Page 47 of 73 FirstFirst ... 3743444546474849505157 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Tried it. The scavenger captain and the alien monk where the only real standout characters to me and the show never clicked with me.
    Andromeda's strength was that it knew what it was and leaned into it. Discovery's problem is that it never knew what it was so it never had anything to lean into.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Andromeda's strength was that it knew what it was and leaned into it. Discovery's problem is that it never knew what it was so it never had anything to lean into.
    Funny, I gathered that the former lost its way in its last years (possibly due to the main person guiding it being replaced).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quite right but at least Andromeda had a strong guiding hand and ethos for the first part of its run before it became Hercules In Spaaaaace.

Those behind Discovery don't seem to know what to do with it so they're throwing anything into the show to see if it'll stick. So far, the best things they threw in were superior TOS characters... and we're getting what will probably be a superior show featuring said superior characters: Strange New Worlds. Discovery is ironically now somewhat like the anthology-type concept the original showrunner wanted: different focus/mission and location/time period each season [or half season].

Literally using the premise from Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda is weak, to say the least. I would have preferred the Discovery crew get to the future and find the Federation had really become like the Borg: forcefully annexing worlds into their hegemony. How do you fight your own organization when it spans half the galaxy? How do you save it when it has lost its way? Do you really want to fight against an organization that's going in and 'improving' the lives of alien civilizations even if it does so by force? That's a twist I'd love to see.
    Last edited by nx01a; 09-06-2020 at 07:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Mighty Member

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beantownbrown View Post
    Looks pretty good to me, hopefully we get more stand alone episodes.

That look of joy on Burnham's face was priceless.

Maybe this season is going to take the DS9 route -- whereas Discovery was pretty doom and gloom for the first two seasons, season 3 is putting them well past that point, and now they have to stick to Federation ideals to guide them to hope and light. In DS9's deconstruction of the Federation, especially during the war, they ultimately painted the reasons why utopia had to and should exist. Hopeful, optimistic Trek in their darkest hour is the best kind of Trek, rather than Discovery and Picard's pointless escalation over and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Literally using the premise from Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda is weak, to say the least. I would have preferred the Discovery crew get to the future and find the Federation had really become like the Borg: forcefully annexing worlds into their hegemony. How do you fight your own organization when it spans half the galaxy? How do you save it when it has lost its way? Do you really want to fight against an organization that's going in and 'improving' the lives of alien civilizations even if it does so by force? That's a twist I'd love to see.
    That...sounds pretty good.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

I just remembered that even Babylon 5 had a story in 'The Deconstruction of Falling Stars' where the Interstellar Alliance collapsed, leading to 1000 years of literal dark ages for Earth. Was the incident that derailed it also called 'The Burn'?

Also... 'The Burn'. Burnham. Did Michael inadvertently cause the destruction of the Federation, and the whole debacle got named after her? I'd laugh SO hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    That...sounds pretty good.
    It's the Anti-Prime Directive. It's what the Federation's been [ahem] primed for since DS9.

I really wish Trek still had an open script submission policy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    That look of joy on Burnham's face was priceless.
    Maybe this season is going to take the DS9 route -- whereas Discovery was pretty doom and gloom for the first two seasons, season 3 is putting them well past that point, and now they have to stick to Federation ideals to guide them to hope and light. In DS9's deconstruction of the Federation, especially during the war, they ultimately painted the reasons why utopia had to and should exist. Hopeful, optimistic Trek in their darkest hour is the best kind of Trek, rather than Discovery and Picard's pointless escalation over and over again.
    I hope they go back in time and prevent that future from happening. We know the ship goes back and is hidden in a nebula for ~1000 years.
    Last edited by nx01a; 09-09-2020 at 11:26 AM.
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

BANNED

Got to the episode where they end up in the mirror universe and immediately skipped to final season 1 episode. Please tell me this nonsense doesn't come back up in season 2

Quote Originally Posted by RockyHorror View Post
    Got to the episode where they end up in the mirror universe and immediately skipped to final season 1 episode. Please tell me this nonsense doesn't come back up in season 2
    I did the same thing.

No, the Mirror Universe doesn't come back in s2.

In hindsight I'm surprised to find that Discovery had 4 episodes devoted to the Mirror Universe. I honestly thought it was much longer (because it *felt* so long, ugh).

But god, the fact that they had a time jump near the end of the season just added to the whole disjointed feeling of the show.

Mighty Member

CBS All Access released the opening scene of season 3

Last edited by Beantownbrown; 10-09-2020 at 08:45 AM.

Looks good so far, but my main concern (albeit a small one) is that the culture and technology of the further future may look indistinguishable from the 23rd century of Discovery. Heck, it already sounds the same, and even the lighting is the same. I need to see Discovery just totally outmatched and out of her depth in more ways than one.

And maybe culture and technology have regressed to the point that it's at the same level as the 23rd century -- okay, but no aesthetics or tech are totally the same after 1,000 years, either. Even if the playing field is level, have our heroes be superior in one field but totally off guard in another. Anything that shows a big difference in this new setting, otherwise there's not much of a point in changing settings so drastically in the first place.

(though to be fair, whenever Berman-era Trek showed visitors from the future, tech and aesthetics somehow seemed to go *backwards* or remain stagnant. Fashion looks like it came from the 1980s, those visitors get outwitted with our heroes' "modern" tech, and even the great Xindi War of the 26th Century looks like any other battle on Voyager or Enterprise, in part because they recycled the Nova and Prometheus ship models, using essentially the same phasers as ever)
    Last edited by Cyke; 10-08-2020 at 09:48 PM.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I thought the first episode was pretty solid, the future tech seemed advanced enough to set it apart from Discovery and I loved Grudge the cat.