Page 4 of 74 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    My biggest problem with this show is that it's not plausible for it and TOS to be in the same continuity and a similar time period... that just doesn't work. So I'm choosing to keep TOS and ditch this.
    Thats kind of where I am, too - I'm way more excited about the Star Trek Continues 2 part finale, then I am about Discovery....

Can't wait! The only "television" show I'm looking forward too this fall!
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

I am interested, but not for $6 a month.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I'd be interested and maybe even excited for this new series if I had CBS All-Access. But I don't and won't be getting it for a single show I want to see.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I am interested, but not for $6 a month.
    Oh yeah forgot this is being stream, might not even give this a go then.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

I really feel for you guys having to play with a new service if you want to watch this. One of the few times I can be grateful for being in the UK with Netflix and already having it, I suppose.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    I really feel for you guys having to play with a new service if you want to watch this. One of the few times I can be grateful for being in the UK with Netflix and already having it, I suppose.
    Oh, cool. We too. Makes up a little bit for all the stuff we don't have on Netflix, I guess.
    I'll give it a look tonight.

Not exactly "Excited".

More like "This Seems Like It Has Potential, But The Network Is Really Trying To Talk Me Out Of It."

"We'll throw in Kevin Can Wait for free if you'll pony up the cash for this." That's a hard sell.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    Oh yeah forgot this is being stream, might not even give this a go then.
    Ehh, there are certain aspects people are not realizing. For one, the first episode is airing on television. And secondly, for those outside the US, the show will be airing weekly on Netflix. So it's not solely a CBS All Access exclusive series.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Oh, cool. We too. Makes up a little bit for all the stuff we don't have on Netflix, I guess.
    I'll give it a look tonight.
    Plus the advantage that if I don't like Discovery I'll have all the other Trek shows to watch and rewatch in its place, since all six classic shows have been available to stream on Netflix UK since the start of the year.

BANNED

Well, that was disappointing.

On closer look Netflix Belgium only has a trailer with an actual episode to follow the 25th.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Well, that was disappointing.

On closer look Netflix Belgium only has a trailer with an actual episode to follow the 25th.
    That was always the case

Incredible Member

it's showing on space in canada.

I hope it and orville start competing , so it improves the quality of both shows.

(kinda like how both b5 and ds9 did).

B5 improved?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    I disagree. They could do a series/film with completely new characters only making small references to what came before, a fresh start that can still respect the canon. I'm sorry but I just don't understand your argument.
    That's because you're not paying attention to what I said. Trek fans, to a large extent, will always feel an invested interest in something that carries the franchise name, and will have certain expectations of it. The casual viewer will not. For many, as soon as they here "after Picard" or something similar regarding the show's setting, they are in many cases likely to meet it with an eye roll and a general reaction of indifference, just because they aren't familiar with all that's gone before.

Your Doctor Who reference doesn't really work, because there's never been enough continuity there to matter much. You can watch any episode from the first on and not have to know anything about what has come before. There are vague references, but not in any plot-defining way. Trek doesn't have that history. It's all over the place with timelines crossing, merging, diverging. It's not out of the question to suppose that someone casually interested in Trek - if that much - and hearing that it takes place after all the other events, might suppose that means the same sort of convolution that Generations was.

Not saying that view is or must be valid, but that's not the point. The pre-conception of the uninvested potential viewer is what needs to be addressed. Trek fans alone will not make a Trek series a success, just as comic fans alone won't make a comic book movie a success.