Page 39 of 77 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041424349 ... LastLast

I'm just shocked I'm enjoying the show!

Something about the spore room scene with the bickering and the sick crew member and having to channel all the electricity reminded me of 'Disaster' in addition to the usual 'ship disabled' plot.

The excessive and blatant borrowing from/recycling of Trek staple situations is what helped prematurely kill Enterprise, so I'm worried that I can see so many [hehe] Parallels in just one episode. It was really like the best bits of each of those episodes were excised and stitched together to make one Frankenstein episode that still really worked. If they keep this good quality up, I won't care if they never end their [hehe] Search for Spock.

spoilers:
    I'm hoping Saru's new fearlessness leads him to break the Prime Directive and save his people from unnecessary slaughter. It would be interesting seeing if he could pull a Michael and disregard orders to try and save lives. He'd certainly know first hand what went through her mind when she rebelled.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by nx01a; 02-11-2019 at 11:41 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Wow. Discovery seems to be undoing everything it did wrong last season. There was heart-pounding action without the need for gore and violence, layers of science fiction technobabble shenanigans with top notch special effects, and several very human stories amidst the action. Not even Bondage Empress and Half Klingon could ruin this one for me. And Admiral Cornwell makes me smile every time she appears on screen. This season and the show's turn around continue successfully!
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

BANNED

It's also pretty interesting that the Red Signals might be associated with Time Travel.

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    It's also pretty interesting that the Red Signals might be associated with Time Travel.
    Maybe Spock will undo the horror that was season 1. *still bitter*

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Maybe Spock will undo the horror that was season 1. *still bitter*
    Mean! S1 was not that bad. I actually liked it, especially the episodes of the Mirror Universe. It is much, MUCH better than that horrible Wrath of Khan unofficial remake.
    Anyway, maybe they hinting something massive.

I refused to watch the Mirror episodes, actually. I skipped straight from Culber's death to the season finale. What I read about them and the clips I saw from them reinforce my choice never to watch them.

BANNED

I refused to watch the Mirror episodes, actually. I skipped straight from Culber's death to the season finale. What I read about them and the clips I saw from them reinforce my choice never to watch them.
    Personally, i found the Mirror U arc to be the highlight of the season.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I am enjoying this season of Disco much more than last season. Granted, I was really enjoying last season too until it went off the deep end of whatever creative tug a war was going on behind the scenes. Hopefully the same doesn't befall this second season, which genuinely feels like a Star Trek show in a way I haven't seen since Star Trek Beyond.

I refused to watch the Mirror episodes, actually
    Haha, i did the same. Sounds so boring to me, so overdone.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    Personally, i found the Mirror U arc to be the highlight of the season.
    I might have agreed, save for the Lorca material. They took their most interesting and layered character and made him a mustache twirling one note psychopath. It really devalued the rest of the season in a way that harmed the run. They could easily have gotten to the same end point without completely throwing the character under the bus and they would have been stronger for it.

But honestly, Season 2 may be stronger because of Season 1's weaknesses. It feels like lessons were learned. I'm still hesitant about what the writers are doing with Spock, they're really going to have something special up their sleeve to justify where they've gone so far. But Pike has been a fantastic addition, and it feels like Burnham is finally reaching a place of likeability.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    I might have agreed, save for the Lorca material. They took their most interesting and layered character and made him a mustache twirling one note psychopath. It really devalued the rest of the season in a way that harmed the run. They could easily have gotten to the same end point without completely throwing the character under the bus and they would have been stronger for it.

But honestly, Season 2 may be stronger because of Season 1's weaknesses. It feels like lessons were learned. I'm still hesitant about what the writers are doing with Spock, they're really going to have something special up their sleeve to justify where they've gone so far. But Pike has been a fantastic addition, and it feels like Burnham is finally reaching a place of likeability.
    Never liked Lorca! ;p

I'm with you on Lorca, he was actually my favorite character so Bad A$$. Then again a lot of people may have been turned off by having such a morally ambiguous Captain.

Quote Originally Posted by dreyga2000 View Post
    I'm with you on Lorca, he was actually my favorite character so Bad A$$. Then again a lot of people may have been turned off by having such a morally ambiguous Captain.
    I've honestly not seen many (or any) complaints about Lorca himself really, to the point where killing him off was the thing that had the most complaints. He was a good foil to Burnham, and even if his no-nonsense command and occasional humor were just facades, that it was a facade in the first place was a great reveal.

He's like a mix of Jericho, Pike (from the Cage -- serious, stoic, but occasionally sardonic), and Dukat, and frankly that's a great combination to be.

I'm interested to see where Mirror Georgiou is going with Section 31 and her new show, but frankly Lorca in that role would be super-engaging. And hey, there's always room for the return of Prime Lorca, as Culber's return has shown.

I do like how the season premiere was upfront about its comparisons between Pike and Lorca, though. Lorca was indeed a villain (not that that's a problem), so Pike making it explicitly clear that while he's a good guy he's no less professional was reassuring.

After the darkness of the first half of season 1, I genuinely couldn't take an extended trek into the heart of darkness itself aka the Mirror Universe.

I loved Lorca as a morally ambiguous captain. He wasn't outright evil but he was willing to do what was necessary for the greater good. Turning him into ... whatever he became in the MU episodes was a genuine waste. If the Prime Lorca returns, I hope he's exactly like the facade Mirror Lorca put on. What a post-Spock season finale reveal that would be, especially is Admiral Cornwell gives him command of Discovery [again/for the first time]!

The behind the scenes power struggles continue so I guess the second half of season 2 might be a complete mess... but we can only hope for the best. My plan for the worst already came into effect in season 1: skip what I don't want to make myself endure. If it worked then, it can work again.

Season 2 is finally giving me Star Trek without the unnecessary angst, needless gore, excessive violence, and oppressive hopelessness. This season also provided the only episodes of the series so far that I plan to rewatch: 'An Obol for Charon' and 'Saints of Imperfection'.

Extraordinary Member

I have one complaint. I think it was a bad move to bring anyone back to life in the prime universe. Spock's resurrection should be the first of its kind in the timeline, if not the only one altogether.