors looking like they don't fit in the outfits, especially Frakes who I think wound up with Avery Brook's.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    I wonder if this series will have Captain Pike's accident, although the show implied it was happened when he was training cadets or something like that.

Kind of curious about the different uniforms by different ships here. Kind of reminds me of the Online game, where you can pretty much choose to wear any era Starfleet outfit you want. Although the uniform transition has hardly been smooth in the series either. In TOS, even when they're using the now classic outfits, we occasionally see crews from other vessels wearing the CAGE/WHERE NO MAN HAS GONE BEFORE outfits. (Charlie X, I think being the main example). The cadets in the post-TWOK films and the security guards still wear what are basically TMP outfits with some slight modifications. In TNG when they get the new more padded outfits in season 3 there are still members of the crew who wear the thinner outfits for a short time. In Deep Space Nine the same thing happens when they wear the grey "First Contact" outfits, there are occasionally TNG style outfits in the background.

....and then there's GENERATIONS, which flips between the TNG and DS9/Voyager style outfits for really no reason. This was because they intended to release a new uniform which was basically the TNG look with the flaps of the TWOK style uniforms, but for some reason it didn't work out (unfortunately, the first line of action figures already went into production with this look) and they decided to save money by using the DS9 look....something that's quite apparent with several of the actors looking like they don't fit in the outfits, especially Frakes who I think wound up with Avery Brook's.
    They never explained it in universe, but the meta reason was because of money. It's cheaper to re-use old uniforms than to have all new uniforms made. People tend to forget that, until Abrams' reboot, the Star Trek movies were relatively low-budget.

BTW, what the hell is TWOK?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    BTW, what the hell is TWOK?
    TWOK is short for The Wrath of Khan.

Quote Originally Posted by Enterprise E View Post
    TWOK is short for The Wrath of Khan.
    Thank you. I've never heard that abbreviation before.

Just saw the trailer. Looks pretty good. The bit at the end of the trailer where they are in the lift and the alien sneezes green snot all over the place feels like something you would see on The Orville. I'm not complaining The Orville is a great show. Discovery started out rough but it takes place in the Abrams Universe so it's easy to cut it slack and go with the flow.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Discovery started out rough but it takes place in the Abrams Universe so it's easy to cut it slack and go with the flow.
    The producer still claim this is the Prime universe. I'd love an episode to show Discovery is set in an alternate reality.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Incredible Member

Looks like they're bringing back hair for the Klingons, and that hologram seems to indicate that the classic battlecruiser might make an appearance.

Also wonder how this show will tackle Spock's evolution from "The Cage" to TOS. In "Cage" he seemed a bit more emotional, whereas in TOS he seems much more balanced (part of his arc in the movies seems to be him embracing his more human side, especially after the contact with V'ger and after his rebirth).
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 10-10-2018 at 12:01 PM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Incredible Member

spent 10 bucks for no commercials again. Saw first episode of Season 2, loving the vibe and sense of... wait for it... discovery so far.

My love for Star Trek has kept me in this abusive relationship.

'Brother' certainly feels more like real Trek than everything after the second half of the first episode of season 1. I'd look forward to more of this optimism and hope except the space rapists [now with hair!] and bondage empress will be back next episode.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Fantastic Member

I recently watched Star Trek: Discovery Season 1, on Blu-ray. Excellent show! I was extremely impressed by the storyline, effects, acting, and cast. Well-done! Some observations:

-Great opening theme credits & song; it had a retro late 1960's vibe/tone, which was obviously an intentional homage to the Classic Trek series (or, TOS for short).

-The effects were the best I've ever seen for a ST TV series - especially the exterior space scenes with the various colors, etc. - nice.

-It's interesting that in TOS, the Klingons were completely human. And, in the later films featuring the original cast & ST: TNG, the Klingons were slightly more alien... IIRC, the retroactive explanation was that the Klingons in TOS were Klingons that had bred with humans - LOL.

However, in ST: Discovery they depict the Klingons as completely alien, sinister looking, & almost animalistic; I don't think they've been depicted this way in any other TV/film ST series. I guess this is because it's a re-boot, even though it seems to take place chronologically before the events in the original ST series. I'm glad my Blu-ray set had subtitles re: their language.

-Interesting that Sarek (Spock's father) played a critical role in this series, as the mentor to Michael Burnham, who had her parents killed when she was a child, and was taken under the wing of Sarek & his wife.

-The "alternate universe" sequence that was a critical plot point in the last 4-5 episodes was extremely interesting & complex. You really had to pay attention to follow what was going on here. This was obviously a homage to the excellent 'Mirror Mirror' TOS episode.

In closing, though the show was great, I also found it somewhat complicated. I will probably need to watch S01 again in it's entirety at some point in the next year. I always benefit from a second viewing of shows like this, so I can catch what I may have missed the first time around.

Side-note: I know S02 has just begun, but I will probably just wait to watch the entire S02 on Blu-ray as well, so I can watch all of the episodes back-to-back. I suspect this will be released towards the end of 2019 (S01 came out on Blu in November 2018).

Extraordinary Member

I kind of like Discovery, but it continues to put all its focus on the least interesting character on the show. Michael just isn't a compelling character even if everyone around her is fascinating and the overall story is interesting. But she did seem quite so bad in the first episode of season 2. Maybe it's because she showed actual emotions this time. I know she's supposed to be raised by Vulcans, but the actress can't pull off what Spock, T'Pol, or Tuvak's actors could with those characters.

Fortune cookie hint Lorca is coming back.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    I kind of like Discovery, but it continues to put all its focus on the least interesting character on the show. Michael just isn't a compelling character even if everyone around her is fascinating and the overall story is interesting. But she did seem quite so bad in the first episode of season 2. Maybe it's because she showed actual emotions this time. I know she's supposed to be raised by Vulcans, but the actress can't pull off what Spock, T'Pol, or Tuvak's actors could with those characters.
    I think they could salvage the show best by killing off Michael and refocusing on a larger, more likable cast. That would also explain in continuity why we never heard about Spock’s “sister” (because she’s dead)... not that continuity is high on Discovery’s list of concerns.
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!

Finally got to watch season 1 episode 1.

- Pike is great. Not a faultless captain, but folksy, approachable, patient, with good humor but can be deadly serious when need be. I liked Lorca but Pike is refreshing (especially during his one-on-one talks with Michael), and I'm glad the show is fleshing out his Prime version more. A good successor to Jeffrey Hunter and Bruce Greenwood.

- With that said, I loved Pike listing off in rapid fire succession an analysis, a plan, and detailed orders to each of the bridge crew, only to end on, "Detmer... um, fly good."

- This is going to shift my perception of TOS a bit, in that if we know Spock can solve this cosmic, almost supernatural mystery, then that must mean almost all his TOS adventures were a cake walk for him, and that's fine by me

- With that said, the show kind of makes me wish TOS were serialized, because then it would mean that anything complex and conceptually challenging that the writers could throw at Shatner, Nimoy, Kelley, etc., they would handle.

- the pod launch sequence = LET'S GO VOLTRON FORCE

- sure, it's not surprising that Pike's science officer/Michael's competition would've been killed, but goddamn did he have a punchable face, too

- "Commander Jet Reno of Starfleet" is a pulp fiction name if I've ever heard one, and I hope she comes back
    Last edited by Cyke; 01-22-2019 at 10:54 AM.